Main MessageBoard / EPIC Threads /

1 2 3 4 5
2rip
Premium Member
Well shit.  Since my last one got moved to the Epic Threads I'm going to start up another here so people can find it in the "music" forum... cuz that's what this is all about!  My next post will be a recap of where we are at in the series.

For anyone just now picking up on this - I've been documenting the rave scene and electronic dance music as much as possible, with the series beginning in 1988 during the rise of acid house.  Eventually it would be appropriate for me to dig even deeper to the roots of what spawned house & techno.  For now I'm going to continue forward towards the millenium.

www.myspace.com/dj2rip | www.districtignition.com | www.clubglow.com
2rip
Premium Member
Episode #1: Everything Begins With E!

DOWNLOAD: http://2rip.podomatic.com/enclosure/2008-01-15T18_13_38-08_00.mp3

House music which had previously derived from disco grew famous in the gay club circuit in cities like Chicago & New York, mainly pioneered by Frankie Knuckles (Chicago) & Larry Levan (NYC). The music had come a long way from the late 70's and dj's who performed live remixes had started focusing on producing "house music." At the same time a sound known as "acid" was created by DJ Pierre of Phuture. The acid sound was made by tweaking a Roland TB-303 Bassline Machine, a device made to provide basslines for practicing guitarists.

In 1987 American house music began reaching European music charts. "Acid house" was also a term being used in England to encompass any form of house music that sounded "crazy." People also thought the drug reference sounded cool. Incidentally the drug of the acid house movement was not LSD, but MDMA (Ecstacy). During this same year a group of three dj's who were scraping by spent the summer in Ibiza. During their time on the island they had taken their first Ecstacy trips and experienced the open-air disco known as Amnesia. These three dj's were Danny Rampling, Paul Oakenfold, and Nicky Holloway.

In 1988 each of these three dj's had opened their own club nights in London. One of the most notable was Paul Oakenfold's Monday night Spectrum party which pulled crowds of over two thousand people. Nicky Holloway's "The Trip" had crowds of rivaled football players, whose violence was at an all-time high, dancing together in an Ecstacy induced euphoria. Clubbers during this time were living as if they had been transplanted back to the sixties, talking about peace and changing the world.

In 1988 the word "raving" was also finally coined and the acid-house culture had reached it's peak. The media began documenting the events while police worked full-force to prevent raves from happening.

In 1989 the first fully licensed event took place on the London/Essex border hosted by a crew called Raindance. The yellow smiley face seen on Have A Nice Day signs became the logo for Danny Rampling's clubnight "Shoom" and simultaneously became the trademark for the acid-house revolution.

By 1990, while the music was continuing to be produced, acid-house was deemed as being "dead." The media had stopped their coverage and promoters began to set up an urban house scene in clubs like London's luxurious Ministry of Sound, bringing a second wave of ravers to the arena.

While I was not remotely close to DJ'ing during this time I've always had a passion for the songs that I chose to compile into this mini-mix, which was created a shortwhile before graduating college. This year marks the timeline for the 10 years that I have been dj'ing so I will be taking a step back and posting mixes each week of pure oldskool techno & house music.

Oval Emotion - Go Go (Deep Destruction Remix)
Drum & Bass - I Love You
Black Riot - A Day In The Life
Royal House - Can U Party (Todd Terry B-Boy Remix)
2 In A Room - Take Me Away
Underground Resistance - Jupiter Jazz
Simon Sed - Criminal

2rip
Premium Member
Episode #2: Techno Rave Candies

DOWNLOAD: http://2rip.podomatic.com/enclosure/2008-02-07T00_29_40-08_00.mp3

The early 1990's can be seen as a season of extreme change for dance music beginning with the "death" of European acid-house and rise of hardcore. In the United States, Detroit techno and Chicago/NYC house maintained their roots. However, European hardcore techno quickly made it's way onto US soil and stomping, German techno came along as well.

