Main MessageBoard / Lolli.org Updates /

1 2 3
MEZZANINE
This is my personal observation on the matter, I think a couple of points have been lost in discussion, so I will break a promise to myself and post once more about it! Please take this as objectively as possible.

To me there are three things going on here that I can tell:

1. Locals who feel they have been 'disrespected' by 'outsiders'
2. The idea of competing events and how acceptable/unacceptable this is
3. Message board moderation and censorship

--

1. I think the core of the issue is that natives who have been rooted here for a long time are territorial about their crowd and music scene. In a city as small as Pittsburgh, with such a finite and fragile fan base for electronic music, this can be be expected, and to all of us here, this is a known fact. It's a small pond, everybody knows when somebody else makes else a splash. Egos feel threatened, and in this day and age, everyone has seen The Godfather one too many times, and everyone wishes they were Michael Corleone.

A common perception: Out of towners came in with gusto and swagger, and without any sort of greeting or hello, they immediately start competing with locals and cost people money. This is seen as rude, disrespectful, and directly relates to a negative attitude towards point 2.

2. Any event directly competing for a like demographic will adversely affect the opposing event and cost both entities money. In the case of ALL I DO & Time Travel, both parties will get adequate numbers, sure. Both parties will also get less numbers than they would if a more strategic plan and cooperation were to happen. But...

Personally, I don't see two events competing as wrong. Because it isn't. Maybe "rude", maybe a bad financial idea, but ultimately it's a free country, and from an audience perspective - it's nice to have a choice, and it might just up the quality in any given event if the pressure is on. It is also not always avoidable. Protip: The notion that Leone or Flux are going to quit and leave the city over this is laughable. A second protip: throwing renegades and competing until your blue in the face is only going to result in more money lost for everyone. So ya'll can either kick and scream about it all day, or try to come up with a solution that benefits everyone (ie: the small pond that is Pittsburgh).

3. On a message board - especially local to Pittsburgh that contains reviews & community discussion - the integrity of the site is only as good as the content that people post. Yes, Rich & Sara are 100% free and clear to do whatever the heck they want to on here. But for me, the idea that posters, promoters, or whomever, are able to edit the content of someone else's post in order to augment the opinions and image of themselves is damaging to the legitimacy of the content and integrity of a site which users want to rely on.

Just imagine if companies on Yelp! were able to delete all negativity from the reviews, or if Angie's List could do the same. Do you think people would still post there or use the site? I support Rich & Sara's right and ability to moderate this site however they see fit, but I am just simply not able to put any stock or investment into threads given that what I say might not show up the next day, or has already been screened by a biased OP. This is merely my opinion, and if I am going to get attacked for sharing my views on a site I have been a part of for about a decade, then it only enhances my point.

PS: I love and hate you all. Go PLUR.

SARA
I can't wait until New Year's Day. So that everyone can see what an overreaction this was on everyone's part.

MEZZANINE
Post from SARAI can't wait until New Year's Day. So that everyone can see what an overreaction this was on everyone's part.
I don't think these topics are limited to just 12/31/11, but whatevs.

SARA
Just imagine if companies on Yelp! were able to delete all negativity from the reviews, or if Angie's List could do the same. Do you think people would still post there or use the site?

I understand your opinion about this Paul, I do, and we have definitely talked a ton about this. My only issue with your example is that those sites (Yelp and Angie's List) are solely for reviews. Lolli is an event promotion site first and foremost. The message board is only a part of this site, with reviews an even smaller part of the message board.  

Again, the moderation and deleting we have done is minimal, and will continue to be minimal, and done on a case by case basis if necessary. I think this situation was blown entirely out of proportion, but at the end of the day, and no hard feelings of course, we're each going to feel how we're going to feel.

satan
None of the events has a DNB line up that impresses me, this is why I laugh at all of you.

1. Raves, the one place ugly emo's girls go to feel hot,
  2. Dubstep: helping douchebags get laid since 03
  3. Only hipster trash listen to electro house!
  4. You don't have to dress like a slut to look sexy
www.FrankieBonesSucks.org
SheriffKevin
Post from satanNone of the events has a DNB line up that impresses me, this is why I laugh at all of you.
i haven't seen an impressive dnb booking in years

"I love how exceptionally real you keep it."  - Eric Bliss
incydeout
I typed up a gigantic response that was relevant to what you folks have been talking about, but realized that it could probably be a thread of its own. So, see "If you could run the scene for a day, what would you do?"

http://www.lolli.org/thread/35288/If-you-could-run-the-scene-for-a-day-what-would-you-do?Page=1

satan
A better way of deleting your account, I keep getting errror messages everytime I click on delete.

It shouldnt take a day for someone to delete their account.
Anyway thanks for the ride folks im but im done here.

1. Raves, the one place ugly emo's girls go to feel hot,
  2. Dubstep: helping douchebags get laid since 03
  3. Only hipster trash listen to electro house!
  4. You don't have to dress like a slut to look sexy
www.FrankieBonesSucks.org
SARA
Rich has to go in and delete your account by hand, since you're a large member. We've gone over this multiple times.

1 2 3

Main MessageBoard / Lolli.org Updates /
SITE LINKS
Marketing
About Us
Privacy
Legal
SITE HELP
Contact Us
FOLLOW US
Lolli.org on Facebook Facebook
Lolli.org on Twitter Twitter
Lolli.org RSS Feed RSS Feed
NAVIGATION
Events
Msgboard
Mixes (New)
Mixes (Top)
Music Genres

Marketing
Artists
Interviews & Articles
Photo Gallery
Contests
Who We Are

New Mixes Top Mixes Genres
Member Stats
Interviews and Articles Photo Gallery Contests Who We Are
My Messages My Pics My Events My Artists & Mixes Account Settings Customize Lolli Logout