Main MessageBoard / Lolli.org Updates /

1 2
SARA
What would you do? What would you change?

Give us your insights.

satan
good question There would definately a few folks I would like to get rid of just for shits and giggles. But I would definately would start making this site more appealing to everyone not just ravers. I might even reformat the site to look more like the OLD Myspace. For one thin I would stop all the censorship and only go after stuff I thought was malciious.

1. Raves, the one place ugly emo's girls go to feel hot,
  2. Dubstep: helping douchebags get laid since 03
  3. Only hipster trash listen to electro house!
  4. You don't have to dress like a slut to look sexy
www.FrankieBonesSucks.org
SARA
I'll touch on your 2nd point, about making it more appealing to everyone. That is definitely one of our goals with the new site. Well, let me be specific, we want to reach out to everyone in the EDM community, not just people who attend raves. That is why we're working so hard to get large venue and more mainstream events on here.

Is that what you are talking about? How would you do that?

SheriffKevin
i think the events page could be cleaned up a bit. instead of having the "last post" column you could cut it out and give a little more space for more info right on the front (headliner, venue, etc)

"I love how exceptionally real you keep it."  - Eric Bliss
incydeout
I'd make a pull'n'peel version. Everything should have a pull'n'peel version.

satan
Post from SARAI'll touch on your 2nd point, about making it more appealing to everyone. That is definitely one of our goals with the new site. Well, let me be specific, we want to reach out to everyone in the EDM community, not just people who attend raves. That is why we're working so hard to get large venue and more mainstream events on here.

Is that what you are talking about? How would you do that?
Nope I’m talking about metal heads, punkers anything and everything not just EDM.
***edit***
This site can get a bit boring with nothing but ravers and club snobs.
I enjoyed the format of the old MySpace; you had total control over who was your friend who you could talk to, who or what advertisements you saw. Even on MySpace if you had a problem or criticism of something you could blog about it or could create a private group in which you and like-minded individuals could express such discontent.
unfortunately, Myspace now its way too Facebook with way too much clutter. I hope this site doesnt get like that...

SARA
Post from satanNope I’m talking about metal heads, punkers anything and everything not just EDM.
***edit***
I enjoyed the format of the old MySpace; you had total control over who was your friend who you could talk to, who or what advertisements you saw. Even on MySpace if you had a problem or criticism of something you could blog about it or could create a private group in which you and like-minded individuals could express such discontent.
unfortunately, Myspace now its way too Facebook with way too much clutter. I hope this site doesnt get like that...
Gotcha. I'm not sure we will ever open the site up to other genres like that.

However, I do see what you're saying with the second part. At some point we plan to bring the gang feature back. (Not sure if it will still be called that though.) But basically the whole "smaller group messageboard" type thing. On those you would control who is able to comment, see, etc..

pablo814
Premium Member
I agree with the EDM community as a whole sentiment. As far as a "social network" format goes, to me message boards with user profiles are the original social network, and the functionality that is here is good for that aspect. As for my personal changes:

1) If you wanna see anything that isn't the events page, you have to join and login. Perhaps a noobs section where people that have <500 posts/been a member for less than a year can have access. Likewise, a section for advanced users(1 star rating minimum/1+ year on the site) should be implemented, this forum is where the "free for all' can occur.

2) If a social network format was to be used, IMO a selling point would be an instant messenger. It would be more of a marketing ploy, but it would encourage ppl to join and login. I know that the chatz have been basically a bust for sometime, but I think most ppl only wanna chat with certain ppl/not a room full of what to them are random strangers.

3) A "flag post" option. It makes everyone's job a bit easier in the long run as far as admins go. Have a script that autoscans submissions for flame language to filter out the nitpicks/keep the admins mail unclusterfucked.

4) Active IP scanning for dupe accounts that sends an admin a message to make sure it isn't 2 legit accounts from the same IP, or a comparator script that does this. If you don't have the balls to say something under your real account, then don't post it...

"Honey, I want to do something, we never do anything!" "We are doing something. I'm watching the game and eating a sandwich, and you are making me another sandwich!"
satan
if lolli.org was mine would a have my own video upload too, and i would charge money to every promoter if you want to advertise then pay up sucker.

