1 2 3 4 5
esbeekay
this gets better and better, truly an amazing thread

so whos gonna book 2rip to play an 8 hour history of electronic music set lol

Snugz
Post from esbeekaythis gets better and better, truly an amazing thread

^^ i fully support that idea.  

this thread has kept me fully intrigued.  that IS really funny about jacking.  i thought it was something like liquid or popping & locking.

poptart
Post from esbeekaythis gets better and better, truly an amazing thread

I second this.

that would be fucking phenomenal and something that no one in their right mind should miss...

hmm...

"And if I was a ghost and came back when u smoked me id rape u" -Flatbed
2rip
Premium Member
Post from poptartI second this.

that would be fucking phenomenal and something that no one in their right mind should miss...

hmm...

ha.  i'd actually be willing to try something like this.  gonna see what the odds are somewhere but i think 8 hours might be a little much.  maybe some z:lounge goodness on one of these weekends that i'm in town but not booked?  seriously if there's interest i'll be all over setting it up.  otherwise i'll just continue to come back and get drunk with everyone as always.  

www.myspace.com/dj2rip | www.districtignition.com | www.clubglow.com
pablo814
Premium Member
I'd come down for that....

"Honey, I want to do something, we never do anything!" "We are doing something. I'm watching the game and eating a sandwich, and you are making me another sandwich!"
Elektrykah
I would def come up for that! Haven't been on Lolli for a min so I'm just now downloading the "newer" ones posted. Loved the ones I've heard tho....

2rip
Premium Member
Ha.  I caught some shit on another forum for not having delved deep enough and covering the space music that was produced in the 60's and also for making no mention of ambient.  Looks like I'm gonna have to really take this project to the next level.  I'm really anticipating diving into the 1996-1999 era.  I guess I still have about 15 more episodes to work with.  Hope everyone is staying intrigued so far!

2rip
Premium Member
Episode #9: Rise Up

DOWNLOAD: http://2rip.podomatic.com/enclosure/2008-09-21T19_18_47-07_00.mp3

PODCAST: http://2rip.podomatic.com

There was several parts of the house music history that were integral to the development of the culture but not yet discussed in this series. This episode is geared towards covering some early Chicago house records as well as some early Chicago acid house. The final portion of this episode features many Balearic-style beats that were popular in Ibiza around the time of Paul Oakenfold & Nicky Holloway's famous trip to Amnesia.

In 1983 Jamie Principle released "Your Love" to a reel-to-reel cassette. To this day the original track is still unreleased although many bootlegs exist. Marshall Jefferson recalls in an interview on Pump Up The Volume "We thought Jamie was a god. We had no idea this was just some kid making music in his basement. I thought Jamie Principle was some millionaire from the UK. I didn't even know he was black!"

Larry Heard aka Mr. Fingers produced "Can You Feel It" in 1986. His sound was noted for it's warm production style and soulful vocals that helped lead the way for the sub-genre of deep house to emerge.

When Earl Smith and DJ Pierre purchased a Roland 303 bassline machine in 1984 the unit did not come with a manual or directions. Once they plugged it in the machine was preset to a strange sound. It was making a high pitched squelching noise. DJ Pierre played with the knobs on the machine to manipulate the sound. Earl Smith added drums and they sequenced it to reel-to-reel, titling it "Acid Tracks." This tape was given to Ron Hardy before the Music Box had even opened. On opening night Ron Hardy played the track and it immediately cleared the dancefloor. However, Hardy was persistent and played it again with only a few people really paying attention to it. He tried a third time later in the night and it was becoming accepted. On the fourth try the crowd went insane and the record became a hit.

In 1987 Michael James, a friend of Derrick May, recorded a ballad in Derrick's studio. After Michael James left the studio Derrick May looped a part of this ballad and added drums to create "Strings Of Life." This track reached anthem status in 1989 and put Detroit techno on the map, paving the way for even more successes to come.

