Main MessageBoard / Music Production & Mixing Techniques /

DjTomTom
So, I'm looking to get a new pair of needles for my turntables, but I don't really know the difference between types, or brands, as this is the first time I'll be purchasing new needles.  Is there anyone who can give me some advice that may be able to help me in making my decision?

fonz
I'm out of the loop but can't go wrong with Shure M44-7

ROBBIE

Gunther
Post from ROBBIE
love em always and forever....

my needles lasted longer than my marriage... that is how awesome they are.

ROBBIE
i want a pair.

DreDeLosMuertos
needles come in two varieties; elliptical and spherical.

the elliptical needle has sharp sides that allow it to go deep into the grooves so it can pick up all the fine vibrations.

A spherical needle has a round tip that makes less contact with the vinyl and picks up only the most obvious sounds. these are used for scratching.

BOINGTHUMP
Premium Member
Prevention Point Pittsburgh offers free needle exchange.

http://www.pppgh.org/html/services.html

Also some things just shouldnt be shared with the general population...or even on a message board...definately not here on Lolli.
DreDeLosMuertos
Djs don't share needles.

DjTomTom
are those sure's expensive? and i mean like outrageous? and thanks that was all very helpfull. if i alreayd have headshells can i just get like the stylus?

DocJeezy
if you're talking about the m447's they run about 35 a needle to replace them. If you're talking about carts and needles they run about 75$.

cut it up freshhhhhhhhhhhhhh
DocJeezy
I've used both styles of needles and i prefer the m44-7's. they're pretty much the standard as far as i'm concerned. And while ortofons are decent they're overpriced for what you get. The frequencies they pick up dont justify the price range...

crazyb
Post from fonzI'm out of the loop but can't go wrong with Shure M44-7

I dream of playing a sunrise set in front of all of you.
DjTomTom
are head shells pretty standard though? like i have some stantons now, but are the head shells of the same type different sizes or anything like that? Could i put those shure styli in my stanton headshells? would it make a difference at all if i got the pair?

breakz
Post from BOINGTHUMPPrevention Point Pittsburgh offers free needle exchange.

http://www.pppgh.org/html/services.html
damn you beat me to it yet again.

"IN GOD WE TRUST" IS BULLSHIT AND FREEDOM WILL NEVER RING THE DOLLAR BILL IS NOTHING BUT IT TENDS TO RUN OUR LIVES EACH BILL IS JUST A LINK IN THE SHACKLES OF OUR PRIDE
DocJeezy
Post from DjTomTomare head shells pretty standard though? like i have some stantons now, but are the head shells of the same type different sizes or anything like that? Could i put those shure styli in my stanton headshells? would it make a difference at all if i got the pair?
no all headshells are not standard. If you want the shures you gotta buy the carts for them. Honestly they're a solid investment. I've had my carts for damn near 11 years and they haven't let me down. It's time to get some  new ones due to corrosion on the wire set but other than that they're little tanks....

TheEturn
doc is right on the price for quality thing

however, i grabbed a set of ortofon needles . from idjnow.com   when i ordered them they had the nightclubs and the ones for time-coded vinyl(forget what they called) but anyway they were buy one get one free and each came with a extra stylus. .so for 120 bux got 2 durable as hell closed shell needles and 4 stylui

also you got to think what you are going to be playing. if you arent playing mostly vinyl or mp3 that are 320 or higher. don't even worry about the difference in sound. you'll never hear the difference

Main MessageBoard / Music Production & Mixing Techniques /
SITE LINKS
Marketing
About Us
Privacy
Legal
SITE HELP
Contact Us
FOLLOW US
Lolli.org on Facebook Facebook
Lolli.org on Twitter Twitter
Lolli.org RSS Feed RSS Feed
NAVIGATION
Events
Msgboard
Mixes (New)
Mixes (Top)
Music Genres

Marketing
Artists
Interviews & Articles
Photo Gallery
Contests
Who We Are

New Mixes Top Mixes Genres
Member Stats
Interviews and Articles Photo Gallery Contests Who We Are
My Messages My Pics My Events My Artists & Mixes Account Settings Customize Lolli Logout