Main MessageBoard / Music Production & Mixing Techniques /

BlackDaddy
so ive been producing for about 5 years now and finally feel confident to play my music in front of others, so i went out and bought some cdjs.

i produce gabber/hardstyle which is relatively "easy" to mix. i got that down pretty quick.

i tried to test my hand at music thats not based on a simple 4x4 beat, such as dubstep and bmore club. trying to challenge myself. didnt work out too well XD.

so im wondering, when trying to mix two dub or bmore songs, how should i go about this?

i know all about the bpms and everything, but i find it pretty hard to get a dubstep songs bpm without a bpm counter[my setup doesnt have one]. i do it all by ear, so mehh.

any halp?

"2012 - The whole world goes silent after the last rave whistle is blown"
ROBBIE
try to be able to tell if the track in the headphones is going faster or slower than the track playing.  adjust pitch control.  if it doesnt work and you dont think you can correct it, start at the first beat and try again.  do this over and over til you learn to beat match.

CUTUPS
It's hard to say without hearing exactly what is going wrong for you.
It may just come down to having an ear of familiarity with the music.

Syncopated music is still based on 4/4 time signatures, so it shouldn't be that different.  However, it is a bit more apparent when you've got your phrasing off when playing syncopated styles compared to something with a bassdrum on every beat, like gabber.   Make sure you've got the concept of where each measure starts down pat.

One "trick" i used in the past is to just imagine a kick drum on every beat in a syncopated style, then just beatmatch the incoming tune to that.

SHOWS >> 1.20 BASS THERAPY w/ Cutups, Keeb$ + @ Levels Southside | 1.27 MUSTARD PIMP @ Altar Bar | 2.2 LAZERCRUNK w/ Thunder St. Clair & Tracksploitation @ Brillobox | 2.4 ILLUSIONS w/ Mascara & Rivka @ Cattivo
Tangent
When beatmatching DnB or Breakbeat Hardcore, I generally try and imagine the rhythm produced by the sum of the beats if the syncopation is different.  Almost always they share a snare or a kick in any given measure...so try and key in on that.

abZ
Well the music of today can be a little trickier because people are using a lot of swing in the beats.  It is not a simple matter of getting them the same tempo and bob's your uncle.  You have to match the grooves too.  That is probably what is throwing you off with dubstep, I am not sure about Baltimore, I don't really listen to that stuff tbh.

JohnWayne
Premium Member
This  ^^  That pretty awesome you got some cdjs.  Good luck, man, and lots of practice will take you places.  But expect a big sound rig and a crowd to get the nerves and stuff flowing.

CobraCommandy
I say:

1. Match BPMs
2. Mix using proper phrasing.
3. Know the song structure of the two tracks you're mixing. So you can time events properly.
4. Do it over and over until you find the right mix.
5. Don't sweat it, chances are you won't do it the same way you practiced as when playing out. And no one will notice besides possibly the other DJs that know what I'm talking about.
6. Keep as in control of the energy of the mix as you can.
7. Abruptness in your mixing may clear the dance floor even if you don't trainwreck, just because you took it to somewhere boring.

I'd say that's pretty much good for any genre. All music is written in time signatures. Some part of the drums will be quantized enough for you to be able to mix to, you just have to find it. Unless you are trying to spin some Freeform Crazy-ass Jazz Fusion Hippie Shit, then you'll be hard pressed to find any sort of structure.

BlackDaddy
thats alot for all the tips guys.
they all seem to be helping me.
especially the tip that they're all on 4/4 time signitures.
i knew that but never thought about it, i was always too focused on the actual beat, and dubsteps "2-step" beat was throwing me off a bit.

ive had a few offers from djs around pittsburgh that they'll help me get better at djing in return for me to teach them how to produce music. i think ill take them up on their offer ^.^.

EricBliss
Post from BlackDaddythats alot for all the tips guys.
they all seem to be helping me.
especially the tip that they're all on 4/4 time signitures.
i knew that but never thought about it, i was always too focused on the actual beat, and dubsteps "2-step" beat was throwing me off a bit.

ive had a few offers from djs around pittsburgh that they'll help me get better at djing in return for me to teach them how to produce music. i think ill take them up on their offer ^.^.
Sometimes producers like to get tricky and throw in an odd bar that's not in 4/4, sometimes towards the end of a track when normally you'd be balls deep in a mix.  Gotta be mindful of when this happens or it will ruin the fuck outta your mix.  Sometimes they'll go an extra measure out of a traditional phrase and that can mess you up too.  It's rare but sometimes producers like to play tricks on DJ's and it's a good thing to get the hang of picking out.  

It does this in this in a recent remix of "For An Angel" I picked up.  You have to wait until the very last minute to mix because if you don't there's one part where the phrase goes an extra bar and if you ride out the mix after the first breakdown it will totally throw everything off.   Just keep an eye out for those tricksters that actually wanna make us work.  Fuckers.  

Check out some mixes!  Trance and breaks.  http://lolli.org/Artists/Eric-Bliss.aspx  and also www.deejay-mixes.com/Eric_Bliss
CubanB
The trick for odd beats is to match it while on phrase.  What I mean is, don't just start the song anywhere and match, then go back and start it on phrase.  (which is what I and many others typically do and is most do-able with house)  Actually start the track on phrase and then match; you will hear the difference.  You want those snares to be in sync so you have to start it in a way that they will be.  Best part is, if you do it right, then you can just toss the track in once it's matched.  This is also what I typically do when I am running out of time and have to bring in a track real fast.  I'll even toss it in and match it while it's playing if I have to.  

Also, keep in mind that some genres have a pretty big range in bpm differences and some tracks simply aren't going to go together without really tweakin' out the pitch.  

djgraph
take the dicks out of your mouth and try again

i actually miss netic. w/e on all of you
crazyb
step 1 is to beatmatch
if you can't do it, go back to step one.

crippies, i'm not the greatest but this is some basic shit we're talking about it

step 1 beatmatch
if you can't do it, got back to step 1

I dream of playing a sunrise set in front of all of you.
crazyb
if you wan2 be a dj, hang out with some dj's,

I dream of playing a sunrise set in front of all of you.
BlackDaddy
Post from djgraphtake the dicks out of your mouth and try again
i like em there buddy. lol

but ya, so like match the snares up?
ima give that a shot in the AM.
thanks alot everyone ^.^

junglejake
give it time and you will figure it out on your own. There are 100 deejays on here that tout their stuff but don't know anything about phrasing so be careful who you take advice from. :)

Main MessageBoard / Music Production & Mixing Techniques /
SITE LINKS
Marketing
About Us
Privacy
Legal
SITE HELP
Contact Us
FOLLOW US
Lolli.org on Facebook Facebook
Lolli.org on Twitter Twitter
Lolli.org RSS Feed RSS Feed
NAVIGATION
Events
Msgboard
Mixes (New)
Mixes (Top)
Music Genres

Marketing
Artists
Interviews & Articles
Photo Gallery
Contests
Who We Are

New Mixes Top Mixes Genres
Member Stats
Interviews and Articles Photo Gallery Contests Who We Are
My Messages My Pics My Events My Artists & Mixes Account Settings Customize Lolli Logout