Main MessageBoard / EPIC Threads /

1 2
2rip
Premium Member
This will hopefully be enough to raise discussion amongst the members, educate the new and bring back memories for the oldskool generation.

Throughout the year I will be taking everyone on a journey through the history of house music, techno, jungle, hardcore, trance and breaks with music spanning the 1970s through present day.

Each episode will be accompanied with graphic art which will mimick the party flyers of each particular time period.  There will also be a description of changes and milestones that took place in the scene at the time.

Each episode will be in chronological order as best as I can make it given the resources I have.  Most of the mixes were previously recorded, the majority actually took place while I was in college and never released, but some I will have to hunt down the records pertinant to the time period.

So I hope you all will keep an eye out on this thread and generate some discussion.  If you want to join the mailing list for this podcast please PM me your email address so I can enter it into the database.

Enjoy!!!

www.myspace.com/dj2rip | www.districtignition.com | www.clubglow.com
2rip
Premium Member
Episode #1: Everything Begins With E! [1988-1991]

DOWNLOAD MIX DIRECTLY: http://2rip.podomatic.com/enclosure/2008-01-15T18_13_38-08_00.mp3

LEAVE COMMENTS & VIEW MIX: http://2rip.podomatic.com/entry/2008-01-15T18_13_38-08_00

PODCAST: wws.2rip.podomatic.com

House music which had previously derived from disco grew famous in the gay club circuit in cities like Chicago & New York, mainly pioneered by Frankie Knuckles (Chicago) & Larry Levan (NYC). The music had come a long way from the late 70's and dj's who performed live remixes had started focusing on producing "house music." At the same time a sound known as "acid" was created by DJ Pierre of Phuture. The acid sound was made by tweaking a Roland TB-303 Bassline Machine, a device made to provide basslines for practicing guitarists.

In 1987 American house music began reaching European music charts. "Acid house" was also a term being used in England to encompass any form of house music that sounded "crazy." People also thought the drug reference sounded cool. Incidentally the drug of the acid house movement was not LSD, but MDMA (Ecstacy). During this same year a group of three dj's who were scraping by spent the summer in Ibiza. During their time on the island they they had taken their first Ecstacy trips and experienced the open-air disco known as Amnesia. These three dj's were Danny Rampling, Paul Oakenfold, and Nicky Holloway.

In 1988 each of these three dj's had opened their own club nights in London. One of the most notable was Paul Oakenfold's Monday night Spectrum party which pulled crowds of over two thousand people. At Nicky Holloway's "The Trip" had crowds of rivaled football players, whose violence was at an all-time high, dancing together in an Ecstacy induced euphoria. Clubbers during this time were living as if they had been transplanted back to the sixties, talking about peace and changing the world.

In 1988 the word "raving" was also finally coined and the acid-house culture had reached it's peak. The media began documenting the events while police worked in full-force to prevent raves from happening.

In 1989 the first fully licensed event took place on the London/Essex border hosted by a crew called Raindance. The yellow smiley face seen on Have A Nice Day signs became the logo for Danny Rampling's clubnight "Shoom" and simultaneously became the trademark for the acid-house revolution.

By 1990, while the music was continuing to be produced, acid-house was deemed as being "dead." The media had stopped their coverage and promoters began to set up an urban house scene in clubs like London's luxurious Ministry of Sound, bringing a second wave of ravers to the arena.

While I was not remotely close to DJ'ing during this time I've always had a passion for the songs that I chose to compile into this mini-mix, which was created a shortwhile before graduating college. This year marks the timeline for the 10 years that I have been dj'ing so I will be taking a step back and posting mixes each week of pure oldskool techno & house music.

Oval Emotion - Go Go (Deep Destruction Remix)
Drum & Bass - I Love You
Black Riot - A Day In The Life
Royal House - Can U Party (Todd Terry B-Boy Remix)
2 In A Room - Take Me Away
Underground Resistance - Jupiter Jazz
Simon Sed - Criminal

CubanB
Hey you already had this layed out on a site somewhere.

I know, cause Im cool.

