Main MessageBoard / The Scene /

SARA
All of us have a point in our lives where we didn't know what a rave was. We didn't know what EDM was. We didn't know that a glowstick could be used for anything other than an emergency roadside assistance kit. We didn't know what it felt like to be on the dancefloor, surrounded by your best friends, waiting for your favorite DJ to drop the beat.

But then, we had "that friend" that played a song for us that would change our lives, would give us a different perspective of life, would show us that as powerful as we thought music was already, that it is possible for it to define a whole way of life.

Or we had "that friend" that told us they were going to take us to a party. Only it would be no party that you had ever been to before.

Then, we were hooked. And we all realized that no matter what we did, we would never be able to go back to a life unaffected by EDM. That's how powerful it is.

Nearly every single one of my Pittsburgh friends have the same thing in common. We love EDM. I met my boyfriend at a party, I met my best friend at a party, I met their friends, I met more friends, those friends met my friends, etc.

I guess what I am trying to say, is that no matter what stage you are... new party kid, older partier, bedroom trance listener, ex-raver that just goes to clubs now, promoter, DJ, etc., your life has been drastically affected by a genre of music. It's just crazy to me that it all comes down to that.

My initial thread title was "Why Do You Rave" and my post didn't really reflect that at all, so I'll get back to it now. I don't go to events regularly anymore. But I still do on occasion. I "rave" because I love being social, and I love seeing the friends I've made over the years and sharing the thing we all have in common, which is a love of whatever THIS is. The music, the lights, the experience. It has changed my life, definitely changed my perspective on it, and has definitely given me opportunities that I will never forget.

TheEturn
i dont know if this will be on topic. but i got to say i remember my first experience. was that all my friends were going to this party (we had all listened to some "techno" music here and there) . . i remember i didnt go and now im 34 and my mom still makes fun of me that i missed that party. . .cause i was 17 and still at home. . as the morning news came on, my family was sitting around watching the news and on the news they showed video of the party the night before. .which was TUNNEL VISION . . i was so upset, i didnt miss another big party for the next 10years . .haha

brendshav
Too many reasons to think of them all, but a short list would be:
Being around my best friends for any reason.
Meeting new and awesome people who share a passion for something I love.
Helping people who haven't raved before learn how intense and amazing it can be.
Seeing the smile on peoples faces when you hand them a cold bottle of water.
Making eye contact with my favorite artists for a split second.
Making all the drunk people feel sorry for being too sloppy to go as crazy as I do.
Finally, working as a programming/web developer all I do is sit on my ass. So, I have a reason to get up, flip out, and look good! B^)

SARA
Post from TheEturni dont know if this will be on topic. but i got to say i remember my first experience. was that all my friends were going to this party (we had all listened to some "techno" music here and there) . . i remember i didnt go and now im 34 and my mom still makes fun of me that i missed that party. . .cause i was 17 and still at home. . as the morning news came on, my family was sitting around watching the news and on the news they showed video of the party the night before. .which was TUNNEL VISION . . i was so upset, i didnt miss another big party for the next 10years . .haha
Oh mannnnnn are you serious??? I would be kicking myself haha. That's hilarious your mom still makes fun.

I wasn't living in Pgh when that party happened and I was prob way too young anyways, but... I certainly have heard stories.

SARA
Post from brendshavToo many reasons to think of them all, but a short list would be:
Being around my best friends for any reason.
Meeting new and awesome people who share a passion for something I love.
Helping people who haven't raved before learn how intense and amazing it can be.
Seeing the smile on peoples faces when you hand them a cold bottle of water.
Making eye contact with my favorite artists for a split second.
Making all the drunk people feel sorry for being too sloppy to go as crazy as I do.
Finally, working as a programming/web developer all I do is sit on my ass. So, I have a reason to get up, flip out, and look good! B^)

Hahaha! Good reason!

drilldozerbaggins
embracing ideals in a rave environment and then applying them to "real life"
Dancing my fuggin' face off
Supporting local arists
meeting new people (obviously)
Being around people I enjoy most
Introducing new people to the scene
Giving things away and trading kandis
Smiling at people
Feeling the energy of those in attendance
Living in the present

TheEturn
Post from SARAOh mannnnnn are you serious??? I would be kicking myself haha. That's hilarious your mom still makes fun.