DJ's Frankie Bones, Adam X, and Heather Heart paved the way for North American rave, hosting illegal parties known as "Storm Rave." These parties took place in obscure locations such as construction sites, brickyards, and derelict stables. Rave-baron, Lord Michael, brought rave music into the nightclub scene with the help of Peter Gatien. Scotto & DB joined to form NASA which promoted the nighclub events at Limelight and Palladium. This created conflict between the underground Brooklyn Storm Raves and the NYC rave clubs. During the same time dj's like Keoki and America's first "techno star" known as Moby came into the picture to move America onto a broader scale in the global culture.

In 1990 the first trance track was released titled "Age Of Love." From there acts like Art of Trance, Paul Van Dyk, and Union Jack defined the sounds of trance. Similarly, hardcore became popularized by records such as "Charly" by The Prodigy and Sesame's Treat, which was a rip of the Sesame Street Theme.

This podcast shows the upward swing from acid house and techno to some early trance tunes which were, at the time, considered to be techno tracks by their producers. This was still a period where people weren't yet completely set on genres but there were different scenes created by the history of traditional house music and "rave music." Through the early 1990's the notion of segregated genres starts to become more and more prevalent with the emergence of newer styles.

Outlander - The Vamp
Joey Beltram - Energy Flash
Joey Beltram - Jazz 303
Orbital - Chime
Tasti Box - Rush
Cybex Factor - Die Schopfung
Trilithon - Choice
Orbital - Omen

Episode #3: Rave Krisp-E's

DOWNLOAD: http://2rip.podomatic.com/enclosure/2008-05-24T19_59_59-07_00.mp3

A lot happened in 1993 from the first Essential Mixes being released on BBC's Radio 1 to the split of oldskool hardcore into two seperate genres: darkcore & happy hardcore. This was also around the time that the San Francisco rave scene was reborn.

San Francisco never jumped onto house music until several years after New York & Chicago. At the turn of the 1990's several English dj's and promoters moved to San Francisco to host events, including a crew called Wicked that hosted the SF Bay Area's "Full Moon" parties. The British invasion lasted until 1993. It was at this point that the Hardkiss Brothers began hosting events and developing the sound for San Francisco ravers. In 1993 Scott Hardkiss produced "Raincry" under the moniker of God Within.

That same year Rabbit In The Moon made their breakthrough debut with O.B.E./Freak To The Beat which came out on Hallucination Recordings. Later that year Phases Of An Out Of Body Experience was released on Hardkiss Records. John Digweed and Nick Muir also established their label Bedrock Records, named after a clubnight in London.

This podcast features some of the biggest, most inspiring progressive and ambient songs from 1993 leading up to a remake of the very first trance recording which was produced in 1990 - The Age of Love.

Rabbit in the Moon - Out of Body Experience
God Within - Raincry
Future Sound of London - Papua New Guinea
Bedrock - For What You Dream Of
Havana - Ethnic Prayer
Grace - Not Over Yet
Unknown - Unknown
Jam & Spoon - Age of Love (Watch Out For Stella Club Mix)

2rip
Premium Member
Episode #4: Pure-X - Rave Enhancer

DOWNLOAD: http://2rip.podomatic.com/enclosure/2008-06-23T18_12_05-07_00.mp3

By 1990, techno had become a catch-all term denoting anything less traditionally soulful than house music. Hardcore techno was the first fully fledged genre of European rave music. DJ's in Holland were taking techno tracks that were meant to be played on 33 RPM and pumping them up to 45 RPM instead, creating beats that often exceeded 200 beats per minute.

As early as 1989, DJ duo Fabio & Grooverider were experimenting in a similar way. They conducted experiments with house music records that employed breakbeats and sped them up to similar speeds of 200 beats per minute. They did this with records that had noticeable breakbeats such as music produced on the "Shut Up & Dance" record label and songs like "Humanoid" by Stakker. This sort of experimentation help pave the way to the rise of UK Hardcore.

UK Hardcore was then influenced by Prodigy's 1991 anthem "Charly" and Acen's 1992 "Trip To The Moon." This new style served as the introductory rave sound in many North American cities. In cities like Chicago & New York the influential sound was house music but in suburban areas and rural towns, hardcore was the first "techno" heard by most people. And raves soon began cropping up all around the United States, including cities like Pittsburgh, Dallas, and Milwaukee. By the end of 1993 hardcore fizzled out in most of those towns as their local flavors emerged.

