Main MessageBoard / Music Production & Mixing Techniques /

crazyb
I was wondering if anyone has or had the problem i have.

I finally got a good setup to practice at home and no longer have roommates.  My progression has seem to stopped for the sole reason that I don't have an audience.

Granted if it sounds good, i know it.  but for the most part i have no clue.  i'm used to someone patting me on the back or telling me i'm doing good.  and vice versa if the mix is butt.

so lately, i'll spin alone for a few hours, and other then the act of practicing, i can't tell if what i'm playing sounds any good.  I always do better, i think when i'm amongst peers to judge me.  not kids to dance to it, other dj's who can realize what i am doing.  idk i'm whining i guess.  i'm pumped to tryout at twt though

I dream of playing a sunrise set in front of all of you.
TBOT3001
wait, how cant you tell.  in the middle of a mix step back, take the phones off and listen.  if it sounds like shit, get back in the lab.  if it sounds good then youre good.  i would think if you dj, you can tell the dif between a a good mix and a bad one.

i dont need anyone to tell me if i am rocking it or fucking up.  you should just know.

alucard666
Post from TBOT3001wait, how cant you tell.  in the middle of a mix step back, take the phones off and listen.  if it sounds like shit, get back in the lab.  if it sounds good then youre good.  i would think if you dj, you can tell the dif between a a good mix and a bad one.

i dont need anyone to tell me if i am rocking it or fucking up.  you should just know.

This^^

Also my wall has been my best friend for 10 years. I can tell u  every crack it has in it and prolly tell you how it got there. My wall never tells me good job and never heckles me when im doing bad. If you need people around you might not have as much love for it as you thought. Oh and I played for Lady psychedelic and only her at funk of the Irish and let me tell ya that she moves better than my wall.

Also you do have the interwebz. Record and Send me or I'm sure a lot of others your mixes and get them critiqued.

crazyb
i guess your right.  it just happens often where people will say that that sounded really good and i'll say really?  the only time i'm impressed with myself is if its amazing.  just good and idk, i'm just playing.  i definately can tell if it sounds horrible.  but if its just some mix that i'm playing, i guess it sounds good.  i'm neither tone deaf nor unable to spot a trainwreck.  i can notice a key clash a mile away. fuck why am i defending myself?  nevermind i guess back into the basement

crazyb
Post from alucard666This^^

Also my wall has been my best friend for 10 years. I can tell u  every crack it has in it and prolly tell you how it got there. My wall never tells me good job and never heckles me when im doing bad. If you need people around you might not have as much love for it as you thought. Oh and I played for Lady psychedelic and only her at funk of the Irish and let me tell ya that she moves better than my wall.

Also you do have the interwebz. Record and Send me or I'm sure a lot of others your mixes and get them critiqued.
ya that's one idea i thought would work.  just record all of it and listen to it, kind of like when a band is just jamming out.  listen to it later to realize what was good and what was better.

JodoKaast
Post from crazybya that's one idea i thought would work.  just record all of it and listen to it, kind of like when a band is just jamming out.  listen to it later to realize what was good and what was better.
Yeah, I do this all the time. Sometimes when you're in the process of mixing, you don't hear each and every thing from the tracks, so it's helpful to go back and listen to it with a clear mindset and see what ya think of the final product.

abZ
Yeah I don't dj very often at my house by myself anymore and even when I do I often stop records and try another song if the mix isn't sounding right it isn't like real time practicing.  I have regressed because of this for sure but it has been a long time since I lived with roomates and had freinds around regularly.  Would like to get my radio show going again but not sure my DSL is going to be sufficient.  You at least get an audience via the internets.

DjRM
Post from crazybI was wondering if anyone has or had the problem i have.

I finally got a good setup to practice at home and no longer have roommates.  My progression has seem to stopped for the sole reason that I don't have an audience.

Granted if it sounds good, i know it.  but for the most part i have no clue.  i'm used to someone patting me on the back or telling me i'm doing good.  and vice versa if the mix is butt.

so lately, i'll spin alone for a few hours, and other then the act of practicing, i can't tell if what i'm playing sounds any good.  I always do better, i think when i'm amongst peers to judge me.  not kids to dance to it, other dj's who can realize what i am doing.  idk i'm whining i guess.  i'm pumped to tryout at twt though
I had a similar period in which I felt a lot like you do. I remember thinking I felt stagnant... I was new here and didn't know anybody yet, so I would still practice, but with only my gf patronizing me I couldn't tell really if i was progressing at all.  

