Main MessageBoard / EPIC Threads /

1 2 3 4 5
LatentDelusion
What were the real rave days like?

What we observe as material bodies and forces are nothing but shapes and variations in the structure of space.
Shase
Post from LatentDelusionWhat were the real rave days like?
Why they were a magical place!  Everyone was happy and having fun all the time.  The music was always exactly what you wanted to hear because you were tapped into the collective conscious of the rave and everybody loved each other and all had the same hopes and desires for the community.  

Everybody went to parties to dance and have fun and if they did do drugs, it was very tastefully and excusable.  People didn't hate on other genres, but instead embraced them and appreciated the differences and would rejoice at a chance to hear them because they loved the variety that a rave had to offer.

KC
Post from ShaseWhy they were a magical place!  Everyone was happy and having fun all the time.  The music was always exactly what you wanted to hear because you were tapped into the collective conscious of the rave and everybody loved each other and all had the same hopes and desires for the community.  

Everybody went to parties to dance and have fun and if they did do drugs, it was very tastefully and excusable.  People didn't hate on other genres, but instead embraced them and appreciated the differences and would rejoice at a chance to hear them because they loved the variety that a rave had to offer.
this is probably the best description yet that i have heard of the old days. well said

Been fucking DJ Tranzit and his mom in the ass for years
Gunther
Post from SARAI think the old schoolers need to hold dance classes for the new schoolers.
We are all too old and jaded to do such a thing.

... unless we shuffle!

LOLLI
Post from ShaseWhy they were a magical place!  Everyone was happy and having fun all the time.  The music was always exactly what you wanted to hear because you were tapped into the collective conscious of the rave and everybody loved each other and all had the same hopes and desires for the community.  

Great description.  Atomic @ Metropol

tst
IWannaBeTheDj
Post from GuntherWe are all too old and jaded to do such a thing.

... unless we shuffle!
Which is one of the reasons why i think its not like "the good old days". Not granted i wasnt there back in the 01 days but i have been partying for about 5 years and i can deff tell a difference in just the... well vibe i guess a party has.

Things will never be like they were in the old days. And this is because the people from the old days arnt the same as they used to be. I see very few people (other then the newbies) that get excited about a different kind of music. The regulars and old heads know what they like and what they want and thats it. Also most of us are too jaded for the love everyone and everthing and dealio.  

So in short i guess what im saying is dont bitch about it not being the way it used to if your part of the reason why its not.

SARA
heck yes

SARA
Post from IWannaBeTheDjWhich is one of the reasons why i think its not like "the good old days". Not granted i wasnt there back in the 01 days but i have been partying for about 5 years and i can deff tell a difference in just the... well vibe i guess a party has.

Things will never be like they were in the old days. And this is because the people from the old days arnt the same as they used to be. I see very few people (other then the newbies) that get excited about a different kind of music. The regulars and old heads know what they like and what they want and thats it. Also most of us are too jaded for the love everyone and everthing and dealio.  

So in short i guess what im saying is dont bitch about it not being the way it used to if your part of the reason why its not.
It's 2010 (nearly), not 1995, not 1998, not 2000. Raves are fucking old. That's why things aren't like the "good old days"... because the good old days were when the phenomenon and the music was still fairly new. The people going to them were creating a culture, a culture that had a lot of unity because everyone was working together to create it.  

These parties have been going on for over 10 years now... People know what electronica is. People know what raves are. They aren't secret, they aren't exclusive... Its the same old same old. Its time for something to evolve... instead of these prepackaged events. Things will never be the same, the vibe is never going to be like it was.. and I don't have to be an old school raver to know that. People are trying to relive something that died out a long time ago and/or they weren't even around for to create.

I don't think its that the old heads aren't contributing enough, or putting a bad spin on things... it's just the "been there, done that" mentality. At least, that's how I see it.

MEZZANINE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EHf1NNbaW4

MEZZANINE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohD19bKkf8s&feature=related

.... go cha cha cha

rofl

IWannaBeTheDj
Post from SARAIt's 2010 (nearly), not 1995, not 1998, not 2000. Raves are fucking old. That's why things aren't like the "good old days"... because the good old days were when the phenomenon and the music was still fairly new. The people going to them were creating a culture, a culture that had a lot of unity because everyone was working together to create it.  