In Canada, Toronto took on an "all hardcore" personality. Ravers and party promoters essentially copied everything that was going on in England and between 1991 & 1993, England raves were huge on the new hardcore sound. Don Burns (aka Dr. Trance) had a notion to take raving in a commercial direction with an idea that rave music was for "mass enjoyment." He wanted to spread culture and did this through the use of Toronto's airwaves. Burns was a figureman in a seven partner company called Nitrous - the same company that hosted events in the CN Tower and the Ontario Science Museum.

In 1993 there was a concensus that hardcore was becoming too mainstream as the music was brushing airwaves throughout the US, Canada & Britain. Some producers began to develop what was at the time known as darkcore by stripping the elements of hardcore and making it "darker" with less pitched up vocals. All of the euphoric and happy elements were taken from it. This was the beginning of jungle. In response to this movement a different group of producers took the "happy" elements from oldskool hardcore to create happy hardcore.

With the rise of hardcore came an influx of drug use in the rave culture. The whistles and toys that were first seen in England at Danny Rampling's Shoom events became prominent everywhere hardcore was represented. Children's party accessories like glowsticks were suddenly also very popular and dancers began wearing excessively large T-shirts, wooly hats and children's bookbags.

In 1994 the Criminal Justice Act was passed which led to the crackdown of many illegal raves, outlawing them and preventing a large number of massives from taking place. This law also increased police powers of unsupervised "stop & search" along with an entire section that covered collective trespass & nuisance on land as well as a dedicated section to raves.

This episode is a look at some vital hardcore tunes that were released between 1991-1994.

Tracklisting:

Prodigy - No Good
Codene - Hilton Park
Vol 2 - Turbo Sound
Ramos & Supreme - Crowd Control
Prodigy - Out Of Space
Subdoh - Seduction
Yolk - Bish Bosh
Unknown - Mayday Anthem
Tyrrany - Off Me Head
Unity - Unity (FSOL remix)

2rip
Premium Member
Episode #5: Deep Bass

DOWNLOAD: http://2rip.podomatic.com/enclosure/2008-05-24T19_38_37-07_00.mp3

Early jungle evolved from acid house productions that sampled breakbeats. Key acid house tunes during the evolution period from 1989-1992 were 808 State's "Cubik" and Stakker's "Humanoid." Also during the same time Frankie Bones released "Bones Breaks" which was one of the first "breakbeat" productions.

In the early 90's hardcore music was perceived to have become too commercial. Producers like DJ Hype, Mickey Finn, Grooverider & Fabio began stripping down the elements of hardcore, removing the happy elements and replacing them with half-time basslines and multiple break structures. Many productions in this era were also taking samples from horror movies with screaming, yelling and crying sounds. The genre really began to break around the time of 1992. It was still considered hardcore at the time - in fact the term "darkcore" was designated to this style.

Examples of Darkcore are Goldie's "Terminator" (1992) and Top Buzz's "Living In The Darkness" (1992). These tracks took some of their cue from from the darker sounds of Belgium techno - tracks like 4 Hero's "Mr. Kirk's Nightmare" (1990) and The Psychopath's "Nightmare" (1991).

The dark sound appealed to many people in dancehall & reggae communities. The Jamaican "sound system" culture influenced the emerging sound with remixing techniques from dub & reggae. Darkcore & dancehall were being mixed together at parties until soon dancehall reggae was incorporated into the sound of darkcore. As the yet-unnamed genre evolved, the use of sampled breakbeats became more complex. The most notable sample is the Amen Break which was taken from a funk song by The Winston Brothers called "Amen, Brother."

In 1993 the confusion surrounding this style finally broke. Jungle had finally gained it's own identity with dedicated UK club venues such as Roast, Roller Express, and Telepathy. Andy C produced the classic jungle hit "Valley of the Shadows" while Ed Rush formed the darkcore party "Bloodclot Attack."

