Main MessageBoard / Music Production & Mixing Techniques /

DUBV
Premium Member
I never hear anyone talk about pro tools. I thought it was pretty much the standard....

incydeout
I've never used it, but it's expensive and not portable. Plus, I hear it's kinda glitchy (I heard that from an admissions rep at the conservatory of recordinc arts and sciences.) But supposedly it's the best thing for recording audo with... makes studio life a real breeze. I'd like to get my hands on a copy to see what it's like, but its really inaccessible to hobbyists like myself.

Dario
You probably don't hear about it, because it's what professionals use for studio mastering. It is not just hobbyist diy software for music production. You need a beast of a computer to run it(dedicated computer for it helps), and you will probably need about $30k of studio equipment like mixing boards, dsp's, etc. to get the full functionality of it. Basically it is recording studio and mastering software. The average electronic music producer will never use it until their tracks are being studio mastered.

pablo814
Premium Member
Post from DarioYou probably don't hear about it, because it's what professionals use for studio mastering. It is not just hobbyist diy software for music production. You need a beast of a computer to run it(dedicated computer for it helps), and you will probably need about $30k of studio equipment like mixing boards, dsp's, etc. to get the full functionality of it. Basically it is recording studio and mastering software. The average electronic music producer will never use it until their tracks are being studio mastered.
Even then, there are other programs that are a hell of alot smaller and easier to use when it comes to mastering. Pro Tools is a hell of a program if you have years of studio experience and are running a studio, if that isn't you you really don't need it.

"Honey, I want to do something, we never do anything!" "We are doing something. I'm watching the game and eating a sandwich, and you are making me another sandwich!"
doog
Premium Member
It's also mainly used for multi-tracking bands I believe.  Most people these days are using Logic/Ableton/Cubase to produce electronic and a few people still enjoy crippling themselves on Reason.

JodoKaast
Anything you might need Pro Tools for, you can just use Ableton + Waves plugins. At least for any kind of electronic music.

abZ
Post from DarioYou probably don't hear about it, because it's what professionals use for studio mastering. It is not just hobbyist diy software for music production. You need a beast of a computer to run it(dedicated computer for it helps), and you will probably need about $30k of studio equipment like mixing boards, dsp's, etc. to get the full functionality of it. Basically it is recording studio and mastering software. The average electronic music producer will never use it until their tracks are being studio mastered.
No that isn't true, none of the mastering houses I know use Protools and you don't need any more of a computer to run it than the more popular DAW's.  It is the standard for tracking in recording studio's that is true but it us mostly due to the fact that it was established over 20 years ago.  20 years ago it was clearly superior to anything else for harddisk recording.  Originally it didn't even do midi.  That has been implemented in the last few years.  I know people that use it for DIY music production but from most accounts it is awkward for this purpose.  You can get started on protools for as little as 250 plus a laptop http://www.guitarcenter.com/Digidesign-Mbox-2-Micro-104772421-i1372894.gc  

The real reason not many people use it is because it has never been cracked.  

incydeout
If reason hosted vsts, I'd be all over that shit.

abZ
Post from incydeoutIf reason hosted vsts, I'd be all over that shit.
Why the sequencer is shit.  Even if it did host vsts which btw will NEVER happen, I still wouldn't go back to it.  Ableton is way more intuitive.  Brought fun back to production for me.  If anything I might check out Logic once it is ported back to Windows.  

barrettwillbrb
Pro Tools is amazing for audio for film and foley/ADR work. Yusssssss

Dario
Post from abZNo that isn't true, none of the mastering houses I know use Protools and you don't need any more of a computer to run it than the more popular DAW's.  It is the standard for tracking in recording studio's that is true but it us mostly due to the fact that it was established over 20 years ago.  20 years ago it was clearly superior to anything else for harddisk recording.  Originally it didn't even do midi.  That has been implemented in the last few years.  I know people that use it for DIY music production but from most accounts it is awkward for this purpose.  You can get started on protools for as little as 250 plus a laptop http://www.guitarcenter.com/Digidesign-Mbox-2-Micro-104772421-i1372894.gc  

The real reason not many people use it is because it has never been cracked.  
Well I meant the only places that I know that have it and use it are the places that do studio recording and mastering. Like if you wanted to lay down some vocals over your track, and went to a studio to record it, they are most likely going to have pro tools.

barrettwillbrb
Post from incydeoutIf reason hosted vsts, I'd be all over that shit.
If u really want to use Reason, you can just Rewire it to software that does support VSTs, such as Cubase.