I wasn't living in Pgh when that party happened and I was prob way too young anyways, but... I certainly have heard stories.
YES, she does. . it cracks me up and upsets me. .hahaha. .  .anytime its me and my friends now-a-days at my parents for a BB-Q or something and we are reminissing. . she always has to add in that i missed tunnel vission. . .grrr. . .and my mother is NOT a party kind of person. . i mean she has helped me with larger events over the years. and had came out to nights to see me play(i believe the last time she came out was to see me play (a 90s jump-up set at the first RYBO with here friend -she digs old school hiphop and has heard enough drum and bass that she actually has a couple favorites from that era. . haha). . .However; she is not one to go out clubbing or even go out and drink or anything. . so it is funny coming from her. . . She absolutely loves the kids (as do I) and all the fun that people are having just being themselves, dressing funny, or serious. . i guess it reminds her when she was growing up in the 70s! BUT , yeah, she rubbs it in all the time. . LMAO

LittleStar
first, the music. But EDM can and does exist outside of raves.

Raves are a wholly unique experience where there tends to be a throwing off of masks usually worn by everyone almost 100% of the time. It is also uniquely zen because people tend to be genuine and in the moment at parties. People are people doing what they do while other people are there...its fascinating to be a part of and to see.

Almost never do you see people as they really are....at raves you get to see strangers as they really are. society tells us its not ok to be creative, to dance, to sing to the music, to stomp really hard to a beat...but at ravs its ok, and the unspoken norm of "fuck it we don't care" is really liberating and fun. It allows me to just be. Not be me the grad student or me the person in the store. just  me....however the fuck I feel like being at the time. Oh yeah, and did I mention, the wonderful music?

mayday
i asked myself that question dozens of times lol

pokexsmot
I'm a newbie lol I've only been to 3 events so far, my first one was on new years and this scene became a new addiction to me :P the way that you described how all of our lives change as soon as we are introduced to this lifestyle describes it perfectly! I've always been a fan of EDM but now that I've been to the epic parties I now understand the music and appreciate it 10 times more than I did. I love the parties because of the music, to make memories with the people I love, and making new friends is awesome :)

poptart
When I was in 7th grade, someone or something let me on to this thing called a rave. I didn't know what it was exactly, but I knew I could find like minded people at one. I wore beaded bracelets up to my elbows before I ever really knew what a rave was and loved highly electronically influenced music. I found out I could find these things at one of those rave parties. I found a patch at "On-Cue" that said "Rave". I bought it and put it on my backpack.

I could probably go on and on about my thoughts and feeling about "the rave." It's a love/hate relationship for me. But I will never lose sight of how much it has changed my life and how many wonderful people I have met because of the rave. I met my husband at the rave and most of the friends I have today...

So I rave because:
1. I have a passion for edm and shaking my tailfeathers.

2. I like most of the people I meet at the rave. No one can deny that there are some pretty shitty people at raves, but I think a good lot of them are decent.

3. I like the feeling of unity between so many different types of people. It might only be for that night and I don't even feel it all the time anymore, sometimes I feel like an outsider, but I know it can exist and that is pretty powerful.

4. I like the feeling of people accepting people and not being too judgemental. Again, this might only be for that night, but at least the feeling is there.

5. I like going to raves more than I do bars or clubs most of the time. I have never been sleezed on at the rave, but I have had really sleezy guys approach me at the bar/club..the only guy who was ever sleezy to me, I married! I also feel safer at the rave than out at some bar/club.

...there's a lot of other crap, but I'm at work and should do work and not bore people with my TL;DR post!