The origin of the term "jungle" is absolutely debatable. However the emergence of the term can very roughly be traced to Jamaican/Caribbean MC's where they often made references to "the jungle" or "junglists." A junglist was a reference to anyone living in Kingston, Trenchtown - the area that was known as "The Concrete Jungle."

Across the Atlantic, Toronto's hardcore scene began to split as well, creating the largest jungle scene in North America. In London, jungle was a very Black, non-rave sound. The only difference in Toronto was that there was very little Black interest in jungle and the majority stayed away from it. In the United States, Black interest was still primarily focused on the house music scenes of New York & Chicago.

The winter period linking 1992 to 1993 was considered a very "dark" time, especialy for the Toronto rave scene. The overall quality of ecstacy that was being sold was deteriorating, the use of speed was on the rise, and crack was becoming increasingly popular. Overdose cases were becoming far too common in the rave scene while criminality & scamming had also rooted itself in the hardcore arena.

Running parallel to what was happening in the winter of 1992 was Darkcore. In response to darkness that was coming from the UK, other producers of hardcore began moving in the opposite direction. The "happy" elements of hardcore were soon being embellished, creating what has ever since been the arch-nemesis for the jungle community - happy hardcore.

This podcast features some of my early jungle collection with tracks from 1991-1993. For me early jungle was defined by Roni Size & LTJ Bukem. Both of which remained a huge inspiration for me throughout the 1990's which you will see as we near the millenium.

Tracklist:

Rufige Kru - Fabio's Ghost
Q Bass feat. Skeng Gee - Gun Connection
Dubplate Remixes - Simply Rolling
Brainkillers & Lewi Cifer - Hurt Me
Roni Size - Fresh
Ravers Choice - Side B
Roni Size - The Refresher
LTJ Bukem - Bookworm
LTJ Bukem - Logical Progression
David Bryce - Logical Reprise
Bodysnatch - Euphony
Brainkillers & Lewi Cifer - On A Different Mission
Xenophobia - The Phoenix

Elektrykah
I don't have time to read all of the commentary right now, but I LOVE the first 4 flyers/pics/whatever they are.

More comments to follow.....

Elektrykah
Oh wow! I didn't grasp the whole concept when I just scanned this over earlier. I can't imagine how much time it took to compile all that info and then piece it together to create a series out of it....seems like you've invested a lot of time/work into this. IMO it's a great idea! All downloaded; looking forward to hearing #3 & #5.

2rip
Premium Member
Post from ElektrykahOh wow! I didn't grasp the whole concept when I just scanned this over earlier. I can't imagine how much time it took to compile all that info and then piece it together to create a series out of it....seems like you've invested a lot of time/work into this. IMO it's a great idea! All downloaded; looking forward to hearing #3 & #5.
It's definitely been a consuming project.  I still feel like there's so much that hasn't even been touched upon.  We're going into the 6th installment of the series here this week so that leaves roughly 20 more episodes.  I'll try to pick up the speed an make sure I am posting these weekly.

Thanks for the review and totally gotta thank you for everything you & I have been discussing in PM's.  I gotta free up a few more minutes and I'll write ya back.  <3

fonz
Been offline for a minute but entire concept and mix series look incredible.  Thanks man!

dtt
Post from fonzBeen offline for a minute but entire concept and mix series look incredible.  Thanks man!
yes it is. It's a great concept to school the newer kids on where the music has come from, and where it is going. Kudos 2rip!

2rip
Premium Member
Episode #6: The New Sound Of Hardcore

DOWNLOAD: http://2rip.podomatic.com/enclosure/2008-08-24T15_57_02-07_00.mp3

In the context of Jamaican pop culture, a sound system was basically a group of DJs and MCs.  The crews would load trucks with generators, turntables and huge speakers to set up street parties.  Many of these dj's were very set on playing "exclusive" music which would only be shared amongst their own sound system.  These exclusive records were pressed onto an acetate disc called dubplates.  In the record industry these discs were used as test pressings to help master a recording before the track was pressed to vinyl and mass produced.  