PDub
x100

"Music in the soul can be heard by the universe."
2rip
Premium Member
Post from CubanBHey you already had this layed out on a site somewhere.

I know, cause Im cool.
yeah, i was going to leave it off of lolli since there is not much activity in the mixes & music forums but i decided against that.

i'm going to take my time and let the users take in everything while i catch up on releasing the rest of the episodes.  if anyone is really anxious and can't wait you can find all of the episodes at my podcast page (www.2rip.podomatic.com)

i'll post episodes weekly until each region is in sync.

Soren
Nifty!

doog
Premium Member
hopefully ill remember to checkthis out sometime i'm not at work

2rip
Premium Member
Episode #2: Techno Rave Candies

DOWNLOAD DIRECTLY: http://2rip.podomatic.com/enclosure/2008-02-07T00_29_40-08_00.mp3

VIEW & COMMENT: http://2rip.podomatic.com/entry/2008-02-07T00_29_40-08_00

PODCAST: http://2rip.podomatic.com/

The early 1990's can be seen as a season of extreme change for dance music beginning with the "death" of European acid-house and rise of hardcore. In the United States, Detroit techno and Chicago/NYC house maintained their roots. However, European hardcore techno quickly made it's way onto US soil and stomping, German techno came along as well.

DJ's Frankie Bones, Adam X, and Heather Heart paved the way for North American rave, hosting illegal parties known as "Storm Rave." These parties took place in obscure locations such as construction sites, brickyards, and derelict stables. Rave-baron, Lord Michael, brought rave music into the nightclub scene with the help of Peter Gatien. Scotto & DB joined to form NASA which promoted the nighclub events at Limelight and Palladium. This created conflict between the underground Brooklyn Storm Raves and the NYC rave clubs. During the same time dj's like Keoki and America's first "techno star" known as Moby came into the picture to move America onto a broader scale in the global culture.

In 1990 the first trance track was released titled "Age Of Love." From there acts like Art of Trance, Paul Van Dyk, and Union Jack defined the sounds of trance. Similarly, hardcore became popularized by records such as "Charly" by The Prodigy and Sesame's Treat, which was a rip of the Sesame Street Theme.

This podcast shows the upward swing from acid house and techno to some early trance tunes which were, at the time, considered to be techno tracks by their producers. This was still a period where people weren't yet completely set on genres but there were different scenes created by the history of traditional house music and "rave music." Through the early 1990's the notion of segregated genres starts to become more and more prevalent with the emergence of newer styles.

Outlander - The Vamp
Joey Beltram - Energy Flash
Joey Beltram - Jazz 303
Orbital - Chime
Tasti Box - Rush
Cybex Factor - Die Schopfung
Trilithon - Choice
Orbital - Omen

poptart
I can't wait to have time to sit and enjoy. This is so awesome. :)

"And if I was a ghost and came back when u smoked me id rape u" -Flatbed
TBOT3001
sweet this will give me something to do with my time.  its about bed time now, but i get to listening tomorrow, chad.

zero0sero
I'm about halfway through the first episode now, and I'm really enjoying it as I read along the awesome history lesson!  I think this whole idea is awesome as all hell!  

I'll post more after I finish listening to the rest of episode one and then episode two as well!  

You wanna know how I know you're gay?
Human
Son of a bitch.

So, who wants to ask Chad the age-old ? "What have you done for the scene?!"

...not it!

Can't wait to get settled in somewhere I can actually download this and listen to it. Will do ASAP.

Frankie Bones is the suck you've been looking for
2rip
Premium Member
Post from HumanSon of a bitch.

...not it!

Can't wait to get settled in somewhere I can actually download this and listen to it. Will do ASAP.
sat back, did a lot of drugs.  listened to some dope tunes.  duh!  :P  j/k

we should start up an archive of our old flyers at some point.  i know Trout has an archive on hyperreal but there's tons of stuff missing.

pablo814
Premium Member
I should have a box with most f the flyers from 00-03...

"Honey, I want to do something, we never do anything!" "We are doing something. I'm watching the game and eating a sandwich, and you are making me another sandwich!"
CubanB
Post from HumanSon of a bitch.