"And if I was a ghost and came back when u smoked me id rape u" -Flatbed
SARA
Post from poptartWhen I was in 7th grade, someone or something let me on to this thing called a rave. I didn't know what it was exactly, but I knew I could find like minded people at one. I wore beaded bracelets up to my elbows before I ever really knew what a rave was and loved highly electronically influenced music. I found out I could find these things at one of those rave parties. I found a patch at "On-Cue" that said "Rave". I bought it and put it on my backpack.

I could probably go on and on about my thoughts and feeling about "the rave." It's a love/hate relationship for me. But I will never lose sight of how much it has changed my life and how many wonderful people I have met because of the rave. I met my husband at the rave and most of the friends I have today...

So I rave because:
1. I have a passion for edm and shaking my tailfeathers.

2. I like most of the people I meet at the rave. No one can deny that there are some pretty shitty people at raves, but I think a good lot of them are decent.

3. I like the feeling of unity between so many different types of people. It might only be for that night and I don't even feel it all the time anymore, sometimes I feel like an outsider, but I know it can exist and that is pretty powerful.

4. I like the feeling of people accepting people and not being too judgemental. Again, this might only be for that night, but at least the feeling is there.

5. I like going to raves more than I do bars or clubs most of the time. I have never been sleezed on at the rave, but I have had really sleezy guys approach me at the bar/club..the only guy who was ever sleezy to me, I married! I also feel safer at the rave than out at some bar/club.

...there's a lot of other crap, but I'm at work and should do work and not bore people with my TL;DR post!

Bwahahaha! I had a guy sleez me at a rave. Effer asked me for a kiss the first time he met me!

(And now I own a house with him hehe.)

incydeout
I go because I can pretty do whatever I want out in public. I mean, within reason. I drop my pants at least once at probably 25% of all raves I go to.

Gunther
1 Because I love music
2 Because I love music
3 Because I love music

breakz
the drugs silly

"IN GOD WE TRUST" IS BULLSHIT AND FREEDOM WILL NEVER RING THE DOLLAR BILL IS NOTHING BUT IT TENDS TO RUN OUR LIVES EACH BILL IS JUST A LINK IN THE SHACKLES OF OUR PRIDE
SIMPLE
Me and a couple friends were strolling through the strip one night, came across the crane building and ventured in to metaphysical transformation. That was it and I was hooked....

imHAWNAYxPUTitonMAY
Well I thought it was a bunch of ppl like fucking and madd drugs that's why I started going only to realize it was just like going to a concert -___- security?? Wha kind of rave has security that's just gay... I wanna see roofied hoes and creepy guys looking for there next rape victims with a viehl of acid and a jar of E

I called her a bitch right infront of her tits -tourettes guy
KC
Post from imHAWNAYxPUTitonMAYWell I thought it was a bunch of ppl like fucking and madd drugs that's why I started going only to realize it was just like going to a concert -___- security?? Wha kind of rave has security that's just gay... I wanna see roofied hoes and creepy guys looking for there next rape victims with a viehl of acid and a jar of E
haha now thats the fuckin spirit!

Been fucking DJ Tranzit and his mom in the ass for years
ilfromthe215
i go for the shirtless bros and prostitots

froSchmidt
Share poi knowledge, and learn.

sumtingwong412
I dont rave.

Main MessageBoard / The Scene /
SITE LINKS
Marketing
About Us
Privacy
Legal
SITE HELP
Contact Us
FOLLOW US
Lolli.org on Facebook Facebook
Lolli.org on Twitter Twitter
Lolli.org RSS Feed RSS Feed
NAVIGATION
Events
Msgboard
Mixes (New)
Mixes (Top)
Music Genres

Marketing
Artists
Interviews & Articles
Photo Gallery
Contests
Who We Are

New Mixes Top Mixes Genres
Member Stats
Interviews and Articles Photo Gallery Contests Who We Are
My Messages My Pics My Events My Artists & Mixes Account Settings Customize Lolli Logout