After the break of 1994, the entire United States was beginning to more widely embrace jungle.  Dieselboy, who at the time was living in Pittsburgh, was hosting a show on Carnegie Mellon's radio station WRTC.  In 1994, Dieselboy released "The Future Sound of Hardcore" which was his first major mix.  The demo sold over 100 copies online through the first electronic mailing list application known as LISTSERVs.  Selling this mixtape was a slow process but it eventually snowballed into a variety of gigs up and down the East Coast.  

Since the term "jungle" had become so closely related to the reggae-influenced sound, dj's and producers who did not incorporate reggae sounds began to adopt the term "drum & bass." Incidentally this term was used several years prior by a London KISS FM disc jockey named Trevor Nelson to describe rougher funk melodies & "raregroove" that he was playing on the pirate radio station.

The release of General Levy's "Incredible" in 1994 was another major turning point for jungle. This record featured a quote by General Levy himself which turned a lot of heads for other major drum & bass producers. Many of these producers began to feel that the genre was taking on too many violent elements mixed with crowds that were tinged with gangster type of appeal. This was the birth of "intelligent drum & bass."

Intelligent drum & bass focused on warm, jazzy elements. It also featured samples that were atmospheric with deep basslines. Alongside the evolution of intelligent drum & bass, ragga became more stripped-down, featuring more aggressive snare drums. This style was soon titled as being "hardstep."

This podcast is to musically chart the progression from acid house to darkcore, not quite leading into hardstep or intelligent. The previous episode did not demonstrate any tracks that featured the Caribbean dancehall/ragga style that had become and integral part of the jungle culture. That sound is found on DJ Spice's "New Stylee" and DJ Sparks "Hang Dem High."

4 Hero - Mr. Kirk's Nightmare (1990)
2 Bad Mice - Bombscare (1989)
Stakker - Humanoid (1989)
Rufige Cru - Darkrider (1992)
Holy Noise - I Am A Nightmare Walking (1992)
Aphrodite - Raw Motion (1992)
Subject 13 - Armageddon Countdown (1992)
DJ Spice - The New Stylee (1992)
DJ Sparks - Hang Dem High (1992)
2 Bad Mice - Underworld (DJ Hype Remix)(1993)
LTJ Bukem - Demon's Theme (1991)

SEAN
Quite down with this

pablohassan
2rip i been lovin this but where the hell is all the HOUSE???

pablo814
Premium Member
Mr. Kirk's Nightmare is a total classic!!!!!!!!!!

"Honey, I want to do something, we never do anything!" "We are doing something. I'm watching the game and eating a sandwich, and you are making me another sandwich!"
doog
Premium Member
haven't gotten to listen to all of these yet but the ones i have were bangin

pablohassan
Has anyone else ever listened to Dieselboy's Future Sound of Hardcore?  It was very well-played but his FSOH mixes didn't really seem to do it for me... not the way his East Coast Science sets did at least.

pablo814
Premium Member
I have... and x2. Does any1 have any of these available?

"Honey, I want to do something, we never do anything!" "We are doing something. I'm watching the game and eating a sandwich, and you are making me another sandwich!"
2rip
Premium Member
Post from pablo814I have... and x2. Does any1 have any of these available?
Go here, sir:

http://lolli.org/Modules/MessageBoard/Thread.aspx?Thread=22229

Dieselnuts has most of his mixes posted to his website.  Missing "A Soldiers Story" though which was my favorite, next to the 611 Mix he did.

pablo814
Premium Member
Soldiers Story was great. The intro is one of the best on a CD ever IMO...

2rip
Premium Member
Episode #7: Precursor [1976-1987]

DOWNLOAD: http://2rip.podomatic.com/enclosure/2008-09-06T18_20_01-07_00.mp3

PODCAST: http://2rip.podomatic.com/

Kraftwerk's album "Autobahn" from 1971 is often considered the first electronic music pressed to disc and marketed. During this time other electronic groups such as Tangerine Dream were also pressing discs. Such music had inspired Juan Atkins from Detroit who soon began a duo called Cybotron. Under this name Juan Atkins and his partner James Davis released several songs including the first pressing labeled as techno which was titled "Alleys of Your Mind" in 1981. They coined the term techno to describe any electronic sounding band such as Kraftwerk. Many people often argue that music produced by Cybotron should be considered "electro."

