Main MessageBoard / Music Production & Mixing Techniques /

TheEturn
is this true. . . i had heard that techics will be cutting new production on their turntables

the only thing i could really say about it "if it is true" is, thats what happens when you make such a good product that people only need to buy new ones for glamour purpose or every 10-20 years. . my set is ten years old and have never had one single problem with them ever. . oh well yeah one problem. . one of my round feet fell off the bottom from throwin the bastards into the car every weekend for years, but it snapped right back on. . .LoL

JohnWayne
Premium Member
If mine ever break down I'd probably go with a vestax  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAfCfwe17Ws

DJDantron
Time for the Str8-150 to become King!

11/7 7:45:50 PM  brittanyntommy :  them girls  are too young to have aids  plus lesbian sex  is mostly safe
abZ
Well this rumor was started in 2008 and they have yet to discontinue anything.  I think there was an announcement that they would discontinue the MK5 and somehow everyone took it as the whole line being discontinued.  But even the MK5 is still being sold and supported on their site http://www.panasonic.com/consumer_electronics/technics_dj/prod_intro_sl1200mk5.asp  Honestly I wouldn't panic and I have a hard time believing parts won't be made either.  Even if they do then I think it open up the market for a 3rd party to manufacture them.  There are so many of these turntable on the market that parts surely is still a money maker.  I plan on sticking with my already aged 1200's for the rest of my life.  

ddrninja
str8-150 owns!

I will eat your soul
DJDantron
Post from abZWell this rumor was started in 2008 and they have yet to discontinue anything.  I think there was an announcement that they would discontinue the MK5 and somehow everyone took it as the whole line being discontinued.  But even the MK5 is still being sold and supported on their site http://www.panasonic.com/consumer_electronics/technics_dj/prod_intro_sl1200mk5.asp  Honestly I wouldn't panic and I have a hard time believing parts won't be made either.  Even if they do then I think it open up the market for a 3rd party to manufacture them.  There are so many of these turntable on the market that parts surely is still a money maker.  I plan on sticking with my already aged 1200's for the rest of my life.  
The one big thing that makes these rumors more credible now is almost online DJ equipment stores haven't been able to get 1200s in stock for the past couple of months.

11/7 7:45:50 PM  brittanyntommy :  them girls  are too young to have aids  plus lesbian sex  is mostly safe
abZ
Post from DJDantronThe one big thing that makes these rumors more credible now is almost online DJ equipment stores haven't been able to get 1200s in stock for the past couple of months.
Yes I know that but it is pretty well known that they don't dedicate a factory just for those turtables.  They tool it up and make a large run and break it down again.  I can remember times in the past where you couldn't get new techs.  Either way they are not going to quit making parts, that is just unheard of.  That is like if Chevy moved from Cavaliers to Colbalts and tell customers that they can't get oil filters anymore.  If Panasonic itself is going out of business then bets are off but it's not a good look to cut off support for a product just because it isn't in production anymore.  

abZ
Yeah I have heard they are pretty dope and there are quite a few tables on the market that people claim are far superior to techs and I don't disbelieve them but I still have yet to go play a show and there wasn't techs set up for me.  Plain and simple I just see no reason to upgrade I am perfectly content with the 1200.  

Was looking at this the other day too.

http://1200s.com/Store/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=technics+1200&osCsid=09ef302893c465108f052532437b13ef&search.x=0&search.y=0

I think you could build a 1200 from scratch with these parts, they carry everything.  Would be expensive but that isn't the point.  The point is you can fix ANYTING that goes wrong with them.  Which btw rarely happens.  The point is try resurrecting a Vestax deck from the dead I bet you won't find these resources to do it.  Everything made to day is designed to last a few years and then you throw it away and buy a new one.  This is so shit for a ton of reasons.  The 1200's is 70's technology from a time when people bought something and they expected it to last them.  This is what to me is so great about these things.

OMEN
The only thing i like vestex for is scratching....There is alittle more power in the vestaxs

Check me out at FUNK'D UP and RYOB4!
TheEturn
Post from abZWell this rumor was started in 2008 and they have yet to discontinue anything.  I think there was an announcement that they would discontinue the MK5 and somehow everyone took it as the whole line being discontinued.  But even the MK5 is still being sold and supported on their site http://www.panasonic.com/consumer_electronics/technics_dj/prod_intro_sl1200mk5.asp  Honestly I wouldn't panic and I have a hard time believing parts won't be made either.  Even if they do then I think it open up the market for a 3rd party to manufacture them.  There are so many of these turntable on the market that parts surely is still a money maker.  I plan on sticking with my already aged 1200's for the rest of my life.  
yeah thats kind of what i meant. . the new tables(mk5) being discontinued. . i guess i knew they still produced the older ones but wasnt really thinkin bout it when i posted the thread. .

