Main MessageBoard / Music Production & Mixing Techniques /

1 2
abZ
Post from dooghaha I got it eventually.  Just saying, it is more complicated than it needs to be...
Yeah exactly it isn't like it is a difficult concept it is just all these little things add up to slowing down the work flow and thus disrupting the flow of creativity.  It isn't an issue for someone that has used the app for years and year but it was enough that those are programs I didn't want to switch to.

Gunther
Post from abZI was just talking to another producer the other day that said they like to rewire Reason to Cubase for ReDrum.  He said they like to link an eq and compressor to each channel then rewire directly.  You can do all that in Drumracks in ableton without having to hook up "wires" plus you can pick and choose your eq and comp via 3rd party plugs.  I really don't see the appeal with ReDrum.  When I switched to Ableton I quit Reason cold turkey.  It is still installed on my comp but I just don't see any reason to load it up.  
I think its partly because I was always a hardware user since I was like 17 (almost half my life) and redrum is just like using a 909. The other part is because I spent probably like 9000 hours building kits that I like. I just started using battery 3 and im still tweeking kicks and snares. Im already like 100 hours into it. I think once I get it where I want it I'd be done with redrum.

abZ
Post from GuntherI think its partly because I was always a hardware user since I was like 17 (almost half my life) and redrum is just like using a 909. The other part is because I spent probably like 9000 hours building kits that I like. I just started using battery 3 and im still tweeking kicks and snares. Im already like 100 hours into it. I think once I get it where I want it I'd be done with redrum.
Well that makes perfect sense.  I never build kits or have templates or anything like that.  I don't know why, I guess I just like a clean slate each time.  I am sure it does make things go quicker I just think for me things would get too routine.  

RELIC1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7m0bzKa966Y

fonz
More plugins-
Sonalksis bundle- eqs, compressors, gates, they rock seriously
Waves.  
I have these zeta virus plugins but i dunno all the sounds aren't working for me.  Anyone else use this?  I think im doing something wrong with the filters.  Only like 10 percent of the samples i load straight from the browser play on every plugin (virus polar etc.).  If its a bad version i would love a version that works.  The samples load up fine though probably user error.

Gunther
Post from fonzMore plugins-
Sonalksis bundle- eqs, compressors, gates, they rock seriously
Waves.  
I have these zeta virus plugins but i dunno all the sounds aren't working for me.  Anyone else use this?  I think im doing something wrong with the filters.  Only like 10 percent of the samples i load straight from the browser play on every plugin (virus polar etc.).  If its a bad version i would love a version that works.  The samples load up fine though probably user error.
what kind of sound are you looking for?

Personally Im a huge fan of Nexus. It would have to be my favorite. The mini moog is right up there with it.

As for the zeta virus plug in... it is a zeta preset?Skin? Have you tried the Vanguard Virus VST?

incydeout
Download NI Komplete and you should be good. As for sequencers, I'ma say you're golden with learning on Ableton - the first time you open it, it walks you through just about all of the basics, and it has really helpful help files (imagine that!) Personally, I like Cubase just because I know its ins and outs, no pun intended. When I try to make a track in live, everything just ends up feeling cluttered, I'm guessing because of the lack of moveable windows and such. To each his own, I suppose. I love to use it to jam out though. They all pretty much do the same thing though, just in different ways.

There are literally millons of plugins out there though, and it's easy to fill up your pc with them really quickly. So, I'd suggest only getting a few and learning how to use them really well (NI Komplete will cover the essentials - subtractive synth, sampler, drum machine, wavetable synthesis). ReFX Nexus is amazing, but it's limited to presets; you can't start from scratch and end up with some of the sounds that come out of it without switching presets. It's got some neat features though. Vanguard is similar but nowhere near as limited.

For the music you're into, you're going to want a sidechain compressor. Those things are probably my favorite part of producing music - besides synths of course.

Good luck!

fonz
Post from Guntherwhat kind of sound are you looking for?

Personally Im a huge fan of Nexus. It would have to be my favorite. The mini moog is right up there with it.

As for the zeta virus plug in... it is a zeta preset?Skin? Have you tried the Vanguard Virus VST?
All the zeta plugins I have aren't working..polar, TI, Red, Blue, black, they all have similar presets and only like 1 out of 20 will make a sound.
I have a few soundbanks i can load and most of them don't work either.  I haven't tried that vanguard ill take  a look at it.  
I've got the minimoog its alright i don't use it that much.  I have a couple korg plugins that are sweet.  I like TBL bassline.  Rob papen predator and blue are decent.  

