Main MessageBoard / Music Production & Mixing Techniques /

1 2
DJSerra
Lately I've been recording myself mix using the TAPE out on my mixer, plugging into the mic port on my pc (which is config'd as a line in, not mic), and I'm recording using ACID pro 7.

When I play back my recordings, they sound really muffled and poopy.  I'm using 320 tracks, so I'm thinking this might be due to lousy hardware.  My computer is just a $300 netbook, so the sound card is nothing fancy, and my mixer is the same model Behringer we've been seeing floating around TWT lately, and also in the basement at in-foam-o (based on pictures).

Lousy gear, or can I be doing something to fix the problem?

doog
Premium Member
You gotta amplify that shit.

JohnWayne
Premium Member
Post from doogYou gotta amplify that shit.
it might be the soundcard?

rukkus
Start at the mixer, you want the signal from that as high as it can go without red lining. First put the chanel up to max then the main. (adjust the playback volume at the receiver or speaker not the main output on the mixer you'll always want that to be maxed out, one or no reds).

Then go to the line in levels on your computer and adjust those so that is below clipping. (This might be really really low depending on mixer computer combos mine is at 7/100 usually)

I've found most people have issues with quality recording when it's the other way around (computer line in turned up highest and the mixer levels low). This might sound ok at playback but in reality you are giving the computer a weaker signal to interperet to 1s and 0s.

If this doesn't work and using a diff program doesn't work, it's probably an equipment issue.

doog
Premium Member
Yeah a $300 laptop would have a real shitty soundcard.

incydeout
Yeah a $300 laptop would have a real shitty soundcard.

Nature
Premium Member
Get some good equipment. Try again.

-CN
djgraph
ive recorded plenty of pro recordings with laptops

dunno what you fools are talking about

e:  literally rca->ministereo from mixer out to laptop mic jack

i actually miss netic. w/e on all of you
BOINGTHUMP
Premium Member
Why not use a tape deck?

Also some things just shouldnt be shared with the general population...or even on a message board...definately not here on Lolli.
incydeout
Post from djgraphive recorded plenty of pro recordings with laptops

dunno what you fools are talking about

e:  literally rca->ministereo from mixer out to laptop mic jack
C'mon man. I'm tryin to sell my soundcard here.

All laptop soundcards suck. Except for the Echo Indigo IO of course. http://www.echoaudio.com/Products/CardBus/IndigoIO/index.php PM me if you're interested.

/spam

djgraph
sorry you wasted money on an external soundcard

J
have you tried swapping your "tape out" & master out to see if it makes the same hiss and pops through your stereo?

Joey gave some good advice but I don't think redlining will give you the pops and noise you're talking about.

edit: do you have a booth monitor output on your mixer?  If you do I would use your booth monitor to run to your stereo and then use your master out for the laptop.

JodoKaast
Could be interference from the power source. My roommate's dad's laptop would always pick up RF interference when it was plugged it, and it came through in the sound. Try unplugging the laptop and see if you're still getting it.

djgraph
Post from JodoKaastCould be interference from the power source. My roommate's dad's laptop would always pick up RF interference when it was plugged it, and it came through in the sound. Try unplugging the laptop and see if you're still getting it.
this is a good suggestion but i doubt the power brick to a current-day netbook would emit that much rf

stranger things have happened though.

djgraph
also what settings are you recording at in the software?

if it's 8bit/16khz then yeah, there's gonna be a problem

DJSerra
Post from djgraphalso what settings are you recording at in the software?

if it's 8bit/16khz then yeah, there's gonna be a problem
I have no idea, to be honest.  I'll check and post soon, but I'm on my way out of town for the weekend.  I'm not bailing on this thread, I'm just not around until Sat.

Thanks for the tips and I'll be sure to try them as soon as I return.  I really like the idea of master to laptop, booth to stereo.  I feel like that's something very common sense that I should have already been doing.

djgraph
I have no idea, to be honest.

problem found

abZ
Post from djgraphsorry you wasted money on an external soundcard
Not true I wouldn't trust a laptop internal soundcard for recording.  I can't even listen through the output of my laptop because it sounds so bad so I could only imagine what a recording would sound like.  I would bet guy has the levels too high but I can only guess from the clues I am given.  If you posted up a small section of the recording on here I bet we could narrow it down for you pretty quick.  After that it is a matter of trouble shooting.  

J
Post from DJSerraI have no idea, to be honest.  I'll check and post soon, but I'm on my way out of town for the weekend.  I'm not bailing on this thread, I'm just not around until Sat.

Thanks for the tips and I'll be sure to try them as soon as I return.  I really like the idea of master to laptop, booth to stereo.  I feel like that's something very common sense that I should have already been doing.
I think you'll be golden.  Good luck.

J
Post from DJSerraI have no idea, to be honest.  I'll check and post soon, but I'm on my way out of town for the weekend.  I'm not bailing on this thread, I'm just not around until Sat.

I think you'll be golden.  Good luck.

DJSerra
It looks like I've been recording at 44,100 hZ with the bit depth at 16.

I'll put a sample clip on soundcloud and link it.  One moment, please.

DJSerra
Shit, I'm having technical difficulties.  My best option right now is uploading a 2 hour (wav) track.  Fart on that.  I'll take another stab at it when I'm not so exhausted.

DJSerra
Okay, I've now switched so my master out goes to my computer, my booth goes to my stereo, and I adjusted my volumes on the computer just by wearing headphones and listening for any ugliness.  The recording still turned out like poop.

Here's a 2 minute example.  It gets even uglier as the second (trainwrecked) track comes in.

http://soundcloud.com/djserra/track-1-9

DJSerra
Not sure.  What would be some examples?

JodoKaast
Based on that sample, I'm not sure what you think is wrong... It doesn't sound horrible to me. At least not because of clipping or interference or something.

How much worse from the original tracks your playing does this sound?

1 2

Main MessageBoard / Music Production & Mixing Techniques /
SITE LINKS
Marketing
About Us
Privacy
Legal
SITE HELP
Contact Us
FOLLOW US
Lolli.org on Facebook Facebook
Lolli.org on Twitter Twitter
Lolli.org RSS Feed RSS Feed
NAVIGATION
Events
Msgboard
Mixes (New)
Mixes (Top)
Music Genres

Marketing
Artists
Interviews & Articles
Photo Gallery
Contests
Who We Are

New Mixes Top Mixes Genres
Member Stats
Interviews and Articles Photo Gallery Contests Who We Are
My Messages My Pics My Events My Artists & Mixes Account Settings Customize Lolli Logout