Main MessageBoard / Music Production & Mixing Techniques /

Arkham
so i have decided the next audio tool I am saving towards is a drum machine. since early November a friend has taught me the 101 of the Akai drum machine,
i have been working with the Akai Mpc 1000.
i have found this particular set up to be very ideal for track construction. unfortunately after looking further into this item i discovered the cost, even when for sale as pre owned was out of my price range.

I would like too purchase one that house's the same general capabilities and quality. but of a lower caliber of course.

any advice would be great.

-i am looking for equipment with a cost at
5 or lower

-if you could send info about the company's that are known for selling a better product...i was wondering what is considered the pioneer or technique's of Drum Machines.

Also
-feedback of what company's or items to not buy,

-Websites to look up would be a great help.

advice, info, and recommendations from musicians instead of asking Jeeves this time would be greatly appreciated.

Shase
Never used a 1000, but I think they're not too far off from a 2000xl.  I used to have one but sold it to get a 60 then that to get a 3000.  I think the price has dropped a lot on them so maybe you could get one for around 500.  Just make sure it's the xl and that it has the 8 outs board with it.

Gunther

http://www.musicgoround.com/detail.aspx?id=1001246

TheScythian462
You can't actually sample with that.

Honestly, considering the fact that will probably be dumping or recording whatever you do into a PC...I would recommend the Akai MPD32.

With Ableton's drum rack you can pretty much perfectly emulate an akai mpc hardware sampler, with easier and more functionality.

Unless you're going for the integrity of an all hardware setup.  Though I don't know how much difference it would make in the world of sampling.

Arkham
thanks guys.
AKAI's the way to go.

Shase
There's a 1000 up on cl right now for 550.

DocJeezy
you can get an mpc 1000 for way less than 550. I just picked a used one up at Gc for 200$. maxed out memory, jjo operating system, and card reader. The only thing it needed was a button or two replaced and on dead pad. all in all cost me another 12$ to fix it. You just gotta keep an eye out in their used section...

cut it up freshhhhhhhhhhhhhh
DocJeezy
If you do buy the mpc 1000 make sure that it has the JJO operating system on it. Much more functionality than the standard operating system that akai puts on there. A good site to check for decent used mpcs is mpcstuff.com Stay away from the older models of Mpcs, unless that is you dont mind waiting for boot time.

louieb
mpc 500? seems to do about the same thing in the long run from what ive seen but i may be wrong.

Gunther
Post from TheScythian462You can't actually sample with that.

Honestly, considering the fact that will probably be dumping or recording whatever you do into a PC...I would recommend the Akai MPD32.

With Ableton's drum rack you can pretty much perfectly emulate an akai mpc hardware sampler, with easier and more functionality.

Unless you're going for the integrity of an all hardware setup.  Though I don't know how much difference it would make in the world of sampling.
I thought he was just looking for a cheap drum machine...

I saw an MPC 2000xl used at guitar center for $350, that is what I'd go for.

incydeout
Why would you ever want a sampler? You have a computer.

Moire
Post from incydeoutWhy would you ever want a sampler? You have a computer.

Shase
Different samplers do different things.  I have samplers that do things a computer probably can't as intuitively (as far as I know with my limited knowledge of software samplers) and certainly have a sound that a computer can not have.

It seems to me like this guy is more interested in the sequencing aspect of the mpc which is a significantly different process than using something like cubase.

DocJeezy
Post from louiebmpc 500? seems to do about the same thing in the long run from what ive seen but i may be wrong.
mpc 500 are hella janky, plus i'm pretty sure you can't sample into them...and as far as why you would want a sampler when you have a comp? analog sampling just gives you that lovely warm analog sound...

EVILCYBORG
I have a old ass akai sampler that I never use. I used run samples I already cut up through it for some 12 bit grit, but it became a pain in the ass. I do play the carrier wave on it sometimes though. Kinda organ sounding.

Computers do make excellent samplers. I use my computer to chop up samples and I'm quite happy with it. The difference between chopping up a sample on your computer or a mpc or whatever is strictly in the process. If it sounds too cold, send it out to a tube preamp or some shit.

The main place that software samplers vs hardware fail is the filters ( amps, envelopes and lfos to an extent). The emu line is known to have some pretty good filters (not sure about akai). Granted, my experience is limited to the EXS24 in Logic, but the filter blows on that thing. Big time. I run it out to analog filters on occasion, but their mono and don't always work.

incydeout
If you wanna use your fingers. Seriously though, I'd stay away from hardware samplers because cutting/selecting/mapping/tweaking samples SUCKS without a mouse or something like it.

http://keyboards-midi.musiciansfriend.com/product/Native-Instruments-MASCHINE-Groove-Production-Studio?sku=241900

incydeout
And this looks like a fax machine.

doog
Premium Member
MPD24 with pirated copy of Ableton is your best bet on the cheap.

Main MessageBoard / Music Production & Mixing Techniques /
SITE LINKS
Marketing
About Us
Privacy
Legal
SITE HELP
Contact Us
FOLLOW US
Lolli.org on Facebook Facebook
Lolli.org on Twitter Twitter
Lolli.org RSS Feed RSS Feed
NAVIGATION
Events
Msgboard
Mixes (New)
Mixes (Top)
Music Genres

Marketing
Artists
Interviews & Articles
Photo Gallery
Contests
Who We Are

New Mixes Top Mixes Genres
Member Stats
Interviews and Articles Photo Gallery Contests Who We Are
My Messages My Pics My Events My Artists & Mixes Account Settings Customize Lolli Logout