Main MessageBoard / Music Production & Mixing Techniques /

DUBV
Premium Member
Can't u just normalize the mix so the levels are all even?

doog
Premium Member
I mastered your moms mix last night.

MEZZANINE
WTF happened to the op?

EVICTION
i can... looking to master a dj mix or a track?  

CubanB
How bout some gaygamemaster

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lARDWywKvg

SheriffKevin
Post from CubanBHow bout some gaygamemaster

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lARDWywKvg
i heard this at a party.

in 2010.

also, talk to Butt Rich, i hear he does mastering

"I love how exceptionally real you keep it."  - Eric Bliss
CubanB
Post from SheriffKevini heard this at a party.

in 2010.

also, talk to Butt Rich, i hear he does mastering
Yeah, we've got a lot of good DJs around here.

Droppin' gamemaster shows you really know how to find the unsung gems.

CUTUPS
Ryan Friedrich aka. Xanopticon has done some mastering for dj mixes.
He'd probably do it for cheap if you want a pro ear.

xanopticon@gmail.com

SHOWS >> 1.20 BASS THERAPY w/ Cutups, Keeb$ + @ Levels Southside | 1.27 MUSTARD PIMP @ Altar Bar | 2.2 LAZERCRUNK w/ Thunder St. Clair & Tracksploitation @ Brillobox | 2.4 ILLUSIONS w/ Mascara & Rivka @ Cattivo
JodoKaast
What kind of mastering can really be done for a dj mix? Wouldn't it all just be normalizing volume levels across different tracks? It's not like you'd have access to the original tracks.

SheriffKevin
Post from CubanBYeah, we've got a lot of good DJs around here.

it was better than basically 95% of the other music being played at that party.

Nature
Premium Member
Yes.

hit me up.

I'll do it for beer.

-CN
Gunther
Post from CubanBYeah, we've got a lot of good DJs around here.

Dude... I played gamemaster at camelot. I thought Sheriff Kevin was going to shit himself when I dropped it. Then Sean Kramer came over shocked that I played it.

SheriffKevin
Post from GuntherDude... I played gamemaster at camelot. I thought Sheriff Kevin was going to shit himself when I dropped it. Then Sean Kramer came over shocked that I played it.

there was sound issues with all the hardcore, trainwrecks with the dnb, and garbage dubstep.

and then there was peterlee's set.

CubanB
Post from GuntherDude... I played gamemaster at camelot. I thought Sheriff Kevin was going to shit himself when I dropped it. Then Sean Kramer came over shocked that I played it.

lol

That wasn't sarcasm.

I think I remember the story from the reviews actually.

Funny thing is it probably really was one of the better tracks dropped.  

Throw on some classic trance and hand me some fuckin glowsticks.  

EricBliss
Isn't mastering a mix basically squashing the whole thing with compression then making the whole thing louder?

Check out some mixes!  Trance and breaks.  http://lolli.org/Artists/Eric-Bliss.aspx  and also www.deejay-mixes.com/Eric_Bliss
EVICTION
Post from JodoKaastWhat kind of mastering can really be done for a dj mix? Wouldn't it all just be normalizing volume levels across different tracks? It's not like you'd have access to the original tracks.
can do volume leveling (envelopes are pretty precise), and multiband compression.  effects if you need them.  nothing crazy, but can make a big difference.  won't unfortunately hide trainwrecks.

CubanB
Post from EVICTIONcan do volume leveling (envelopes are pretty precise), and multiband compression.  effects if you need them.  nothing crazy, but can make a big difference.  won't unfortunately hide trainwrecks.
It will hide those level flaws though.  Bringing in a track too loud can sound dumb.  

I've been using ableton for mastering and it has some nice tools for it.

I actually record at half as loud as I'd want and then I pull it all up in ableton.  Because if your recording is too loud there is really nothing you can do to fix that.  It will sound like shit.

Gunther
Post from CubanBIt will hide those level flaws though.  Bringing in a track too loud can sound dumb.  

I've been using ableton for mastering and it has some nice tools for it.

I actually record at half as loud as I'd want and then I pull it all up in ableton.  Because if your recording is too loud there is really nothing you can do to fix that.  It will sound like shit.
honestly iZotope Ozone 4 is awesome for mastering. I'm still learning how to do it properly, though. It has defiantly helped with the learning curve though.

I've been using T Racks 3 with great success. The only downside is that it's a cpu hog. At least in standalone mode. You could also run it as a plugin, they say it runs smoother that way, but I've never tried it.

Main MessageBoard / Music Production & Mixing Techniques /
SITE LINKS
Marketing
About Us
Privacy
Legal
SITE HELP
Contact Us
FOLLOW US
Lolli.org on Facebook Facebook
Lolli.org on Twitter Twitter
Lolli.org RSS Feed RSS Feed
NAVIGATION
Events
Msgboard
Mixes (New)
Mixes (Top)
Music Genres

Marketing
Artists
Interviews & Articles
Photo Gallery
Contests
Who We Are

New Mixes Top Mixes Genres
Member Stats
Interviews and Articles Photo Gallery Contests Who We Are
My Messages My Pics My Events My Artists & Mixes Account Settings Customize Lolli Logout