Main MessageBoard / Music Production & Mixing Techniques /

1 2 3 4 5
CUTUPS
cutups, in the second picture, what are you using to store your records?

are those cardboard boxes?

They're wooden boxes.   They are meant to be part of a modular system,
but i never hammer them together, just stack them.

SHOWS >> 1.20 BASS THERAPY w/ Cutups, Keeb$ + @ Levels Southside | 1.27 MUSTARD PIMP @ Altar Bar | 2.2 LAZERCRUNK w/ Thunder St. Clair & Tracksploitation @ Brillobox | 2.4 ILLUSIONS w/ Mascara & Rivka @ Cattivo
abZ
Post from EVILCYBORGWhat's up with rocking those monitors sideways? Because they're up so high maybe?
I think it is a strange vantage point.  It looks like they are really high up but maybe they aren't as high as they look?  If anything I would have them upside down.  There is no advantage to having them that way.  Near field monitors and designed to be listened to in a specific area.  The Tweeters should be level with your ears and then triangulated, an equilateral triangle with one point being your head and the other 2 each of your monitors.  In my set up I have two computer monitors so the speakers a farther apart than I would like but if I slide my chair back about 2 feet, it is the perfect spot.  Of course with mixing records none of this really matters because getting an ideal reference isn't crucial you just need to be able to hear it.

Bored.

shadowstarr
Post from EVILCYBORGWhat's up with rocking those monitors sideways? Because they're up so high maybe?
yeah, the speakers are up pretty high...a little bit above my ear level actually.  thats the only reason

whats this?
beatpoet
My setup and records...

2 Technics 1200 MK2
2 Shure M44-7 Needles
Pioneer DJM-500 Mixer
Sony MDR-V700 Headphones
Thinkpad R61i with 2GB of RAM
MixVibes with U46MKII interface
Tascam US-122 Audio/MIDI interface
M-Audio Evolution MK-425c USB MIDI controller

EVILCYBORG

Ugh:

Hackintosh
Macbook (with traktor)
Logic Pro
Echo Audiofire 2
Alto Mixer
Numark Mixer
Numark omni control
Old as shit Gemini Turntable (that I can match a beat on with no problems)
Pair of Samson Rubicon R8a's
Records here and there

esbeekay
some nice setups itt

abZ
Oh you got the Samson's man nice.  How you liking them so far?

EVILCYBORG
So far so good. Still getting used to them, but I like em more everyday. you can really crank them and still sound crisp. I kinda took a risk on the whole ribbon tweeter thing, but I'm happy with them. They have an adjustment knob to turn them up if need be (the tweeter) but they seem the most accurate without any boost.

They could use a sub though since they are only rated to 40hz. I'm getting used to how it should sound for the sub bass under 40 or so, but a small sub would make this setup perfect. However, I've heard that a sub is a bitch to set up.

abZ
Post from EVILCYBORGSo far so good. Still getting used to them, but I like em more everyday. you can really crank them and still sound crisp. I kinda took a risk on the whole ribbon tweeter thing, but I'm happy with them. They have an adjustment knob to turn them up if need be (the tweeter) but they seem the most accurate without any boost.

They could use a sub though since they are only rated to 40hz. I'm getting used to how it should sound for the sub bass under 40 or so, but a small sub would make this setup perfect. However, I've heard that a sub is a bitch to set up.
40hz is pretty good for a set of monitors imo.  You don't need a sub.  I have a shitty sub hooked up to my set up.  Well it isn't shitty but it isn't ideal for a studio set up either but I was putting too much sub in my tunes so I have it on to force myself to keep the level lower plus it is nice to be able to feel it.  It is like working with headphones, you can hear the bass but it is so artificial because you can't feel it.  As far as the ribbon tweeter, seems like that is the way to go these days, they are really fast and accurate, I don't know how well they hold up tho.  

adonis
2 technics 1200 mk2's black
Rane Empath mixer 3 channel ~pure analog~ my baby!

2 pioneer cdj100s's
stanton 505 needles
For now just one monitor, its a Yorkville, got a 15" and a horn on it. Powered by a toa commercial amp. Guess I could use my behringer ultrawave B300's but they get pretty loud for my basement. Will take some pics soon...

(bigB sound,NPP sound, FULL HOUSE)
abZ
Post from adonis2 technics 1200 mk2's black
Rane Empath mixer 3 channel ~pure analog~ my baby!

2 pioneer cdj100s's
stanton 505 needles
For now just one monitor, its a Yorkville, got a 15" and a horn on it. Powered by a toa commercial amp. Guess I could use my behringer ultrawave B300's but they get pretty loud for my basement. Will take some pics soon...
Yeah I played on that one time downtown I was pretty impressed!  If I had the money and my Vestax wasn't still kicking strong after 7 years, I'd get one.  I am a digital guy but still a firm believer in analog mixers, the less conversions you need to make the better.  

adonis
Post from abZYeah I played on that one time downtown I was pretty impressed!  If I had the money and my Vestax wasn't still kicking strong after 7 years, I'd get one.  I am a digital guy but still a firm believer in analog mixers, the less conversions you need to make the better.  
The first rane i played on was at the Hkan at trainwreck tuesday when the 45thieves had theirs set up. I fell in love and vowed to buy one someday. tax time came around and the refund was just right.

the rane 3 band eq's are half as sensitive as the pioneer mixers and at "0" cut out completely. this allows for more precise control. the faders are the same magnetic faders as allen&heath.

i believe the vestax's are twice as sensitive as the pioneers...or at least one i played on in the past. 24db vs 12db vs 6db on the rane.

less conversions is totally better...there's got to be some lag in there or temporary loss of quality with digital mixers...especially cheap ones- the behringer 4 channel has a noticeable delay in eq adjustment.

abZ
Post from adonisThe first rane i played on was at the Hkan at trainwreck tuesday when the 45thieves had theirs set up. I fell in love and vowed to buy one someday. tax time came around and the refund was just right.

the rane 3 band eq's are half as sensitive as the pioneer mixers and at "0" cut out completely. this allows for more precise control. the faders are the same magnetic faders as allen&heath.

i believe the vestax's are twice as sensitive as the pioneers...or at least one i played on in the past. 24db vs 12db vs 6db on the rane.

less conversions is totally better...there's got to be some lag in there or temporary loss of quality with digital mixers...especially cheap ones- the behringer 4 channel has a noticeable delay in eq adjustment.