So I started recording my mixes and listening to them. Use whatever works for you to record, and critique yourself. Worked for me till TWT started...

DJDantron
Get a webcam and a stickam account, and turn it on every time you DJ if you want an audience.

11/7 7:45:50 PM  brittanyntommy :  them girls  are too young to have aids  plus lesbian sex  is mostly safe
ClickyFlashyTHings
Post from alucard666This^^

i was there to.....i was hiding in my corner

rukkus
Spin whatever sounds good to you, don't sweat everyone's bullshit approval because it's all subjective.

MEZZANINE
Post from rukkusSpin whatever sounds good to you, don't sweat everyone's bullshit approval because it's all subjective.
Furthermore, being confident in what you are playing will project itself onto your audience. Don't forget you're the DJ, not them (well, at least while you are DJ'ing... ! )

MEZZANINE
Post from MEZZANINEFurthermore, being confident in what you are playing will project itself onto your audience. Don't forget you're the DJ, not them (well, at least while you are DJ'ing... ! )
For the record, it has taken me years to fully be comfortable with what I play. I am still not 100% (not sure if I will ever truly be) but I feel pretty good about the quality of what I play and it results in a much more peaceful resolve after a gig or a session, particularly the ones where I may not have done as well as I would have preferred.

The opinions of others certainly weighed more on my mind some years ago. Thinking is different than knowing; it takes sheer experience to achieve a certain level of self confidence (from what I have learned, anyway).

My best advice, which is really cliche, but: if you love to do it, there is no reason to ever stop; don't ever give up !

crazyb
Post from MEZZANINEFurthermore, being confident in what you are playing will project itself onto your audience. Don't forget you're the DJ, not them (well, at least while you are DJ'ing... ! )
ya i had a problem with that sometimes too, if i play in front of someone i look up too; eryn evans, kramer, nice nate, i fuck up so bad.  i'd be so concerned with what they're thinking, that i won't be thinking about what i want to play.

but if i play in front of someone who really doesn't know what i'm doing, just listening, i'll play better then ever.

but thanks everyone, i took all this in and am working it out

Skoots
Post from crazybI was wondering if anyone has or had the problem i have.

just record it make ur judgment for yourself

DJSerra
You should start by inviting over former roommates, Bill. :)

TBOT3001
Post from MEZZANINEFor the record, it has taken me years to fully be comfortable with what I play. I am still not 100% (not sure if I will ever truly be) but I feel pretty good about the quality of what I play and it results in a much more peaceful resolve after a gig or a session, particularly the ones where I may not have done as well as I would have preferred.

The opinions of others certainly weighed more on my mind some years ago. Thinking is different than knowing; it takes sheer experience to achieve a certain level of self confidence (from what I have learned, anyway).

My best advice, which is really cliche, but: if you love to do it, there is no reason to ever stop; don't ever give up !
way to quote yourself there, donkeyblood.

funkreformer
Post from MEZZANINEFor the record, it has taken me years to fully be comfortable with what I play. I am still not 100% (not sure if I will ever truly be) but I feel pretty good about the quality of what I play and it results in a much more peaceful resolve after a gig or a session, particularly the ones where I may not have done as well as I would have preferred.

THIS.

you said exactly what i wanted to say. when i played at Earth I was nervous as shit, because i hadn't spun in front of anyone in three years prior to that gig. i felt better after my first mix, cause i knew the tracks and it went smooth, but when i looked up and saw that most of the people at the party dancing and laughing a few minutes later, i had that warm fuzzy, that high, and i wondered why i had given up before. DON't GIVE UP.

you'll get better. just hafto want it.

"Funny how you never notice the potholes until yer in the trunk." - my neighbor
J
record yourself more often.  You can be your own audience.

Main MessageBoard / Music Production & Mixing Techniques /
SITE LINKS
Marketing
About Us
Privacy
Legal
SITE HELP
Contact Us
FOLLOW US
Lolli.org on Facebook Facebook
Lolli.org on Twitter Twitter
Lolli.org RSS Feed RSS Feed
NAVIGATION
Events
Msgboard
Mixes (New)
Mixes (Top)
Music Genres

Marketing
Artists
Interviews & Articles
Photo Gallery
Contests
Who We Are

New Mixes Top Mixes Genres
Member Stats
Interviews and Articles Photo Gallery Contests Who We Are
My Messages My Pics My Events My Artists & Mixes Account Settings Customize Lolli Logout