Im just looking to create some neurofunk dirty basslines ala raiden, sinthetix, some virus and renegade hardware type shit.  Also some deep sinewave bass is always nice too.    

fonz
Basically i want noisia and evol intents knowledge uploaded into my brain.  What VST would work for that?

EVILCYBORG
Post from fonzBasically i want noisia and evol intents knowledge uploaded into my brain.  What VST would work for that?
I think it's more technique than plugin in most cases. However, for some mutated distorted ass synth sounds look into a plugin that will let you do wave shaping. It's like the opposite of filtering. You can input a sine or triangle and it's shaped into a saw. Cool shit. Especially cool for nasty distorted sounds.

fonz
Post from EVILCYBORGI think it's more technique than plugin in most cases. However, for some mutated distorted ass synth sounds look into a plugin that will let you do wave shaping. It's like the opposite of filtering. You can input a sine or triangle and it's shaped into a saw. Cool shit. Especially cool for nasty distorted sounds.
Yeah I've realized that but some plugins have presets that are close to what Im looking for that require some minimal tweaking instead of building the sound myself.  
A lot of times I won't take it one step at a time and lose what im going for and have to backtrack too much shit that I've changed ya know?  Then Ill have to start all over again.  Until Im a little better with that i'd like to use some plugins that make it easier for me.  

This gives me a chance to work on other things because focusing too much time on one aspect, in this case synths, will aggrivate me to the point where I put it down.
Of course as I'm honing my craft all this is getting easier and it is something I need to learn.

Gunther
Post from fonzYeah I've realized that but some plugins have presets that are close to what Im looking for that require some minimal tweaking instead of building the sound myself.  
A lot of times I won't take it one step at a time and lose what im going for and have to backtrack too much shit that I've changed ya know?  Then Ill have to start all over again.  Until Im a little better with that i'd like to use some plugins that make it easier for me.  

This gives me a chance to work on other things because focusing too much time on one aspect, in this case synths, will aggrivate me to the point where I put it down.
Of course as I'm honing my craft all this is getting easier and it is something I need to learn.
Have you tried the Itchy Synths for drum and bass? They are free and have such a full low end.

Also... you'd be surprised how many drum and bass producers use fruity loops

fonz
Post from GuntherHave you tried the Itchy Synths for drum and bass? They are free and have such a full low end.

Also... you'd be surprised how many drum and bass producers use fruity loops
I'll check them out.  
I don't hate on fl at all I know folks that use it.

I know it takes a long time even for seasoned producers to make tracks so I just need to learn what I've got and keep working with it.
I was reading Noisias Grid interview on DOA they were saying they'd spend 3 or 4 weeks working on just their mids for some tracks.  

louieb
Their are alot of free vst and effect plugins out their. Honestly i would search forums and search google. I honestly have not bought any of my plugins soft synths ect but the first one i plan on buying is massive since i have heard good things about it.

fonz
I got some sick shit cranking out of reason now.  Its what I was looking for.  I took some of the filter settings and configs using the thor out of a youtube tutorial but pretty much after I got the basic sound it was just a lot of fine tuning and messing around.

Moire
Post from EVILCYBORGI think it's more technique than plugin in most cases. However, for some mutated distorted ass synth sounds look into a plugin that will let you do wave shaping. It's like the opposite of filtering. You can input a sine or triangle and it's shaped into a saw. Cool shit. Especially cool for nasty distorted sounds.
Doesn't Operator do this? (In Ableton) Or is there a better 'device' out there?

1 2

Main MessageBoard / Music Production & Mixing Techniques /
SITE LINKS
Marketing
About Us
Privacy
Legal
SITE HELP
Contact Us
FOLLOW US
Lolli.org on Facebook Facebook
Lolli.org on Twitter Twitter
Lolli.org RSS Feed RSS Feed
NAVIGATION
Events
Msgboard
Mixes (New)
Mixes (Top)
Music Genres

Marketing
Artists
Interviews & Articles
Photo Gallery
Contests
Who We Are

New Mixes Top Mixes Genres
Member Stats
Interviews and Articles Photo Gallery Contests Who We Are
My Messages My Pics My Events My Artists & Mixes Account Settings Customize Lolli Logout