Jamie Principle - Your Love
Mr. Fingers - Can You Feel It
Kevin Irving - Children Of The Night
Phuture - Acid Trax
Farley Jackmaster Funk - The Acid Life
Bam Bam - Where's Your Child?
Fast Eddie - Acid Thunder
TOT - What U R
The Garden Of Eden - Garden Of Eden (7" Mix)
A Guy Called Gerald - Voodoo Ray
Yazoo - Situation
Corporation of One - Real Life
Sueno Latino - Sueno Latino
Marshall Jefferson - Open Our Eyes
Rhythm is Rhythm aka Derrick May - Strings Of Life
Ce Ce Rogers - Someday

2rip
Premium Member
Episode #10: Freedom 2 Dance

DOWNLOAD: http://2rip.podomatic.com/enclosure/2008-09-28T21_15_24-07_00.mp3

SCOPE OUT MY PODCAST: http://2rip.podomatic.com/

Inspired by productions such as "Can You Feel It?" by Larry Heard aka Mr. Fingers, deep house emerged from Chicago around the year of 1988. Producers such as Masters At Work and DJ Pierre helped define the genre leading up the 90's. Deep house tracks had a slightly dissonant feel as the jazz elements in many of it's tracks were brought out by using more complex chord structures than previous house music songs.

At the start of the 90's there was much more happening all around the country, particularly in the New England & Mid-Atlantic region spanning from Boston to New York to Washington, DC and also Pittsburgh. The sounds of hardcore had ripped through all of suburban America. In New York Frankie Bones was pushing Storm Raves which had their final party in 1992. In Pittsburgh in 1991, a shop called Turbo Zen was opened by Joel Bevacqua aka Deadly Buda. Turbo Zen kicked the Pittsburgh rave scene into high gear with the production of Power Rave in 1992 which featured Richie Hawtin, John Acquaviva & Adam X.

Across the Mississippi a man named Kurt Eckes was pioneering the hardcore sound into massive rave productions. Hardcore was a perfect taste for Milwaukee as the town had an insatiable taste for heavy metal, from thrash to death. The promotion headed by Eckes was known as the Drop Bass Network. In Milwaukee it was not rare to see ravers dancing under giant goat heads and pentagrams. People in this area found rave music's most popular drug ecstacy to be "too soft." The drug of choice in Milwaukee was LSD.

With the passing of the Summer of Love, the rise of hardcore and the spawn of the American rave scene there were plenty of people trying to find the style that suited them. Many of the house and techno heads continued to stick to those genres because it was what they knew electronic dance music to be. Groups of New York, San Francisco, and Chicago house music producers continued to either beef up or tone down their productions. During this time artists like Mark Farina continued to provide warmer, more ambient and jazzy sounding melodies as the deep house music scene flourished.

This podcast introduces several deep house tunes from 1991 through 1994. We will embellish on house music and it's role in the rave scene in the coming episodes.

Mystic Phases - Don't You Feel It
Angel Moraes - I Like It feat. Octavia Lamber
Suburban Soul - Do My Thing
Balance - The Dance (Off Da Beat Dub)
Funky Green Dogs - Reach For Me (De Dum Dub)
Mark Walker & Joe Issa - Better Place
Enrico Mantini - Kill & Go
Enrico Mantini - Everday & Night
Bass is Base - The Spirit feat. Syndicate
Last Americas - Look Listen Love (Robotman Mix)
Nick Jones & Acei Carter - Shake It
K.E.L.S.E.Y. - This Way (Deep Mix)
Joey Negro - Feel It

BOINGTHUMP
Premium Member
If you ever stop doing this i will kill you.

Also some things just shouldnt be shared with the general population...or even on a message board...definately not here on Lolli.
pablo814
Premium Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdJGcrUk2eE&feature=related

"Honey, I want to do something, we never do anything!" "We are doing something. I'm watching the game and eating a sandwich, and you are making me another sandwich!"
BOINGTHUMP
Premium Member
Where is the next part?

Also some things just shouldnt be shared with the general population...or even on a message board...definately not here on Lolli.
2rip
Premium Member
Episode #11: Raveworld

DOWNLOAD: http://2rip.podomatic.com/enclosure/2008-10-13T15_53_27-07_00.mp3

PODCAST: http://www.2rip.podomatic.com/

The Cleveland rave culture was inspired by a college radio dj from station WRUW named Stevie T. In 1992, he along with DJs Lars Fischer, Mike Filly, and Rob Bertrand attempted their first rave together. Unfortunately it was busted by the police before it even started. Soon after Mike Filly teamed up with DJ Rob Sherwood to form Tone Deaf and Color Blind Productions. In June of 1992 these companies together hosted TIDAL RAVE featuring a live performance by 2 Unlimited. Their second event, KOOLAID in July of 1992 featured F.U.S.E. as well as Joey Beltram & Richie Hawtin. KOOLAID took place in a warehouse near East 4th St & Prospect. In June of 1992 a promoter named Jimmie Allen hosted A MIDSUMMER'S NIGHT with headliner Sleepy C in Akron, OH.

