Main MessageBoard / Music Production & Mixing Techniques /

1 2 3 4
JodoKaast
Why do people do it?? Are your ears broken? The sound of clipping bass kicks and high hats makes me want to throw your records out the window.

It seriously blows me away that people who fancy themselves connoisseurs of whatever genre of electronic music cannot hear (or just don't care about) when they go above 0db and clip the shit out of the track.

"waaaaah but i want it louder!"
THAT'S NOT HOW VOLUME WORKS. Increase the amplification to your sound system, DON'T FUCKING CLIP THE CHANNELS.

I think I'm being perfectly reasonable when I tell people "keep it to 1 yellow light on the mixer (+0db)" and they agree, and then I don't let them so much as touch my equipment ever again because they repeatedly push the channels into 3 YELLOW AND 1 RED.

Stop punishing my ears, and stop ruining people's equipment.

Shase
I agree.  Most of the time there's a limiter on the master out so people just keep turning it up and it never gets any louder, it just sounds worse.  

abZ
There is no one specific it happens a lot and by djs that definatley know better. For one thing you often can't hear what the mains sound like if the monitors are proper but you should automatically assume that it sounds like shit if there are a lot of red lights going on on the mixer.

Gunther
I never understood why DJ's just dont turn up the booth volume if they want it louder. I usually have to turn everything down so the headphones dont make my ears hurt.

MEZZANINE
"Why do people eat fast food" is a similar question, but fast food def. tastes better than redlining sounds and noobs are never gonna stop so

JodoKaast
Post from GuntherI never understood why DJ's just dont turn up the booth volume if they want it louder. I usually have to turn everything down so the headphones dont make my ears hurt.
Yeah, I think it comes down to people just not understanding how audio signals and mixers work. They don't just turn up the booth because they don't understand that that's a better solution.

But what I really don't get is the people who I have explained this to, and they still keep doing the same shit. Unwillingness to learn or be respectful is an express ticket to never touching anything I own.

MEZZANINE
Post from JodoKaastYeah, I think it comes down to people just not understanding how audio signals and mixers work. They don't just turn up the booth because they don't understand that that's a better solution.

But what I really don't get is the people who I have explained this to, and they still keep doing the same shit. Unwillingness to learn or be respectful is an express ticket to never touching anything I own.
A drunken primal urge for loudness and attention far supersedes an argument in a more logical, calm, sober environment...

Coupled with the fact that headphones, usually turned way up to compensate for absurd booth volumes, can give the perception that the house is in fact not loud at all. You, I, and everyone else (with the exception of those numb on substance) would probably disagree...

But, yeah - loudness vs. quality is a perpetual issue... 99% of the time I talk to the sound guy before I go on, as I'm usually getting ready to tone the gain down significantly which requires some compensation on the main mixer so the audience isn't too "jarred" ...

Dj7Levin
Yeah this one dj was so fuckin annoying, he kept double red lining my mixer and i had to turn the gains down about 4 times back to yellow and he would still push everything back up into double red once i left ... i mean come on, why is it necessary to double red line shit! Some people should be banned from all mixers in existence!

Check out our New 81 Massive website: http://www.81massive.com
Nature
Premium Member
EQ'ing is one of the most if not THE most important thing about DJing. There's nothing worse than a DJ who gets on after an amazing, clean, proper set and jacks the volume way up, clips the shit out of the awesome song they're playing, and makes everyone's ears bleed.

Or plays at a consistent volume but brings in the next track, beatmatched or not, at a higher or even worse a lower volume. Sets should be at 1 consistent volume level start to finish. DJs who progressively get louder each track usually end up pushing the mixer all the way into the red by the end of their set, and what may have been a cleanly mixed, properly beatmatched and good set is now overshadowed by loss of sound quality, clipping highs and blown out eardrums at the end of the night.

I've also heard of people saying their mixer over heated (it was an older mixer) and burned out its internal amp, from being in the red for too long, I guess the mixer got too  hot and fried some internal circuitry.

-CN
abZ
You couldn't be more wrong about that. Track selection is #1 by far. Pretty much everything can be handled with some basic software except for track selection.

Gunther
Post from abZYou couldn't be more wrong about that. Track selection is #1 by far. Pretty much everything can be handled with some basic software except for track selection.
doesnt matter how clean you mix if you play shitty tracks.

djgraph
i have been in situations where unintentional loudness is not my fault (worst case offender being a switch from serato to cdjs on the same channel without proper soundchecking prior)

however cranking your shit needlessly is inexcusable, idiots

i actually miss netic. w/e on all of you
DJDantron
One of my favorite quotes was Calvin Harris talking to a local DJ that was opening up for him and double redlining, he walked up to him and said "You know, they didn't put red lights on the mixer because they ran out of green ones."

11/7 7:45:50 PM  brittanyntommy :  them girls  are too young to have aids  plus lesbian sex  is mostly safe
brandon32807
Post from DJDantronOne of my favorite quotes was Calvin Harris talking to a local DJ that was opening up for him and double redlining, he walked up to him and said "You know, they didn't put red lights on the mixer because they ran out of green ones."
classic

March 28, 2007. The day everything changed.
brandon32807
Post from DJDantronOne of my favorite quotes was Calvin Harris talking to a local DJ that was opening up for him and double redlining, he walked up to him and said "You know, they didn't put red lights on the mixer because they ran out of green ones."
classic

March 28, 2007. The day everything changed.
incydeout
Hardcore sounds better distorted as fuck. Just sayin.

abZ
Post from incydeoutHardcore sounds better distorted as fuck. Just sayin.
Yeah it sounds even better with the gains all the way down. Just saying'.

JulieSinn
   love that

ANTI-over-genrefication!!!
OMEN
Cough* dnb djs cough*

Check me out at FUNK'D UP and RYOB4!
CubanB
Dumbest argument I repeatedly see on here.

Jungle had soul.   No hardcore has ever had that.   Washed up synths and electronic airhorn noises.  Great job with that.   Come so far.

CubanB
I've seen many djs do this.

It's always the same type.  The type that mixes each track in louder than the last to try to cover up the flaws of their mix.   Eventually they get to the red.  

CubanB
psssst.  If you want to play that game, Hardcore came from techno.  And techno came from other influences.

So you can quit it now.

Pointless argument.  Just cause you play a genre most adult DJs hate.

djgraph
all hardcore is shit and if you listen to it you're a dumb child end of story

i actually miss netic. w/e on all of you
MEZZANINE
Music came from a bunch of cro magnons with rocks

esbeekay
Post from MEZZANINEMusic came from a bunch of cro magnons with rocks

oh dear god

1 2 3 4

Main MessageBoard / Music Production & Mixing Techniques /
SITE LINKS
Marketing
About Us
Privacy
Legal
SITE HELP
Contact Us
FOLLOW US
Lolli.org on Facebook Facebook
Lolli.org on Twitter Twitter
Lolli.org RSS Feed RSS Feed
NAVIGATION
Events
Msgboard
Mixes (New)
Mixes (Top)
Music Genres

Marketing
Artists
Interviews & Articles
Photo Gallery
Contests
Who We Are

New Mixes Top Mixes Genres
Member Stats
Interviews and Articles Photo Gallery Contests Who We Are
My Messages My Pics My Events My Artists & Mixes Account Settings Customize Lolli Logout