Filcher
I use reason. It's the program I am comfortable with. I don't see it as crippling at all. I can use cubase and ableton live, But I have been working in Reason since 2.5. I can make it make whatever sound I want, and I can typically get there the fastest with it.

It's all about the program you are comfortable with.

RIP Nerve Agent Recordings.
ThaJokerWild
well im a big protools user and i use m-powered (the cheap one) and i went to the conservatory of recording arts and sciences and after reading your posts your all right to a degree protools is definitely an engineers daw and being the best is arguable but it is my favorite. i also use logic 7 pro, acid pro, reason 4, frooty loops 8xxl, and audacity. different strokes for different folks ya know? every one have a preferd way to edit, mix, master, and just medd around....me i like'em all......but i love my protools

Tha Joker
EVILCYBORG
If you're recording a lot of outboard instruments / synths / drum machines, Pro Tools should be considered. I've never used it, but it handles latency and multi-instrument tracking very well. Apparently.

With Logic, I have to do a bit of latency/delay compensation when recording and also when I'm sending things out to hardware effects and back in to Logic. Honestly, it was a pain in the ass to get right, but I've got it sorted out now. If I was recording a band or using strictly hardware, I'd probably use pro tools.

There is a lot of hype around it though. That shit used to be the holy grail. I think the fact that they limit the audio interfaces you can use with it turns a lot of people off from giving it a whirl.

ThaJokerWild
logic on my end is the artists daw better than protools at composing beatmaking and general producing but to mix a whole track on it at a profecional level is really hard.most definitely any digi or m-audio interface in my opinion sux but the trick is rewire with another daw .

and the hype is for the ultra mega HD3 protools wich is like a giant fire that you can just stand there and throw money at to watch it grow

Tha Joker
incydeout
I really like the Malstrom in Reason, I don't think there's a synth that does everything as easily as it does in the vst realm. I get a kick out of Dr. Rex too. Plus, I like the idea of cables to show the routing... I just think it's fun. Once I got a glimpse of Absynth though, I switched right over to Cubase.

I used to ReWire, but it really just turned into more of a pain than anything. It eats up a ton of CPU and turns out to be way more complex than it needs to be. I hate having a ton of windows open all the time...

jskratch
Post from abZWhy the sequencer is shit.  Even if it did host vsts which btw will NEVER happen, I still wouldn't go back to it.  Ableton is way more intuitive.  Brought fun back to production for me.  If anything I might check out Logic once it is ported back to Windows.  

Agreed. Thought for sure when Reason 4 first came out alot of things would be different to rival Ableton... Not so much the case. Always been a Cubase dude when it comes to tracks but Ableton is mos def a great program... very flexible.

Main MessageBoard / Music Production & Mixing Techniques /
SITE LINKS
Marketing
About Us
Privacy
Legal
SITE HELP
Contact Us
FOLLOW US
Lolli.org on Facebook Facebook
Lolli.org on Twitter Twitter
Lolli.org RSS Feed RSS Feed
NAVIGATION
Events
Msgboard
Mixes (New)
Mixes (Top)
Music Genres

Marketing
Artists
Interviews & Articles
Photo Gallery
Contests
Who We Are

New Mixes Top Mixes Genres
Member Stats
Interviews and Articles Photo Gallery Contests Who We Are
My Messages My Pics My Events My Artists & Mixes Account Settings Customize Lolli Logout