LOL, you literally can buy every piece to build your own. . and the older ones(mk2) arent that complex either. . pretty much anyone with 2 hands could build one with the parst and limited specs. .

thanks though. . i been hearin this for awhile now and it usually turns into a good/bad fight thing on every chatroom with no-one ever givin an answer. . SO THANKS ABZ

abZ
Post from TheEturnyeah thats kind of what i meant. . the new tables(mk5) being discontinued. . i guess i knew they still produced the older ones but wasnt really thinkin bout it when i posted the thread. .

LOL, you literally can buy every piece to build your own. . and the older ones(mk2) arent that complex either. . pretty much anyone with 2 hands could build one with the parst and limited specs. .

thanks though. . i been hearin this for awhile now and it usually turns into a good/bad fight thing on every chatroom with no-one ever givin an answer. . SO THANKS ABZ
Yeah no one gives an answer because there is no answer to give.  For all I know they ARE done with the 1200's.  When I google searched for news there basically hasn't been any new news regarding this in the last 2 years and that message 2 years ago was this, that they are quiting and as far as I know it was little more than a misunderstanding that lead to a nasty rumor.  So who fucking knows?  All I know is I have a set so I am good.  I keep seeing techs go for crazy cheap prices seems like every month or so.  Someday I would defo like to pick up a spare.  Like I said not really trying to use anything else ever.  

DJDantron
It basically boils down to the fact that there are tables out there who have specs that are superior to technics, and many believe they are better. Personally, I love my Str8-150s, and would never trade them for Techs. But, Technics have been around forever, and the term "industry standard" doesn't come lightly. You'll have plenty of fanboys/girls who will never trade their techs for anything, even if it is a superior table. There are also people who know that there are superior tables, but still won't trade up their techs because they've been so used to them for 10+ years, which I completely understand.

I think in 5 years you will see how much the TT market has changed, and how other tables will start to rise in popularity.

MEZZANINE
Post from DJDantronIt basically boils down to the fact that there are tables out there who have specs that are superior to technics, and many believe they are better. Personally, I love my Str8-150s, and would never trade them for Techs. But, Technics have been around forever, and the term "industry standard" doesn't come lightly. You'll have plenty of fanboys/girls who will never trade their techs for anything, even if it is a superior table. There are also people who know that there are superior tables, but still won't trade up their techs because they've been so used to them for 10+ years, which I completely understand.

I think in 5 years you will see how much the TT market has changed, and how other tables will start to rise in popularity.
lol

XTRO
Technic turntables are like Independent trucks.
They are big, heavy, virtually indestructible and EVERYONE recognizes the logo.
Unfortunately, they are totally primitive on a technological level.

XTRO
Post from MEZZANINElol
You "lol".....but vinyl is dead and Pioneer is kicking the living shit out of Technic's CD turntable.
I think the kid drives a pretty valid point.

MEZZANINE
Post from XTROYou "lol".....but vinyl is dead and Pioneer is kicking the living shit out of Technic's CD turntable.
I think the kid drives a pretty valid point.
Vinyl isn't dead

MEZZANINE
Post from MEZZANINEVinyl isn't dead
Perhaps more rare and genuine, but certainly not dead

XTRO
When guys our age were brought into the world, the record player and record collection were and average part of every home across America. We grew up with it, had our own little Star Wars or Care Bears records (and we all knew not to fuck with Dad's Sinatra records, right?). Vinyl was THEE format, for Djs and average listeners alike.

But take the average kid that's interested in picking up djing today. Most kids will tell you, they want CDJs and a harddrive full of mp3s over Technics and a milkcrate full of dusty tracks. Some of these kats may be attracted to the mystique of mixing vinyl. But none of them will ever have to rely on record shops and "records" the way we all did. And so they will never have the same close relationship to it that our generation has.

Look into the future. Consider our generation pissed out and long faded into the back obscurity's closet. Say another 10-20, even 30 years down the line, when all the future "old heads" learned the strokes of the game using digital, virtual formats. Who's going to care about vinyl, even out of nostalgia?

When the generations that lived and learned with the "record player" and "record collection" start to die from old age, the "record Disk Jock" will walk the stairway to heaven with them.

