Main MessageBoard / Music Production & Mixing Techniques /

fonz
Im trying to export an automated Dr. Rex pattern into live.  I just started using reason and live together, so bear with me.  What im doing is bringing my rex track in and turning speaker off on the track  (in live) so it doesn't play the loops in rex constantly and switching between the loops in rex to add them into my live set.
I thought recording this in live or in reason would give me something to export/import but thats where im getting stuck at.  I cant record it to get it to playback on a seperate track in live.  
I tried adding the reason channel to route into a midi clip in live and recording that but that didn't do it either.  The automation is recorded...  I also tried exporting from reason into a midi clip to bring into live but to no avail.  

Does that make sense to anyone and if so any help would be appreciated.  

incydeout
I don't think I get what you're trying to do. I don't even know if I can help lol... but it sounds like you're trying to get the midi sequence that plays your dr. rex into live and out of the reason sequencer. Correct?

fonz
Post from incydeoutI don't think I get what you're trying to do. I don't even know if I can help lol... but it sounds like you're trying to get the midi sequence that plays your dr. rex into live and out of the reason sequencer. Correct?
I want to be able to start playback/record and switch between loops on rex on the fly and have that recorded into a live track.
The copy loop to track option will write single loops to my sequencer but i would like to have the entire pattern copied into my sequencer.
  Ideally i'd like to have it recorded into a midi track in live while im doing it because theres automation in there I would like to keep.  

A lil long winded------
Shit bottom line how do i record my ins coming from reason into the live sequencer?

incydeout
Ah. I'm still a lil confused, but I think you either want your midi controls from live controlling Dr. Rex to record, or you want your Dr. Rex audio output to record as audio into live. I can't tell you how to do the first, you'd have to look up cc numbers (or maybe live maps them for you automatically, not sure), but the second is easy. Just make an audio track, and on the 'input' drop down, there *should* be a rewire channel (synchronized with the channel Dr. Rex is on in the Reason mixer) that you can select. If it's not appearing, then you've got to tweak your hardware config in the preferences or Reason rewire menu. I don't know if that helps, but that's all I can offer...

fonz
I can hear it and see the levels for that channel it in live Im trying to record that track in live so it will playback for me without having reason open.  Its set to reason for the input, in for the monitor.  I dunno what the deal is.

TheScythian462
Post from fonzI can hear it and see the levels for that channel it in live Im trying to record that track in live so it will playback for me without having reason open.  Its set to reason for the input, in for the monitor.  I dunno what the deal is.
I might have an idea to help you out.  I actually do this all the time.

First off, don't know what version of live you are running, but I believe 7 and up have in the instruments section "External Instrument".  Use if.  Way easier for using reason within live.  

Tutorial I guess...best to start with a new live set to make it easier to follow:

So first, starting a new live set you will always have one audio and one midi track (duh).  This is good.  All you need to get started.

Fire up reason.  Get Dr. Rex loaded up and route audio to 1 and 2 on the hardware interface.  (SHOULD do this automatically for the first instrument you pulled up.)  Now load up just some random loop, and send it to track in reason's sequencer.  4 bars or whatever will be fine.

In live, drop the "External Instrument" onto your midi track.  Under "midi to" select "reason".  There is another drop down selection right under that.  Select "dr. rex".  Under "Audio From" select channel "1/2 Mix L Mix R"

Now when you press play, you should hear the rex loop in reason's sequncer play through ableton.

Now to RECORD that and create an ableton clip...in your audio channel...where it says "Audio From" select "2-Ext. Instrument".  Set "Monitor" to "In".  Than arm the channel to record.

Now you're all set up to sample reason directly into ableton.  Switch to arrangement view...press record up on your global control bar, than press play.  You should see a clip recording in your audio channel.  Than all you have to do is trim it however you want, than copy and paste it as a single clip back in session view.

TheScythian462
If you're on an older version of ableton, and rewiring the old school way, the only thing I could think you might be overlooking is arming the audio channel itself to record, and of course, switching to arrangement view to see the actual clip being created.

fonz
Post from TheScythian462If you're on an older version of ableton, and rewiring the old school way, the only thing I could think you might be overlooking is arming the audio channel itself to record, and of course, switching to arrangement view to see the actual clip being created.
Live 8.01 I wasn't arming that channel initially, but I tried doing this last night and it didn't work either.  
Im going to try what you suggested in ur first post and let you know what happens.  Thanks

TheScythian462
don't forget to hit record and than play up top.

Like I said to, the resulting clip will show up in arrangement view, and not the regular clip window shown in the picture.

fonz
Post from TheScythian462I might have an idea to help you out.  I actually do this all the time.

First off, don't know what version of live you are running, but I believe 7 and up have in the instruments section "External Instrument".  Use if.  Way easier for using reason within live.  

Tutorial I guess...best to start with a new live set to make it easier to follow:

So first, starting a new live set you will always have one audio and one midi track (duh).  This is good.  All you need to get started.

Fire up reason.  Get Dr. Rex loaded up and route audio to 1 and 2 on the hardware interface.  (SHOULD do this automatically for the first instrument you pulled up.)  Now load up just some random loop, and send it to track in reason's sequencer.  4 bars or whatever will be fine.

In live, drop the "External Instrument" onto your midi track.  Under "midi to" select "reason".  There is another drop down selection right under that.  Select "dr. rex".  Under "Audio From" select channel "1/2 Mix L Mix R"

Now when you press play, you should hear the rex loop in reason's sequncer play through ableton.

Now to RECORD that and create an ableton clip...in your audio channel...where it says "Audio From" select "2-Ext. Instrument".  Set "Monitor" to "In".  Than arm the channel to record.

Now you're all set up to sample reason directly into ableton.  Switch to arrangement view...press record up on your global control bar, than press play.  You should see a clip recording in your audio channel.  Than all you have to do is trim it however you want, than copy and paste it as a single clip back in session view.

Ahhhhh thank you dude.
Thats kind of what i was trying to do except i was routing it from an audio to midi channel and i wasn't using the external instrument.

That was a serious headache thanks again.

It wouldn't have been a big deal adding the loops if i wasn't using this new dr octo rex or whatever.  Reason 5 is dope as hell.  I wish I would've listened to all my friends who use reason and actually learned it long ago.  With live and reason together its just badass.
As an added thought if anyoone else can use this be sure you mute the channel you're recording to so you aren't doubling up the sound from reason in live.

TheScythian462
Glad to help man!

External instrument is pretty awesome.  Especially if you're taking advantage of Reason's synths.  Saves you the clutter of that extra audio channel sitting in your session view.  

Also, watch out, you may have to do some rewarping of the audio clip you just created.  For whatever reason, Live never seems to analyze the new audio appropriately, even though both programs are supposed to be in sync.

Main MessageBoard / Music Production & Mixing Techniques /
SITE LINKS
Marketing
About Us
Privacy
Legal
SITE HELP
Contact Us
FOLLOW US
Lolli.org on Facebook Facebook
Lolli.org on Twitter Twitter
Lolli.org RSS Feed RSS Feed
NAVIGATION
Events
Msgboard
Mixes (New)
Mixes (Top)
Music Genres

Marketing
Artists
Interviews & Articles
Photo Gallery
Contests
Who We Are

New Mixes Top Mixes Genres
Member Stats
Interviews and Articles Photo Gallery Contests Who We Are
My Messages My Pics My Events My Artists & Mixes Account Settings Customize Lolli Logout