These parties have been going on for over 10 years now... People know what electronica is. People know what raves are. They aren't secret, they aren't exclusive... Its the same old same old. Its time for something to evolve... instead of these prepackaged events. Things will never be the same, the vibe is never going to be like it was.. and I don't have to be an old school raver to know that. People are trying to relive something that died out a long time ago and/or they weren't even around for to create.

I don't think its that the old heads aren't contributing enough, or putting a bad spin on things... it's just the "been there, done that" mentality. At least, that's how I see it.
Um good point, thanks for making a valid and intelligent argument lol.

I totally see where you are coming from with the whole been there done that feel but i dont think thats all of it. I still feel part of it is just being a lil jaded. I feel like no matter how awesome or new something is the old heads will go "yea thats sweet but not as good as the old days"

I think it has to do with the magic of your first few parties. I remember my first was deff a magical experience. Sure it was at a pretty cool venue but hardly  the best party ive been to. But non of them i have been to has ever been nearly as good. Its just the wonder and awe of being a noobie lol.

MEZZANINE
Post from IWannaBeTheDjUm good point, thanks for making a valid and intelligent argument lol.

I totally see where you are coming from with the whole been there done that feel but i dont think thats all of it. I still feel part of it is just being a lil jaded. I feel like no matter how awesome or new something is the old heads will go "yea thats sweet but not as good as the old days"

I think it has to do with the magic of your first few parties. I remember my first was deff a magical experience. Sure it was at a pretty cool venue but hardly  the best party ive been to. But non of them i have been to has ever been nearly as good. Its just the wonder and awe of being a noobie lol.
It can still be good... that magic is still there man, its just waitin' ! Don't let the nay-sayers fool ya :)

Nature
Premium Member
The magic is definitely still there you just have to open your eyes and mind to see it and feel it.

I've never met anyone ever that hated on someone for dancing no matter what they looked like. Its just about moving your body! Shake that ass, that sorta thing lol

A lot of people care too much what other people think and then they hold themselves back. Raves are about being open minded and just getting down and doing whatever the fuck you do! (with respect of yourself and others of course!)

-CN
djgraph
i have a friend out here who is the most awkward, non-rhythmic dancer ever... but he gets out on the floor and rages out.  it's fucking awesome and i love him for it.

just do what you feel, no one's gonna judge

i actually miss netic. w/e on all of you
SouthSideJoey
Yeah that is true. Dancing is dancing! I thought about my post before. It was a little harsh. Nobody should be judged by how they dance. I wasnt trying to sayt they should be. But kids dont seem to get into the say way. Thats what i meant by if more people dancing with that old rave groove to it then the newer kids could pick up on it.
Very true though...Better dancing then puddles so dance away kids

EricBliss
Post from NatureThe magic is definitely still there you just have to open your eyes and mind to see it and feel it.

I've never met anyone ever that hated on someone for dancing no matter what they looked like. Its just about moving your body! Shake that ass, that sorta thing lol

A lot of people care too much what other people think and then they hold themselves back. Raves are about being open minded and just getting down and doing whatever the fuck you do! (with respect of yourself and others of course!)
Be thankfull.  I totally just deleted a whole soon-to-be wall of bitchy Blisstext.  

I can't even have this conversation it upsets me too badly.

Check out some mixes!  Trance and breaks.  http://lolli.org/Artists/Eric-Bliss.aspx  and also www.deejay-mixes.com/Eric_Bliss
buterfligirl
Yay dancing. I try to get that in as often as possible. Seriously, without dancing, life would be a very dismal existence indeed.
There really isn't anything to dancing except closing your eyes, forgetting about everyone else around you, and letting the music saturate your soul. The movement is the result.
There should be an obligatory dance tax; if you rave you must dance for a certain percentage of the time.

duchess
Post from LOLLIIf hear something really banging, I dance.   I learned by watching other people dance.   Copy how other people are dancing to start and then change it some.
This.  & dark corners where no one could see you learnin'.  Lots & lots of dark corners!  OMG I loved that lil corner in the back of Laga, to the left of the bar cage!

