Main MessageBoard / Music Production & Mixing Techniques /

Tangent
What are the rules here?  Can I rip a sample from a film and use it in a song?  Can I use cuts from other songs?  What about random .wav files I find lying around the net?  Is Josh Smith of Wyoming going to seek damages if I write a song using the sound of a cow shitting he recorded in 1994?

I basically just have no idea about any of the legal parameters regarding sampling, 'fair use', etc.  I imagine they would differ if I was selling the song?  To what degree is using a song I wrote featuring a sample from a film, for example, in a DJ set for which I am paid using it for 'profit'?

Gunther
http://www.copyright.gov/docs/2180_stat.html

doog
Premium Member
Just do it don't be a little bitch.

abZ
Well if you don't use illegal samples then your conscience is clear and you don't have to worry about anything but I am a sample guy.  I wouldn't really worry about it too much.  Unless you have something really huge on your hands you are not going to get sued.  They are only going to sue if they think they can win the case and a sufficient amount of money.  Plus even if you do write something that is that brilliant then the labels legal department can sort out the samples for you.  

Main MessageBoard / Music Production & Mixing Techniques /
SITE LINKS
Marketing
About Us
Privacy
Legal
SITE HELP
Contact Us
FOLLOW US
Lolli.org on Facebook Facebook
Lolli.org on Twitter Twitter
Lolli.org RSS Feed RSS Feed
NAVIGATION
Events
Msgboard
Mixes (New)
Mixes (Top)
Music Genres

Marketing
Artists
Interviews & Articles
Photo Gallery
Contests
Who We Are

New Mixes Top Mixes Genres
Member Stats
Interviews and Articles Photo Gallery Contests Who We Are
My Messages My Pics My Events My Artists & Mixes Account Settings Customize Lolli Logout