Main MessageBoard / Music Production & Mixing Techniques /

1 2
abZ
Post from JodoKaastBased on that sample, I'm not sure what you think is wrong... It doesn't sound horrible to me. At least not because of clipping or interference or something.

How much worse from the original tracks your playing does this sound?
I beg to differ that does sound like gash I mean it could be because the original tunes were produced by a n00b but I don't think so.  

It doesn't really sound like it is clipping and from the looks of the wave it doesn't look like it is either.  My guess would be that you think you have it switched to line input when it really isn't.  Or maybe the soundcard doesn't have a true line level input it just sort of attenuates the mic input.  I don't know I am just throwing out some wild guesses.  You don't have another computer handy?  Maybe do the same set up on another computer and see if the results differ.  

abZ
Also you could try different software.  I usually use Sound Forge but Audacity is pretty comparable and completely free http://audacity.sourceforge.net/  You really need to sort you levels out with a proper meter, I would imagine Acid has a meter you basically want to make sure the levels on your mixer are near or under null (0db) and then make sure the meter on your software is hitting a bit lower than that like at least -6db or so to give you some room for error.  I don't think that is your problem but it sounds like you aren't doing this right so here is a tip on that.  

TheScythian462
Yeah, that clip sounds terrible.  

Might be a cable issue.

Otherwise, I'm thinking a soundcard setting somewhere is screwed up.  Or your soundcard really does suck.

abZ
Post from TheScythian462Yeah, that clip sounds terrible.  

Might be a cable issue.

Otherwise, I'm thinking a soundcard setting somewhere is screwed up.  Or your soundcard really does suck.
Cable either works or it doesn't.  Not the problem imo.  It isn't out of the question that the soundcard just plain sux at all.  Didn't he say it was a netbook?  Most netbooks are kinda cheapo all the way around.  

TheScythian462
Post from abZCable either works or it doesn't.  Not the problem imo.  It isn't out of the question that the soundcard just plain sux at all.  Didn't he say it was a netbook?  Most netbooks are kinda cheapo all the way around.  

For some reason I remember having problems with cables.  If not cables, various adapters.  

Might be smokin' crack or something.

It kinda sounds like he's going into a mic input as well.  

TheScythian462
I'm really thinking this is where dude's problem is coming from.  I think some laptops, you can choose between using your input as line or mic.  A mic input will sound alot different due to amplification that takes place.

I really think this is the problem, but dude will have to dig in to all aspects of windows sound settings as well as his sound cards sound settings.

Listening again, I almost guarantee that's what it it is.

TheScythian462
I know on my laptop...which is xp...you have the speaker icon in the lower right of the screen.  If you click that, it brings up the mixer panel.  

If you than click on the "options" menu, you can go to properties, and click on the "recording" settings.  Click ok and it comes up with a new mixer which let's you select between mic and stereo mix.  

I would try stereo mix at first.  

If it still doesn't work, repeat the above steps, until you bring up the record mixer, click the options menu again, and check advanced controls.  Than click the "Advanced button" that shows up at the bottom of the mixer, and in the window that pops up, uncheck "microphone boost" or whatever it is.

Just goof around as much as possible with that retarded little speaker icon.  I almost guarantee your fix lies there.

If you're in vista though, just kill youself.  (J/K, they just make things more complex than it should be.)

abZ
Post from TheScythian462I know on my laptop...which is xp...you have the speaker icon in the lower right of the screen.  If you click that, it brings up the mixer panel.  

If you than click on the "options" menu, you can go to properties, and click on the "recording" settings.  Click ok and it comes up with a new mixer which let's you select between mic and stereo mix.  

I would try stereo mix at first.  

If it still doesn't work, repeat the above steps, until you bring up the record mixer, click the options menu again, and check advanced controls.  Than click the "Advanced button" that shows up at the bottom of the mixer, and in the window that pops up, uncheck "microphone boost" or whatever it is.

Just goof around as much as possible with that retarded little speaker icon.  I almost guarantee your fix lies there.

If you're in vista though, just kill youself.  (J/K, they just make things more complex than it should be.)
Actually I think Vista and Windows 7 is pretty easy but then again I haven't used a stock sound card in conjunction with these OS.  I have two external boxes at my disposal so why would I?  I would recommend you all look into externals but it is kind of a waste if you don't have proper monitors or headphones to hook into them.  

DJSerra
I've switched to audacity and stereo mix.  This is what it sounds like: http://soundcloud.com/djserra/example-520  Sounds pretty much identical to the other, I think.  I'm not perfectly tech-savvy, but I'm no knucklehead either.  I can't seem to figure this out, though.

TheScythian462
Post from DJSerraI've switched to audacity and stereo mix.  This is what it sounds like: http://soundcloud.com/djserra/example-520  Sounds pretty much identical to the other, I think.  I'm not perfectly tech-savvy, but I'm no knucklehead either.  I can't seem to figure this out, though.
did you turn your microphone boost off?

Didn't mean to insult your intelligence either, I just suck at explaining puters over the innertubes.

DJSerra
Post from TheScythian462did you turn your microphone boost off?

Didn't mean to insult your intelligence either, I just suck at explaining puters over the innertubes.
I didn't think anyone was insulting my intelligence, it's all good.  I was just having a moment of frustration.

And yes, mic boost is off.  My levels were all adjusted to be just below red, too.

Not sure what else to dooooooo.........