It took me quite a while to come out of my "dancing shell" - a couple years I'd say, maybe 2001 - but I distinctly remember finding my confidence in Cleveland, at Metropolis & Peabody's!  <3
Once I got into it, man I used to dance so much I would be sore the next couple days!

Wandering Duchess :: www.lmunshower.com for my expat musings & travelogue, photos, fashion & girly art! <3
duchess
Post from LOLLIGreat description.  Atomic @ Metropol
THEY HAD PIZZA ROLLS THERE!!!!!!!!!!!!

win infinity.

(I mean at the original Atomic @ Metropol, the one that ended in like 1999 or 2000, not the one after Groove years...which lacked pizza rolls, UGH)

Wandering Duchess :: www.lmunshower.com for my expat musings & travelogue, photos, fashion & girly art! <3
LOLLI
Post from duchessTHEY HAD PIZZA ROLLS THERE!!!!!!!!!!!!

win infinity.

(I mean at the original Atomic @ Metropol, the one that ended in like 1999 or 2000, not the one after Groove years...which lacked pizza rolls, UGH)

haha yes!  They had a bunch of free food all the time?    I wish Metropol would open as a regular club again.

tst
LOLLI
Post from duchessThis.  & dark corners where no one could see you learnin'.  Lots & lots of dark corners!  OMG I loved that lil corner in the back of Laga, to the left of the bar cage!

It took me quite a while to come out of my "dancing shell" - a couple years I'd say, maybe 2001 - but I distinctly remember finding my confidence in Cleveland, at Metropolis & Peabody's!  <3
Once I got into it, man I used to dance so much I would be sore the next couple days!

Laga was awesome too.   The venue was huge and Twin Productions used to bring in some bangers.    We used to get really hooked up drinks at their bar too.

tst
spinfinity
i miss seeing breakdancers at parties.  

PDub
I used to interpret "raving" as dancing. we raved at home, we raved at toys r us, we raved at school. we raved in the car. we raved at completely random times.

sometimes I think the only difference between my first party 11 years ago and nowadays is the amount of people dancing. drugs? I think there were more back then, who are yinz kidding? its just that then, there actually was more to it, enough that if I were sober, I'd still dance for 10 hours straight and smile the whole time.

I took a friend to Quantum Leap last year. It was his first party since 2000. he says, "nobody is dancing. everyone looks angry and they keep asking me if I want K. rave is dead man"

rave, to me, is dead. I still have a good time at parties, but I'm not about to dance my ass off for the hell of it. I need to actually feel like dancing in order to bust a groove. there used to be breakdancers to watch, things thrown down onto the dancefloor, etc. the party centered around dancing. we often would show up and it said outside "dance party". and there was no sitting on the dancefloor either, you would get stomped.

I could say a lot more, but I think my jaded is showing. :X

"Music in the soul can be heard by the universe."
NCBST2002
"nobody is dancing. everyone looks angry and they keep asking me if I want K. rave is dead man"

On a shirt....I want this quote

CubanB

Dude, I hated on genres from day 1.

We just called it all "bad party music".   My friends and I would just sit on the floor and hope something better comes on.  If it wasnt good feeling or funky in my early days, then I didnt dance.  Im still the same way. At one point I acquired a taste for jungle though and I would dance my ass off to that stuff they played around 2000.   Bagel & Alaska!

btw, we'd always call the hardcore stage "the tweak room".    It seemed like only tweakers and people on 15-20 rolls would be in that room.  

What ever happened to Anabolic Frolic?

1 2 3 4 5

Main MessageBoard / EPIC Threads /
SITE LINKS
Marketing
About Us
Privacy
Legal
SITE HELP
Contact Us
FOLLOW US
Lolli.org on Facebook Facebook
Lolli.org on Twitter Twitter
Lolli.org RSS Feed RSS Feed
NAVIGATION
Events
Msgboard
Mixes (New)
Mixes (Top)
Music Genres

Marketing
Artists
Interviews & Articles
Photo Gallery
Contests
Who We Are

New Mixes Top Mixes Genres
Member Stats
Interviews and Articles Photo Gallery Contests Who We Are
My Messages My Pics My Events My Artists & Mixes Account Settings Customize Lolli Logout