Main MessageBoard / Music Production & Mixing Techniques /

crazyb
so i'm trying to figure out what this phrase matching is.  Apparently i could see it, and hear it but I wouldn't realize it.  what is this phrase matching i hear from here on lolli.org?

so asked around and got an idea, but i thought i would just go ahead and ask anyway but,

is it when the drums go smoothly into the next song, like carrying the beat, no obvious signs of a song breaking down before the next hits, is that phrase matching?
or is it?
when 2 songs lyrics go together where the first 2 measures in a stanza or whatever are one song, the the next 2 measures are the other song, and the lyrics can work off each other and never talk over each other
or is it?
when the songs lyrics end and the next songs lyrics hit, in a way they almost may sound like the same vocalist maybe or the same song.  

or is it all 3?
or what am i missing

thanks dudes

I dream of playing a sunrise set in front of all of you.
Shase
If your song is written in X/Y time signature, then learn to count to X*Y and integer multiples thereof and match your music on the 1.

Personally, when I'm djing, I think in blocks of 32 and match on the 1.  Depends on what you are playing obviously.

I'm not totally sure I understood your question, but this is what I consider "phrase matching."

crazyb
o well i guess ya, like 32 beats or 8 measures, 4 beats per measure.  I totally understand having the songs in synch, where to drop then and such.  that's easy.  i just thought that phrase matching was like how the songs would mix, like dropping it 8 measures earlier or later will obviously change the mix, but it's phrase matching when it achieves what i mentioned above??  

TBOT3001
16, 32, 64, 128, or even more depending on if your spinning progressive house.  depend on the genre and the tracks.  like breakcore sounds like shit when there is long mixes, but deep house sounds great wth long mixes.  also depend on how long your tracks are.  you dont want to mix a 4 minute track for 128 beats (or you might).  you can get your self into trouble.

crazyb
gotcha, so phrase matching is just having your tracks in cue, i mean by that numbered system, all songs are wrote that way in electronica.  ok i thought it was something completely different

TheScythian462
Post from TBOT300116, 32, 64, 128, or even more depending on if your spinning progressive house.  depend on the genre and the tracks.  like breakcore sounds like shit when there is long mixes, but deep house sounds great wth long mixes.  also depend on how long your tracks are.  you dont want to mix a 4 minute track for 128 beats (or you might).  you can get your self into trouble.
In regards to your statement about breakcore, not necessarily...

Long mixes can sound good in any genre.  Just have to make sure your key/pitch is in harmony or at least on the same page.

Breakcore is alot easier in that sense.

I could prove that, but you would have to listen to this or that.

Of course, I use ableton.  (sick of saying that myself, but it really can be kind of a different perspective on things).

Phrasing, from what I understand, is basically beats/measure etc. etc..  It's a term dj's use to try and avoid learning theory.  It almost seems like they make things more complicated that way.

crazyb
Post from TheScythian462In regards to your statement about breakcore, not necessarily...

Long mixes can sound good in any genre.  Just have to make sure your key/pitch is in harmony or at least on the same page.

Of course, I use ableton.  (sick of saying that myself, but it really can be kind of a different perspective on things).

Phrasing, from what I understand, is basically beats/measure etc. etc..  It's a term dj's use to try and avoid learning theory.  It almost seems like they make things more complicated that way.
haha seriously dude i was so confused,  much simpiler then i thought i thought it meant like a seamless mix, which is tough

TheScythian462
Post from crazybhaha seriously dude i was so confused,  much simpiler then i thought i thought it meant like a seamless mix, which is tough
Don't take my word for it man, someone will step in and tell me I'm an idiot sometime soon.  

doog
Premium Member
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phrase_%28music%29

TheScythian462
Ok that makes sense...

only with melodies of a very simple type,

So, for example, on orbitals brown album, generally over 8 or 16 measures, a change or new element would be added to the song.  Each one of those 8 or 16 measure sections would be considered a phrase, correct?

JodoKaast
Post from TheScythian462Ok that makes sense...

only with melodies of a very simple type,

So, for example, on orbitals brown album, generally over 8 or 16 measures, a change or new element would be added to the song.  Each one of those 8 or 16 measure sections would be considered a phrase, correct?
It really all depends. But generally, a phrase is the lowest common denominator of beats where elements change in a song. A particular section of a track is made up of multiples of those phrases.

You could say you're phrase matching as long you're tracks are matching in any phrase (both are on the first beat of a 16 or 32 beat repetition), but it still might not sound good. There are tracks where the high hats and such might change every 32 beats, but the bassline might change every 64 beats. So depending on how you're going to mix that with your next track, you would want to sync them both based on whenever one component you're focusing on drops out or changes in the track, bringing in the other track's corresponding element right on that phrase change, giving you a really smooth sounding mix.

But really, phrase matching is just a convenient way to remind yourself to listen for patterns and changes in those patterns, using them to really smooth out the mix from one track to another.

TBOT3001
Post from TheScythian462In regards to your statement about breakcore, not necessarily...

true that.  truthfully, im a breakcore noob so maybe my mixes just sound like sht.  lol

TheScythian462
Post from TBOT3001true that.  truthfully, im a breakcore noob so maybe my mixes just sound like sht.  lol
The thing with breakcore, at least the really off the wall crazy stuff (dev-null, xanopticon, even vsnares) is that those guys really know how to create an illusion of no real beat structure.  It's almost impossible to count beats with it, or set up any sort of system with this phrasing concept.  

There is very defined rhythmical structure though, no different from your four on the floor house/techno jam.

This is why I fell in love with djing in ableton.  Not to say there aren't djs out there who can cut this shit up on the standard ones and twos, but jumping back and forth, beat for beat on a mix between xano and the likes of richard devine, all the while, holding the mix and not tossing shoes in the dryer, can seriously melt your face off.

Main MessageBoard / Music Production & Mixing Techniques /
SITE LINKS
Marketing
About Us
Privacy
Legal
SITE HELP
Contact Us
FOLLOW US
Lolli.org on Facebook Facebook
Lolli.org on Twitter Twitter
Lolli.org RSS Feed RSS Feed
NAVIGATION
Events
Msgboard
Mixes (New)
Mixes (Top)
Music Genres

Marketing
Artists
Interviews & Articles
Photo Gallery
Contests
Who We Are

New Mixes Top Mixes Genres
Member Stats
Interviews and Articles Photo Gallery Contests Who We Are
My Messages My Pics My Events My Artists & Mixes Account Settings Customize Lolli Logout