DJSerra
Yeah, I think I might try to get that handsome Xer0 fellow to bring his laptop over, since I know he's got Acid working perfectly.

abZ
Well this is not an issue with Acid or Audacity then.  I would place a heavy wager on it being something to do with your sound card be it the driver or the card just plain blows.  If your freinds computer records perfectly which I suspect it will then your mixer / hardware is all good too.  At that point you will need a new i/o.  I would suggest gathering 200 to 300 and do some serious research but if you need a quick and cheap fix there are some alternatives out there.  This thing will work in a pinch http://www.guitarcenter.com/Behringer-U-CONTROL-UCA202-USB-Audio-Interface-702540-i1154403.gc

DJSerra
Nice.  Thanks a lot for your help, everyone.

abZ
Adapters wouldn't be the problem.  A bad cable will either cut out or not work at all or it could introduce noise but bad cable will not make it sound like that.  The advantage to the bigger plugs is they are more durable and usually the cables are higher quality.  I used a cheapo sound blaster for YEARS and the only reason I upgraded was because the input broke off from the board.  After upgrading I wished I would have done it sooner tho.  The only thing I regret with the Audio Kontrol 1 is it does not have balanced outputs.  I do get some noise through my monitors which makes me want to cry.  Not even sure balanced cables would help to be honest I have some electricity problems in the studio but it certainly wouldn't hurt.

abZ
if you use a stereo 1/8" to rca Y cable it's fine I did it for years.  

J
Post from abZCable either works or it doesn't.  Not the problem imo.  It isn't out of the question that the soundcard just plain sux at all.  Didn't he say it was a netbook?  Most netbooks are kinda cheapo all the way around.  

Not true...  cables can certainly sound like shit if the grounds / leads are worn through or bent too much.  I'm at work - cant listen to this now but I'll give it a listen later.

J
ah!  I gotta drop out of this one if you're recording through the mic.  I've NEVER done that and wouldn't recommend it.  Good luck

TheEturn
post your specs, from the netbook, someone will probably be able to tell from there if the soundcard is even worth recording onto. . even if you can get a hold of another laptop to record onto it would be nice to kno

control panel --->hardware and sound--->(what does it say)

also the specs of the comp itself might have something to do with it, mybe there is some type on wierd ltency problem on the input

maybe your soundcard is trying to save it at a low qual to record. . i know some of those cheap soundcards(well way better than stock)that you buy at best buy or whatever will resample your sound at a lower level so using 320kbs track doesnt matter cause the soundcard resamples the sound at 128 or even 64 and by doing so will throw the fuckin bass in the gutter as well as compressing the hell and mushing the whole damn recording

JodoKaast
Post from Jah!  I gotta drop out of this one if you're recording through the mic.  I've NEVER done that and wouldn't recommend it.  Good luck
Mic boosts are usually implemented at the driver level, not at a hardware level, so it's usually as simple as changing your mic input to act as a line-in input.

Usually. Laptop specs probably would be useful for diagnosis.

DJSerra
Post from TheEturnpost your specs, from the netbook, someone will probably be able to tell from there if the soundcard is even worth recording onto. . even if you can get a hold of another laptop to record onto it would be nice to kno

control panel --->hardware and sound--->(what does it say)

also the specs of the comp itself might have something to do with it, mybe there is some type on wierd ltency problem on the input

maybe your soundcard is trying to save it at a low qual to record. . i know some of those cheap soundcards(well way better than stock)that you buy at best buy or whatever will resample your sound at a lower level so using 320kbs track doesnt matter cause the soundcard resamples the sound at 128 or even 64 and by doing so will throw the fuckin bass in the gutter as well as compressing the hell and mushing the whole damn recording

I don't have anything listed as "hardware and sound", though I have a "sounds and audio devices" and within that, there is a hardware tab.  I'm not sure what information you are looking for, with that screen.  Here's a screen shot, for now:

TheEturn
i know that realtek soundcard is standard but it will record fine. . but what is that legacy audio, and video. . .if anyone knows. . i will look it up but i got to finish work. . .LOL. . .you just got me curious. .

CobraCommandy
You aren't going to get a decent recording from a netbook mic input (or any mic input for that matter.) If you do not have a soundcard or audio interface that is adequately converting analog to digital you are going to have poor recordings. No cable, jack or software is going to correct that, ever. You should be recording at at least 44.1khz and 16bit depth, less than that it's going to sound "lossy-er" and "lossy-er". I don't really think that any integrated soundcards would be capable of any kind of decent recording.

Some other things to consider:
How are you converting your .wav files to .mp3? What bitrate are you transcoding them too? Have you tried using any of the Waves mastering software for your "mastering" needs? Just throw Waves into your DAW and import the .wav file, make the adjustments you need to, bounce it down, and there you have it. Hell, just record it in your DAW.

beatpoet
Does your laptop have a built in mic in it?  I had an issue with a laptop where it had a built in mic and it was picking up room noise from that instead of using the actual mic input, once I disabled it, everything was fine...

1 2

Main MessageBoard / Music Production & Mixing Techniques /
SITE LINKS
Marketing
About Us
Privacy
Legal
SITE HELP
Contact Us
FOLLOW US
Lolli.org on Facebook Facebook
Lolli.org on Twitter Twitter
Lolli.org RSS Feed RSS Feed
NAVIGATION
Events
Msgboard
Mixes (New)
Mixes (Top)
Music Genres

Marketing
Artists
Interviews & Articles
Photo Gallery
Contests
Who We Are

New Mixes Top Mixes Genres
Member Stats
Interviews and Articles Photo Gallery Contests Who We Are
My Messages My Pics My Events My Artists & Mixes Account Settings Customize Lolli Logout