...not it!

That question gets asked to people no one knows.

Not someone like Chad.

poptart
just DL'd episode one. wooooot! Chad, you rock.

BOINGTHUMP
Premium Member
This shit is so dope to me.  I had been hearing Electronic music on and off During this time but was in the middle  of no where and was stuck picking up what few CD's the local music shops had.  

I didn't find "rave" culture untill 99 and wasn't into it until 00/01ish.   These last 2 Sets have been great because Some of the stuff really sounds like a few things I heard back then.  I am really looking forward to the rest of these.  

If this keeps going the way it has been, These could be used as a Crash Course in EDM History.  

Please, Keep this up until you hit current stuff.  And by current I mean tomorrow.

Also some things just shouldnt be shared with the general population...or even on a message board...definately not here on Lolli.
poptart
Listened to both episodes, and it was awesome. I am happy this is happening.

zero0sero
After listening to episodes one and two, they immediately went on my Ipod. Great mixes!  Can't wait for the next installment.

You wanna know how I know you're gay?
2rip
Premium Member
Post from zero0seroAfter listening to episodes one and two, they immediately went on my Ipod. Great mixes!  Can't wait for the next installment.
i might need patience on some of the series since i'm actually trying to track down records for a specific time period where i have a gap.  i have episodes 1-7 already recorded, i'm just releasing them to you one at a time so no one is overloaded.  after this weekend you'll have the next installment  :)

thanks for the candid feedback on this so far.  it's really making me know that this has been worthwhile so far.

TBOT3001
listened to almost all the first one.  nice shit chad!  this goes along with an idea i had.  it also goes along with the dj timeline thread.  i wanna make a series of mixes that tell of my personal djing history.  it would be pretty eclectic.  trance mix, then boring prog house, then dark tribal prog, then nu skool breaks, then prog breaks, then tech house,breaks, and techno all in one mix, then one somehow with indy-dance, elctro, dnb, dubstep, house and techno all in one mix.  

i think it would be cool if a lot of people would do this.

i'm gonna listen to the rest of the first one of your and the second this weekend.  keep this shit coming chad!  also, do you the name of a dj sluggo track with a sample that says "mother fucker"  around the era of your first mix?  its hard slow detroit techno.

TBOT3001
really looking forward to the mix around the mid - late nineties.

2rip
Premium Member
Post from TBOT3001listened to almost all the first one.  nice shit chad!  this goes along with an idea i had.  it also goes along with the dj timeline thread.  i wanna make a series of mixes that tell of my personal djing history.  it would be pretty eclectic.  trance mix, then boring prog house, then dark tribal prog, then nu skool breaks, then prog breaks, then tech house,breaks, and techno all in one mix, then one somehow with indy-dance, elctro, dnb, dubstep, house and techno all in one mix.  

i think it would be cool if a lot of people would do this.

i'm gonna listen to the rest of the first one of your and the second this weekend.  keep this shit coming chad!  also, do you the name of a dj sluggo track with a sample that says "mother fucker"  around the era of your first mix?  its hard slow detroit techno.
I know Sluggo put out a tune called Shout It Out in 1988... no idea if this is the same jam you're looking for.  

Human
lol. Somebody voted "I hate this thread."

Frankie Bones is the suck you've been looking for
2rip
Premium Member
Post from Humanlol. Somebody voted "I hate this thread."
It was me trying to be witty.  

1 2

Main MessageBoard / EPIC Threads /
SITE LINKS
Marketing
About Us
Privacy
Legal
SITE HELP
Contact Us
FOLLOW US
Lolli.org on Facebook Facebook
Lolli.org on Twitter Twitter
Lolli.org RSS Feed RSS Feed
NAVIGATION
Events
Msgboard
Mixes (New)
Mixes (Top)
Music Genres

Marketing
Artists
Interviews & Articles
Photo Gallery
Contests
Who We Are

New Mixes Top Mixes Genres
Member Stats
Interviews and Articles Photo Gallery Contests Who We Are
My Messages My Pics My Events My Artists & Mixes Account Settings Customize Lolli Logout