In 1993 Joe Lesesne began the PB-CLE (Pittsburgh-Cleveland) mailing list. This list grew exponentially and moved to what is now hyperreal.org in the fall of 1995.

Rewind a few years back and you have what may very well be the start of the Washington, DC rave scene. Giovanni Baez can be accredited to being one of the first East Coast rave promoters, throwing parties known as Catastrophic. In 1990 Scott Henry, Tony Japzon & Charles Fields produced a party called Orbit. The first Fever event was hosted at the Paradox in 1992.

Far away from the East Coast, in Salt Lake City UT, a man named Pete Ashdown along with partner John Webster had begun importing acid house to Utah. The first party was set to go off when the venue owner cancelled the arrangement. Several months and several venue issues & cancellations later Ashdown & Webster hosted "Rave 1 - Utah's First Rave." The party pulled roughly 120 people and was a mix of ravers and non-ravers. Ashdown dj'ed the whole night while his partner ran the door. He and Webster hosted two more follow-up parties in Salt Lake City while the next wave of events were hosted by a DJ named Chris Sick along with support from his girlfriend Jodi Nielsen. In 2006 Pete Ashdown ran for the Utah Senate election against incumbent Orrin Hatch.

In 1992, Speedy J a Dutch techno producer broke through with a release on Richie Hawtin's & John Acquaviva's Plus 8 record label known as Pullover. Kenny Larkin who also released an influential track on Plus 8 has been described as "massively influential" on producers all over the globe.

This podcast encompasses various shades of techno from both the United States in Detroit to European techno and widely know and resampled tracks such as Moby's "Go."

Speedy J - Flashback
Psyance - Motion
FUSE - Technotropic
Moby - Go
Kenny Larkin - We Shall Overcome
Fellows - Last Laugh
Moby - Drug Fits The Face
Biosphere - Fairy Tale
Hardfloor - AM Trip
Sven Vath - Barbarella
Da Sampla - With A Piece of Ice
Acid Jesus - Move My Body
Underground Resistance - Nocturbulous
Robert Armani - Circus Bells

pablo814
Premium Member
so there i where i posted that.... DOH!

FAIL!

and Chad, keep up the good work! Maybe a lil history of the socal/az scene?

2rip
Premium Member
Post from pablo814so there i where i posted that.... DOH!

FAIL!

and Chad, keep up the good work! Maybe a lil history of the socal/az scene?
Socal & AZ... I was literally JUST thinking about that.  I used to DJ in Arizona about a decade ago... there was The Ice House (still exists?) and Subfonik Records.  Going to do a bit of fact finding and try to include that within the next three  podcasts somewhere.

pablo814
Premium Member
So u went out there when I moved here.

I went to H.S. with acid/techno DJ Matt McCoy's lil brother David.

Human
FINALLY got around to downloading the epicness! Thanks for all the hard work on this Chad. I'll be posting in the next couple of weeks as I will be stuck @ my computer listening to the mixes and reading the commentary. Thanks again, dude.

Strong work!

Frankie Bones is the suck you've been looking for
2rip
Premium Member
Post from pablo814So u went out there when I moved here.

I went to H.S. with acid/techno DJ Matt McCoy's lil brother David.
I'm gonna really have to dig up some people on this... Did you remember a breaks dj named Louder from AZ?  He & I did a battle set the last time I was there... I think we actually played a rave that was hosted on a golf course just outside of Prescott.

2rip
Premium Member
Episode #12: Perception

DOWNLOAD: http://2rip.podomatic.com/enclosure/2008-10-14T11_02_35-07_00.mp3

As stated in Wikipedia the term "electronica" encompasses a wide range of contemporary electronic music. The music is designed for a wide range of uses which can include foreground listening, some forms of dancing, and also background music.

