Main MessageBoard / Music /

ds1385

By Rebecca Haithcoat Tue., Mar. 20 2012 at 9:57 AM
LA Weekly - West Coast Sound

This weekend, L.A.-based DJ Fei-Fei Wang performed at Armin Van Buuren's trance party at the Beyond Wonderland rave. Within hours of her set, her Facebook wall was plastered with personal attacks. People were calling her a "dirty whore" and saying things like "Someone take a shotgun to Fei-Fei." Why? The DJ, dubbed the "bad girl of EDM," had played dubstep and other music that wasn't trance during her set.

We talked with Wang -- who has a masters in film production from USC and has been a DJ for over ten years -- to get her take.

What sparked the controversy this weekend?

Beyond Wonderland includes all kinds of music. This particular one, Armin was hosting his A State of Trance party. I did play trance, along with dubstep, moombahton, and a little hip hop. My style is very diverse and all the people there were totally into it. I'm a DJ; I play to the crowd.

So who were the people writing all the hateful stuff?

The show was broadcast on his site. Millions of Armin fans tuned in and they were the most upset. It's a huge party, and I was honored to be included. They were waiting for trance. I come on and take 'em for a ride. My set was unexpected, yes, but I didn't think I was gonna be receiving death threats on my Facebook. That's harsh.

Read the full interview at http://blogs.laweekly.com/westcoastsound/2012/03/dj_death_threats_fei_fei_beyond_wonderland_dubstep.php

http://youtu.be/Hew8iTlLW78

Main MessageBoard / Music /
SITE LINKS
Marketing
About Us
Privacy
Legal
SITE HELP
Contact Us
FOLLOW US
Lolli.org on Facebook Facebook
Lolli.org on Twitter Twitter
Lolli.org RSS Feed RSS Feed
NAVIGATION
Events
Msgboard
Mixes (New)
Mixes (Top)
Music Genres

Marketing
Artists
Interviews & Articles
Photo Gallery
Contests
Who We Are

New Mixes Top Mixes Genres
Member Stats
Interviews and Articles Photo Gallery Contests Who We Are
My Messages My Pics My Events My Artists & Mixes Account Settings Customize Lolli Logout