I would get rid of the ability to post in threads area, Seriously if you want to cut out some of the drama just make the events area about the event. Most Local promoters could careless what anyone thinks of their event before it even happens. IMO if they did, they would book more entertaining talent instead of the usual tween wave shit i see posted everyday.. Save all the comments, drama and remarks in the REVIEW section. Thats where the real conversation should happen. I dont want to read what crappy headliner every little dip shit who knows nothing about music wants. I'll wait for the review thread to read your opinion. If they want to give the promoter suggestions so bad they can PM them. Way too much Band width is being used with the events area. Just post the event and shut up thats what I say. If you have a question or suggestion send it private.

SARA
Mike, I rarely agree with anything you post, but I'll tell you what... you hit the nail on the head for my opinion about event threads. Because if that's how they were run, we would have never even ran into the issue with removing those posts.

It's like how much discussion can you really have about an event that hasn't happened yet? Chances are either you're bitching about a previous event (which isn't always relevant), or you're all bitching about the same thing, which... after 10 people saying the same thing... what's the point?

incydeout
Alright, I'll be serious I guess. "Mature," if you will. Whatever.

1) I'd put in code so duplicate (triplicate, quadruplicate...) posts would delete themselves.
2) Events would be grouped by region, then by date
3) There'd be a row buttons of end tags under the buttons of tags at the bottom of the post window
4) Put a random track / mix player at the top of the page with a database accessing all of the audio on the server. Kinda like a mini lolli pandora or something.

satan
Post from SARAMike, I rarely agree with anything you post, but I'll tell you what... you hit the nail on the head for my opinion about event threads. Because if that's how they were run, we would have never even ran into the issue with removing those posts.

It's like how much discussion can you really have about an event that hasn't happened yet? Chances are either you're bitching about a previous event (which isn't always relevant), or you're all bitching about the same thing, which... after 10 people saying the same thing... what's the point?
On MySpace or Facebook there were more than just rave events going on NYE or any day for that matter.  Did promoters go on those other promoters and complain? No. Could you see if any of the rave promoters got on any of the other local parties, like a death metal show or a hardcore punk or hip hop show and said something like "hey man your event is wrecking my possible attendance to a rave I have going on. I’m sure somebody would be LOL at that. Most folks just posted their event like everyone else and spammed the living shit out of everyone on their friends list. if promoters want a discussion about their events they can have a gang dedicated to their promotional company.
I would totally make the event reviews for folks who RSVP to the event. Then that way it’s only the people who went to the event can post a review. Once again, I would stress no censorship because if the promoter is a royal fuck up him/her should get shitted on by every Orpheus.
Anyway to be clear to everyone I would like to say
I’m not a promoter, so I can care less about who is stepping on whose toes. My issues with the censorship has nothing to do with events or anything else but my own personal believe the content unless directly malicious without provocation should be the only thing deleted.
that means dont start no stuff there wont be no stuff, simple rule amrite?
Thats how I would moderate. Say dumb shit and you will get cyberbullied so bad you'll need theropy just to get over it.

SARA
I think I need to go to the doctor, because once again... I agree with you.

I would totally make the event reviews for folks who RSVP to the event. Then that way it’s only the people who went to the event can post a review. Once again, I would stress no censorship because if the promoter is a royal fuck up him/her should get shitted on by every Orpheus.

This is something else we have thrown around. Of course you're going to have the people that figure out that if they hit RSVP before the event, they'll be able to go slam the review thread, but at that point we would step in and see what is really going on if necessary. But a review thread is a review thread, and healthy discussion should be able to thrive in there without much moderation.

Additionally... I feel like an event thread is the promoter's property to promote his or her event. I do think that they should be able to have a say over what is posted in their thread. I mean, it's exactly how FaceBook runs... promoters have control over what posts stay and which they want to delete on there. Now, granted, we don't currently give promoters that kind of access right now. But if there is an issue, they can tell us, and we'll take it as a case by case scenario. To me, I just don't see what the issue is there. I mean, what selling point is it to post your event on here, if people have free reign to bash the hell out of it before the event even happens? None.

LOLLI
Post from incydeoutAlright, I'll be serious I guess. "Mature," if you will. Whatever.