Electronica soon became a catch-all phrase for ambient, chill-out, downtempo, downbeat, and any abstract forms of electronic music. The focus on songs, a fusion of styles, and combination of traditional along with electronic instruments often sets electronica apart from straight ahead styles like house, techno and trance.

In 1991 Autechre released their first single titled "Cavity Job" but did not release a full album until 1993. In 1989 Moby signed a contract with Instinct Records and releaed "Go" which reached the UK Top 10 in 1991. In 1992 Aphex Twin released his first album "Selected Ambient Works 85-92" which came out on R&S Records, the same label that released Beltram's Energy Flash.

In the rave scene the earliest mentioned chillout room was at Konspiracy in Manchester, UK. In chill rooms people would often find couches accompanied with dim lighting and projectors with trippy images displayed. This culture carried over into the United States as well as raves and nightclubs around the world. Every chill room had it's own personality, some better than others. The Higher Intelligence Agency helped lift chillout music from the side stage to the main stage with their Oscillate parties in Birmingham.

In 1994 Sonic Soul Productions hosted their first chill-out event in Baltimore, MD. This event led to the series of "Cloudwatch" parties. In 1997 a compilation was released under the Sonic Soul label featuring artists such as Steve Roach, DJ Spooky, and DJ Who.

Eric Idle & Richard Wilson - One Foot In The Grave (Wireless Mix)
Mark Van Hoen - Battery Ending
Control X - Ambient 4
LFO - El Ef Oh
Aphex Twin - Shiny Metal Rods
Moby - Bad Days
Beaumont Hannant - Utuba
Autechre - Chatter
F.U.S.E. - Slac
Control X - Babylon
Plastikman - Plastique

poptart
^^^thank you, thank you^^^

"And if I was a ghost and came back when u smoked me id rape u" -Flatbed
2rip
Premium Member
Post from poptart^^^thank you, thank you^^^
That last mix is actually pretty insane... and I'm not saying that to toot my horn.  When I made the thing it was "just a mix" but I broke it out over the weekend at a private event I had...  pardon for talking about this publicly but it was mandatory for attendees to candyflip.  holy fuck... listening to that mix in the chillout area hit the spot.  i was like "did i put this together??  and did i ever think that it would have this effect on people?"  

JohnWayne
Premium Member
Post from 2ripThat last mix is actually pretty insane... and I'm not saying that to toot my horn.  When I made the thing it was "just a mix" but I broke it out over the weekend at a private event I had...  pardon for talking about this publicly but it was mandatory for attendees to candyflip.  holy fuck... listening to that mix in the chillout area hit the spot.  i was like "did i put this together??  and did i ever think that it would have this effect on people?"  
Nice one 2rip. And how do I make his name yellow? thx.

2rip
Premium Member
Episode #13: Arcadia [1993]

DOWNLOAD: http://2rip.podomatic.com/enclosure/2008-10-26T13_52_43-07_00.mp3

In 1991 Chris & James Griffin started a small dance party in Cheltenham UK. This night eventually became known as Trance. Chris & James soon decided to part ways to hold their own individual parties. Chris formed Perception while James went on to organize Fantazia. New Years of 1992/1993 was the 6th Fantazia event and possibly their largest, with an attendance of 16,000.

In 1992 Jaydee aka DJ Robin Albers released the classic hit called 'Plastic Dreams' on R&S Records. The track hit #1 on the US Billboard's Hot Dance Music/Club Play chart.

With an idea originally conceived by Eddie Gordon, DJ Pete Tong began hosting the Essential Mix. The first broadcast hit the air on October 30, 1993. While The Essential Mix was usually pre-recorded and played via studio there were also live versions of the show that branched from venues in the UK to other areas such as Ibiza, North America, Germany, and South Africa.

While it was always accepted that Age of Love was the first trance tune ever pressed, Dance 2 Trance was considered to have released the second trance pressing ever titled "We Came In Peace." Progressive trance became a popular sub-genre which contains elements of house, techno and ambient music while trance focused more on anthemic qualities and melodies, moving away from arpeggiated analog synth patterns. Compared to the classic definition of trance, the progressive subgenre was deeper and more abstract, however continued to maintain the three typical structure elements of build-up, climax & breakdown. Meanwhile uplifting and epic trance took their buildups and breakdowns to an exagerrated point.