In the 70's a style of music on the Salsoul record label featured latin drums, funk guitar and strings  - uptempo music geared for dancing. This sound became known as disco and the movement sprang forward very quickly after the release of the hit movie Saturday Night Fever. The Salsoul label was also the first to release a 12" inch single which featured extended remixes that were geared specifically for dj's. These 12" inch records were also known as the disco maxi-single.

Disco had hit it big and dj's Frankie Knuckles and Larry Levan had already become established nightclub dj's from playing the gay music circuit. The two were soon invited to play records at The Paradise Garage on 84 King Street in New York City in 1977. "The Garage" became Larry Levan's dj residency while Frankie Knuckles packed up and moved to Chicago to take his place at The Warehouse nightclub. In New York Larry Levan played eclectic dance music, mixing out of disco and into Van Halen records or obscure avant garde fare like Tangerine Dream. In Chicago, Knuckles was pushing continuous mixes of disco at The Warehouse. Knuckles was very fond of vocal tracks with inspirational messages.

By the turn of the eighties, few people were recording vocal disco music. Rock radio DJ Steve Dahl organized the 1979 Disco Demolition Derby at Cominskey Park in Chicago where one hundred thousand disco records were dynamited and broke out into a riot. Immediately after, the record industry had proclaimed that disco was dead. Many labels dropped their dance departments but Frankie Knuckles continued to push on by playing the songs he revered.

A record store in Chicago named "Imports Etc" was eventually the only record store that continued to carry classic Philly/Salsoul-style records. With Knuckles at the forefront of this style, other dj's associated the Salsoul flavor with The Warehouse nightclub. Imports labeled the crates holding these releases as "House Music" or "As Played At The Warehouse" to market them. This is where the term "house music" is said to have come from.

The club-style mixing inspired by The Warehouse made it's way to Chicago airwaves with a WBMX disc jockey crew called The Hot Mix 5. The Hot Mix 5 included notable talents such as Farley "Jackmaster" Funk and Ralphi Rosari. Suddenly more dj's were coming out of the woodwork as The Warehouse flavor of music continued to inspire the black gay community in Chicago.

In 1983 The Music Box opened in Chicago with resident DJ Ron Hardy. Ron Hardy was addicted to heroine during the times of his residency so he was usually high while he was dj'ing. As a result of the drugs, he often felt as if music needed to be faster. This is likely where his nickname "Heart Attack Hardy" came from.

Frankie Knuckles felt that it was time to step up his game. Other dj's soon caught on and it was a constant competition to one-up each other. These dj's began using two copies of the same record to extend breakbeats or cut out parts of a song that they did not wish to use. They added drum machines to their setups as well and their styles involved using more EQ cuts and faster mixing.

Dj's worked on their mixes in the studio, using the facilities to add more originality to the music. Clubbers realized how easy it was to make tracks using samplers and drum machines. This led to many non-dj's taking a step into the studio themselves, releasing their music on reel-to-reel tapes. Many of these productions consisted of nothing more than a bassline and a drum pattenr. In a matter of months the producers of these tapes began adding samples, effects, and melodies.

Kraftwerk - Numbers
Kraftwerk - The Robots
Cybotron - Alleys Of Your Mind
Frankie Goes To Hollywood - Welcome To The Pleasuredome
The Salsoul Orchestra - Ooh I Love It (Love Break)
The Salsoul Orchestra - Ooh I Love It (Original 12")
Skyy - First Time Around
Instant Funk - I Got My Mind Made Up
First Choice - Let No Man Put Asunder

PDub

"Music in the soul can be heard by the universe."
Amila
WELCOME TO THE PLEASUREDOME!!!!!  

I always like Frankie Goes to Hollywood.  It's sort of weird how they fit into this whole puzzle of being part of the roots.