1) I'd put in code so duplicate (triplicate, quadruplicate...) posts would delete themselves.
2) Events would be grouped by region, then by date
3) There'd be a row buttons of end tags under the buttons of tags at the bottom of the post window
4) Put a random track / mix player at the top of the page with a database accessing all of the audio on the server. Kinda like a mini lolli pandora or something.

For number 2, are you talking about the Events page specifically?  Maybe group it like how the events messageboard does?

For number 3, I'm guessing you're using Internet Explorer for this site? There is currently a bug in Internet Explorer.  When you click any of the bottom message buttons, the ending [/code][/][/code] tag isn't added to your message.  I'm working on this.  All the other browsers work (of course).

For number 4, I can give you a popup window for your music.  Heck, I could allow you to pick genre's to listen to!  I can't embed it in the webpage you're on because when you browse to a new page, it's going to reset.  My site doesn't function like FB's.  On FB's site, they never refresh their page now, they just AJAX load new sections to look at.  I'll never be this way unfortunately.

tst
incydeout
TBH, I haven't even touched the events messageboard once since the revamp. That big ol' events button is way more appealing. But to answer your question, yes. The organization on the events message board is perfect. And yes, I'm using IE. I hate good things.

SARA
Post from incydeoutTBH, I haven't even touched the events messageboard once since the revamp. That big ol' events button is way more appealing. But to answer your question, yes. The organization on the events message board is perfect. And yes, I'm using IE. I hate good things.
I love the new events section. And it's not because I'm bias either haha. It's just SO easy now to see what is going on and where.

LOLLI
Post from incydeoutTBH, I haven't even touched the events messageboard once since the revamp. That big ol' events button is way more appealing. But to answer your question, yes. The organization on the events message board is perfect. And yes, I'm using IE. I hate good things.

I see what you're talking about though.  Maybe I can add a sub menu under the big EVENTS menu item.  I'd add these two options:

1. Events by month
2. Events by location (time zones)

Also, I'd allow you to pick your default webpage when you click the big EVENTS menu item.

tst
satan
my own personal believe the content unless directly malicious without provocation should be the only thing deleted.
Thats how I would moderate. Say dumb shit and you will get cyberbullied so bad you'll need theropy just to get over it.

---Again, please take this into consideration on my list of suggestions.
Dont make this site too dull less entertaining.

SARA
Post from satan
my own personal believe the content unless directly malicious without provocation should be the only thing deleted.

---Again, please take this into consideration on my list of suggestions.
Dont make this site too dull less entertaining.
We saw the suggestion, but again, we ran the site like that for years and were told by person after person that the reason they didn't come on the site was because of the intense trolling and unnecessary meanness from people on here.

Right now the ratio of new visitors to repeat is 52% to 48%. I want to keep it that way. We have more newbies on the site now then we have had in years. This site got nowhere when it was just the same 5 old people trolling the hell out of new people because they said something that those 5 people considered stupid. Sorry, but the site will never grow that way.

ROBBIE
i liked how the message board used to have a mixes section.   it made it so people comment more on them, play them more, and you could bump it so people could see  them better.  

the new setup takes away from plays i feel.

JodoKaast
Post from satanNope I’m talking about metal heads, punkers anything and everything not just EDM.
***edit***
Yeah, this site about electronic music is too narrow. In fact, I think lolli.org should move past music. Why are people talking about music at all on here? I'd like to see more emphasis on philosophical debates and reviewing the latest and greatest fashion trends in Milan.

Also there should be more workshops on machining rotary valves.

If you could make the site look more like LiveJournal, I think that would help.

These are the things that drew me to lolli.org in the first place, mostly because I had no idea what lolli.org was.

satan
Post from SARAWe saw the suggestion, but again, we ran the site like that for years and were told by person after person that the reason they didn't come on the site was because of the intense trolling and unnecessary meanness from people on here.

Right now the ratio of new visitors to repeat is 52% to 48%. I want to keep it that way. We have more newbies on the site now then we have had in years. This site got nowhere when it was just the same 5 old people trolling the hell out of new people because they said something that those 5 people considered stupid. Sorry, but the site will never grow that way.
I don't think you guys did, IMO the way you ran it before was pretty much anarchy, that's not what I'm suggesting here. What it seems to be going on here is a bit excessive even a few things that are playful seem to be getting deleted. What I believe I'm proposing is somewhere in the middle.
The only board I'm suggesting opening up a bit more is the review board with limited participation by those who actually attended.