.....Anyways....that wasn't even really my point.....
As far as I can see Technic 1200 has already lost it's resident spot as "industry standard" to Pioneer's CDJ.

MEZZANINE
Post from XTROWhen guys our age were brought into the world, the record player and record collection were and average part of every home across America. We grew up with it, had our own little Star Wars or Care Bears records (and we all knew not to fuck with Dad's Sinatra records, right?). Vinyl was THEE format, for Djs and average listeners alike.

But take the average kid that's interested in picking up djing today. Most kids will tell you, they want CDJs and a harddrive full of mp3s over Technics and a milkcrate full of dusty tracks. Some of these kats may be attracted to the mystique of mixing vinyl. But none of them will ever have to rely on record shops and "records" the way we all did. And so they will never have the same close relationship to it that our generation has.

Look into the future. Consider our generation pissed out and long faded into the back obscurity's closet. Say another 10-20, even 30 years down the line, when all the future "old heads" learned the strokes of the game using digital, virtual formats. Who's going to care about vinyl, even out of nostalgia?

When the generations that lived and learned with the "record player" and "record collection" start to die from old age, the "record Disk Jock" will walk the stairway to heaven with them.

.....Anyways....that wasn't even really my point.....
As far as I can see Technic 1200 has already lost it's resident spot as "industry standard" to Pioneer's CDJ.
Making the vinyl DJ all that more rare, precious, and potentially sought after?

A rough comparison, but the piano has been around for 300+ years, even after the dawn of electronic imitations.

Regardless, technology doesn't make the DJ, or the musician. I believe there will always be vinyl DJs. A dying breed, perhaps, but far from extinct - and what more does a vinyl DJ need than two techs? White noise sweep generators and an auto-tuned pitch? You know as well as I do that those average kids who still want to be DJs and have yet to actually be DJs don't know jack shit! Gotta be a music and a sound lover before you have something to offer to a world audience, and vinyl collectors I trust to have a higher ratio of music awareness & education than your mp3 DJ, if not simply based on the amount of work and $ it takes to get that vinyl in the first place.

MEZZANINE
Do the tunes you buy sound so bad at the pitch they were recorded at that you have to pitch them up fifty bloody percent?

jskratch
-50% pitch is good for learning new scratches too. The slower the platter speed, the easier it is for hand control.

rukkus
There are a ton of awesome reasons to have the ability to adjust the pitch by way more than +/-8.

The ability to mix two tracks with vastly differnt BPMs cleanly. Both tracks might sounds great at their respective BPMs. Playing accaepella's that are just out of range is a pain the ass ect.

Like Jscratch said, slowing the BPM of a looper track is good for learning new complicated scratches.

Just plain doing tricks, like on a cdj-1000 I like to speed up a track to a tone sometimes to play the pitch fader like a trumbone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d98_cAv4o5E

XTRO
No, I ment turntables in general. Technic has been selling the same design with little or no up-dates for longer than you or I have been alive. They are a sturdy turntable to be sure and they do their job just fine.  But I like options. I may never "NEED" +/-50% pitch and I may never need to play an entire track in reverse, but it's nice to know I have that freedom if need be. And I prefer a straight tone arm, because there is less worry about jumping or skating needles. Technic has yet to offer any of this and I don't mind working with some of the competing products out there.

I owned a set of Stanton STR8-100's about 7 or 8 years ago when they were still fairly new on the market. 1200's were only about $200 more and I could have afforded them, but I made a daring move and went with the under-dog. Honestly I loved those tables. They were my favorite set up to date. And while they have been packed away and out of use for some time now, they still preform their function just as well as the day I pulled them out of the box.

XTRO
and what more does a vinyl DJ need than two techs?

A friendly, neighborhood record shop :)

Main MessageBoard / Music Production & Mixing Techniques /
SITE LINKS
Marketing
About Us
Privacy
Legal
SITE HELP
Contact Us
FOLLOW US
Lolli.org on Facebook Facebook
Lolli.org on Twitter Twitter
Lolli.org RSS Feed RSS Feed
NAVIGATION
Events
Msgboard
Mixes (New)
Mixes (Top)
Music Genres

Marketing
Artists
Interviews & Articles
Photo Gallery
Contests
Who We Are

New Mixes Top Mixes Genres
Member Stats
Interviews and Articles Photo Gallery Contests Who We Are
My Messages My Pics My Events My Artists & Mixes Account Settings Customize Lolli Logout