2rip
Premium Member
Post from AmilaWELCOME TO THE PLEASUREDOME!!!!!  

I always like Frankie Goes to Hollywood.  It's sort of weird how they fit into this whole puzzle of being part of the roots.
Actually I'm not so sure what the influence was with this track.  Mainly because Ron Hardy is the only one that I've researched that jocked it to hell & back.  That's why I included it on the mix... I DID IT FOR HARDY! lol.  Honestly it's one of my favorite tunes right now... been listening to it while I get dressed for work every morning.

2rip
Premium Member
Episode #8: The House That Jack Built

DOWNLOAD: http://2rip.podomatic.com/enclosure/2008-09-15T12_11_58-07_00.mp3

"In the beginning there was Jack... and Jack had a groove. And from this groove came the groove of all grooves. And while one day viciously throwing down on his box Jack boldly declared LET THERE BE HOUSE. And house music was born."

Jacking was a form of dance that spawned from "punking out." Punking out involved bending a girl over on the dancefloor and grinding on her backside. The humping motion carried over and people began doing humping, jumping & pushing motions that were then considered to be "jacking." People would be seen inside the clubs jacking each other, jacking speakers, jacking the dj booth, jacking doorways, and jacking walls. It was a release for people to go to the clubs and "jack their bodies." This release was inspired by the house music.

In 1983, Jesse Saunders & Vince Lawrence produced a stripped down interpretation of a song by First Choice. Jesse was also entertained by the idea of Laid Back's "White Horse" where the vocalist would proclaim "Bitch!" This exclamation shows up throughout their release. The tape was titled "On & On" and was eventually committed to vinyl in the same year, being recognized as the first official house music pressing. Jesse and Vince were still teenagers at the time.

In 1984 Keith Farley aka Farley "Jackmaster" Funk recorded an influential Chicago house track titled "Funkin With The Drums." Other similar records became prevalent after this. All of these records were produced with drums only and were known as beat tracks or rhythm tracks.

Chicago soon had two major house record lables, DJ International and Trax. In 1986 these labels brought several hits like Farley "Jackmaster" Funk's "Jack Your Body." Farley produced his first major release with Jesse Saunders, Duane Buford & Vince Lawrence. They needed a singer that could bring a lot of soul. That singer was Darryl Pandy. The release was titled "Love Can't Turn Around." It reportedly reached Number 10 on one of Britain's music charts in 1986.
Marshall Jefferson was also making waves as he created a piano rhythm that would show up on acid house tracks for years to come. This record that was released as "Move Your Body" helped house music skyrocket from where it stood in 1986 and became noteably the first major anthem for the genre.

Laid Back - White Horse (Ultimix)
Jesse Saunders - On & On
Farley Jackmaster Funk - Funking With The Drums Again
Housemaster Boyz - House Nation
Ron Hardy - Baby, Baby, Baby, Aw Shucks
Kenny "Jammin" Jason & Fast Eddie - Don't Want It
Jillian Mendez - Get Up
Nitro Deluxe - This Brutal House
M. Doc & Steve "Silk" Hurley- It's Percussion
Risse - House Train
LNR - Work It To The Bone
Farley Jackmaster Funk - Love Can't Turn Around
Ce Ce Rogers - What Is House Music

pablohassan
who would've thunk that "jack your body" was just another way of telling people to go out and hump things lol

1 2 3 4 5

Main MessageBoard / EPIC Threads /
SITE LINKS
Marketing
About Us
Privacy
Legal
SITE HELP
Contact Us
FOLLOW US
Lolli.org on Facebook Facebook
Lolli.org on Twitter Twitter
Lolli.org RSS Feed RSS Feed
NAVIGATION
Events
Msgboard
Mixes (New)
Mixes (Top)
Music Genres

Marketing
Artists
Interviews & Articles
Photo Gallery
Contests
Who We Are

New Mixes Top Mixes Genres
Member Stats
Interviews and Articles Photo Gallery Contests Who We Are
My Messages My Pics My Events My Artists & Mixes Account Settings Customize Lolli Logout