SARA
Post from satanI don't think you guys did, IMO the way you ran it before was pretty much anarchy, that's not what I'm suggesting here. What it seems to be going on here is a bit excessive even a few things that are playful seem to be getting deleted. What I believe I'm proposing is somewhere in the middle.
The only board I'm suggesting opening up a bit more is the review board with limited participation by those who actually attended.
What it seems to be going on here is a bit excessive

Again, we deleted 6 total posts from Leone's thread.

I've deleted multiple troll post of yours, and you are well aware why they were deleted. At least 1/2 of the things you ever post on here are rude, mean, and condescending towards most people. New people on here don't know that that is unfortunately "just how you are" and instead of ignoring you, they get offended and leave. I'm sorry that I would rather delete your posts and have the majority of new people stay, then let your ridiculous, grumpy posts stay. And the worst part is, you do it just to do it. It's like the rave scene scorned you somehow and the way you get back at it is posting troll posts on this site. Enough already. If you hate everything so much, why are you still on a site that is rave/edm based? You offer good discussion 1/2 of the time, but seriously, the trolling and nastiness just has to stop.

Lastly, I deleted 2 drug related posts. Those posts were in complete violation of our terms of use.  

This is since October when the new site launched. Excessive? No, it's not excessive. What is excessive is the amount of whining and complaining that a select few people are doing because they're butthurt that a few posts were deleted. In true internet and rave scene form, what was not a huge issue has blown up by a handful of people into something unnecessary with everyone out to be some sort of internet message board martyr. I'm done with it.

LOLLI
Post from SARA
What it seems to be going on here is a bit excessive

Again, we deleted 6 total posts from Leone's thread.

I've deleted multiple troll post of yours, and you are well aware why they were deleted. At least 1/2 of the things you ever post on here are rude, mean, and condescending towards most people. New people on here don't know that that is unfortunately "just how you are" and instead of ignoring you, they get offended and leave. I'm sorry that I would rather delete your posts and have the majority of new people stay, then let your ridiculous, grumpy posts stay. And the worst part is, you do it just to do it. It's like the rave scene scorned you somehow and the way you get back at it is posting troll posts on this site. Enough already. If you hate everything so much, why are you still on a site that is rave/edm based? You offer good discussion 1/2 of the time, but seriously, the trolling and nastiness just has to stop.

Lastly, I deleted 2 drug related posts. Those posts were in complete violation of our terms of use.  

This is since October when the new site launched. Excessive? No, it's not excessive. What is excessive is the amount of whining and complaining that a select few people are doing because they're butthurt that a few posts were deleted. In true internet and rave scene form, what was not a huge issue has blown up by a handful of people into something unnecessary with everyone out to be some sort of internet message board martyr. I'm done with it.

Exactly.  Mike, I've deleted a bunch of your posts as well and you do know why.  No one else is laughing at these rude comments you keep saying to everyone.  I really don't know how many times you need to be nicely asked to settle down before you're deleted.  I'm sorry I don't want to see threads about bloody this or cunt whatever that.  It's not entertaining and you're pretty much trying to shock and awe people.  I've pretty much had enough of it.

tst
tastetherainbow
I would pull all of my Lolli amazing power and, throw an amazing (and much needed) all trance and hardcore party. Im getting tired of all this damn dubstep.

Genre Blind!
1 2

Main MessageBoard / Lolli.org Updates /
SITE LINKS
Marketing
About Us
Privacy
Legal
SITE HELP
Contact Us
FOLLOW US
Lolli.org on Facebook Facebook
Lolli.org on Twitter Twitter
Lolli.org RSS Feed RSS Feed
NAVIGATION
Events
Msgboard
Mixes (New)
Mixes (Top)
Music Genres

Marketing
Artists
Interviews & Articles
Photo Gallery
Contests
Who We Are

New Mixes Top Mixes Genres
Member Stats
Interviews and Articles Photo Gallery Contests Who We Are
My Messages My Pics My Events My Artists & Mixes Account Settings Customize Lolli Logout