I have the pmc07 it has the sliders instead of knobs.  When I got it I sdidn't like it because I wasn't used to it but now I love them.  I can do real quick cuts like when another baseline is coming in or whatever.  All in all though I really don't do that much eqing.

adonis
thats a cool mixer. that reminds me that sliders can be knobs and vise versa....the only rotary mixer i ever played on was the rane at pegasus, its a 19in rackmounted that comes in 2 parts (seems like one mixer for the price of 2) they are fun too and pretty smooth once you get the hang of it.

abZ
There is a reason you don't see pics of my studio up in here lol  I agree with you.  When I am up in the studio, it is tune time.  Not time to mess around redding up!

Oh I know Evil Cyborg there just moved into that place.  I see nowhere where a piece of equipment has been forced through a wall or anything, no meaningful music has been made there yet surely.

EVILCYBORG
I almost threw my xbox controller through the wall yesterday (playing Tiger Woods of all things), does that count? lol

I need to keep it tidy for when I move in my moog voyager (I wish).

incydeout
Post from abZThere is a reason you don't see pics of my studio up in here lol  I agree with you.  When I am up in the studio, it is tune time.  Not time to mess around redding up!

Oh I know Evil Cyborg there just moved into that place.  I see nowhere where a piece of equipment has been forced through a wall or anything, no meaningful music has been made there yet surely.

lol *tosses virus through window*

abZ
Post from incydeoutlol *tosses virus through window*
You guys would probably cry if you saw my Nord Lead in pieces lolol.  Modern softsynths kill the Nords and Viruses anyway imo.

incydeout
Post from abZYou guys would probably cry if you saw my Nord Lead in pieces lolol.  Modern softsynths kill the Nords and Viruses anyway imo.

*removes virus pieces from lawn* .... *shoves laptop through drywall*

TheScythian462
I still don't take myself to seriously as a DJ, but my current studio setup is seen in the following picture...unconventional, but functional...

abZ
Post from TheScythian462I still don't take myself to seriously as a DJ, but my current studio setup is seen in the following picture...unconventional, but functional...

ROTFL, that is a REAL set up right there even looks like you tried to photoshop out a pile of shit, rotting sammich or cum towel eeheehee.  Seriously tho, what are you trying to hide there?

By the way Scyth, did ya submit a tune for the lolli mix yet?

esbeekay
Post from abZROTFL, that is a REAL set up right there even looks like you tried to photoshop out a pile of shit, rotting sammich or cum towel eeheehee.  Seriously tho, what are you trying to hide there?

was just gonna ask the same thing lol

wouldnt it have been easier to just move whatever it was before you took the pic? lol

TheScythian462
Post from abZROTFL, that is a REAL set up right there even looks like you tried to photoshop out a pile of shit, rotting sammich or cum towel eeheehee.  Seriously tho, what are you trying to hide there?

Awww geezzz...busted.  I tried to photoshop it, because I was under the impression I could get away with it, and avoid the "is that jizz/shit/blah blah blah".  It's actually the most frequent place for spillage of alcohol, coffee, ashtrays etc. etc.

I'm actually quite a cleanly "self-pleaser".  Learned my lesson the hard way though, when I had to bust out a steam cleaner on an old apartment of mine.  Girl could have gotten pregnant just walking through the door.

No tunes for ya though, sorry man.  Past year or so, I've just been trying to learn some things and take my time with stuff.

theevasion
a pair of technic 1200 MK5
pioneer DJM 909
Serato

Gunther
I dont have a camera to take a pic of the set up here but this is what we are running.

Joey feel free to add if I forgot anything.

2 Tech 1200 mk2's
2 Tech 1200 md3's
2 Pioneer CDJ 100's
Rane TTM 56 S
Vestax pcv 275
2 Serato sl1 set ups
Roland CDX
2 bose bi directional
3 technics 12"
2 sony 6"
1 sub (not sure brand)
about a ton of vinyl... srsly at least 2000 lbs worth if not more.

Production is set up to plug laptops in and play
extra 22" wide screen moniter to run duel screens
Novation remote 25 LE

Software
Abelton 7 and 8
Cubase 3 and 4
Reason 4
Acid Pro 7
Soundforge 8

1 2 3 4 5

Main MessageBoard / Music Production & Mixing Techniques /
SITE LINKS
Marketing
About Us
Privacy
Legal
SITE HELP
Contact Us
FOLLOW US
Lolli.org on Facebook Facebook
Lolli.org on Twitter Twitter
Lolli.org RSS Feed RSS Feed
NAVIGATION
Events
Msgboard
Mixes (New)
Mixes (Top)
Music Genres

Marketing
Artists
Interviews & Articles
Photo Gallery
Contests
Who We Are

New Mixes Top Mixes Genres
Member Stats
Interviews and Articles Photo Gallery Contests Who We Are
My Messages My Pics My Events My Artists & Mixes Account Settings Customize Lolli Logout