The genre immediately began to rise in popularity, finding it's niche in being 'edgier' than house, more soothing than drum & bass, and more melodic than techno.

This podcast demonstrates again the rise of trance in a compilation of very popular songs from 1993. Next week we will look again at "progressive" dance music as we begin to move into 1994, prior to returning to the house and techno sounds of the mid 1990s.

Jaydee - Plastic Dreams
With It Guys - Let The Music Take Control
Strategy - High Energy
Sourmash - Pilgrimage To Paradise (Barrel Beat Mix)
Nico - Darkstar
Jagga - Finito
Golden Girls - Kinetic (Frank De Wulf Remix)
Humate - Love Stimulation

2rip
Premium Member
Episode #14: Turn It Up

DOWNLOAD: http://2rip.podomatic.com/enclosure/2008-10-26T18_18_41-07_00.mp3

In 1994 Armand Van Helden released his first major track titled “Witch Doktor” which made it to the top 5 list on the Billboard Hot Dance chart. On the other hand Erick Morillo was continuing to pump out classic tracks. He had first gained speed with his productions under the pseudonyms Reel 2 Reel, RAW, and Lil’ Mo Ying Yang. In 1994 he produced “I Like To Move It” under the Reel 2 Reel name which hit #1 on the Billboard Club Play chart. He immediately began traveling the world to play gigs, eventually becoming a millionaire. The song was used in television as well as in the 2005 Dreamworks film “Madagascar.”

In the early nineties Danny Tenaglia first began remixing music. One of his earliest remixes was of Right Said Fred’s tune “I’m Too Sexy” which was released in 1991. In 1993 he released a remix of Jamiroquai’s “Scortching the Planet Earth.” In 1994 he remixed Madonna’s “Human Nature.” Tenaglia’s first epic tune was actually The Daou’s “Surrender Yourself” in 1993.

In 1994 Saved By The Bell hosted an episode titled “The Rave” where Zach and the gang host a rave to fund their trip to Cancun, Mexico. That same year Beverly Hills 90210 also featured an episode where the crew attend an underground Easter party. Growing awareness of underground events at this time led to a growing interest in the media to hype and exploit the rave culture using drugs as a main link behind each story. Part of this was also due in part to the Criminal Justice Act of 1994. The new spark in media attention broadcast the reality of raves to the ears and eyes of people everywhere, igniting yet another wave of ravers that channeled themselves into the circuit.

That same year Buzz in Washington DC ended their year-long run at The Eastside Club to re-open for short periods at both The Ritz (which is now an office building) and again at City Lights (now Love Nightclub) before they settled in at The Capital Ballroom in 1995.  The first full-on "Supersting" event by Buzzlife was hosted in 1996 with a brilliant lineup featuring Carl Cox, LTJ Bukem and Laurent Garnier.

Armand Van Helden - Break The 80s
Brooklyn Queen Express - Musek (Roc Hard Mix)
Roxy - Love To Do It (Danny Tenaglia Remix)
Syncopation - All Washed Up
Cajmere - Brighter Days feat. Dajae
George Morel - Don't Give Up
Praxis - Turn Me Out
Angel Moraes - I Like It
Smooth Touch - Take A Trip (Erick Morillo Remix)
The Daou - Are You Satisfied?

pablohassan
shit son have i really been missin all of these?  imma dl them in reverse until i catch up

funny you mentioned 90210 and saved by the bell.

1 2 3 4 5

Main MessageBoard / EPIC Threads /
SITE LINKS
Marketing
About Us
Privacy
Legal
SITE HELP
Contact Us
FOLLOW US
Lolli.org on Facebook Facebook
Lolli.org on Twitter Twitter
Lolli.org RSS Feed RSS Feed
NAVIGATION
Events
Msgboard
Mixes (New)
Mixes (Top)
Music Genres

Marketing
Artists
Interviews & Articles
Photo Gallery
Contests
Who We Are

New Mixes Top Mixes Genres
Member Stats
Interviews and Articles Photo Gallery Contests Who We Are
My Messages My Pics My Events My Artists & Mixes Account Settings Customize Lolli Logout