Main MessageBoard / Music Production & Mixing Techniques /

1 2 3
EricBliss
Like, seriously.   Or at least engineering and helping me bring ideas to fruition.  I was sitting at the piano today and did a totally overdramatic version of My Direction for some silly reason and it totally hit me...I'd LOVE to do some live happy hardcore and remix stuff.   It would be killer to do with synths and a grand piano but that's kind of overreaching.    Techno is my love, no doubt.   But then again I had 7 years of piano lessons and have played keyboards for years and if I'm going to do anything musical with dance music either this or maybe trance (not the boring variety) may suit me best.    I've been toying with the idea of trying to maybe produce my own techno tracks but producing techno seems to be more of a mechanical than a "musical" (for lack of a better word) process.    Anybody familiar with recording equipment?    I know nothing of digital recording but can play instruments.   I'd like to see some local live electronic acts, everybody DJ's anymore but I never see real instruments.  

Check out some mixes!  Trance and breaks.  http://lolli.org/Artists/Eric-Bliss.aspx  and also www.deejay-mixes.com/Eric_Bliss
EricBliss
I'm completely aware of that and if you noticed in my last sentence I said producing techno was less "musical" for LACK OF A BETTER TERM.  Melodic would have been far more appropriate to say and I'm not sure how I overlooked that far better adjective.  

It's not like I think techno is a bunch of random noise fed into a computer which spits instant tracks out or anything.   I spin it and the best techno can be very intricate when you listen closely to the arrangements.   What I was trying to say was that producing tracks in genres that were more melodic would be more up my alley than producing tracks that more based more on layering rhythmic noise.   It would be difficult to sit at a piano and work out the arrangement of a hard techno track.   However, sitting at the piano and working out chord charts and top melodies for some happy hardcore would be far more feasable.  That's all I was saying.  

Check out some mixes!  Trance and breaks.  http://lolli.org/Artists/Eric-Bliss.aspx  and also www.deejay-mixes.com/Eric_Bliss
mcpoe
my only response to this whole convo is you have overlooked one thing.

it is all, hip hop, rock, edm, emo, all of it is based on what you do, ow you feel.  music is a feeling not a mathmatical equation.

make what you feel first then worry about all the rest. cause if your music does not have your soul
then what is the point!!

EricBliss
"music is a feeling not a mathmatical equation."

Try telling that to Dream Theater or Hella.   :-P

djfirefly
My husband and I use a Mackie Spike for recording to a computer. It's super simple to use - works right out of the box and comes with software you can use (Tracktion). It just uses a USB interface to connect to your computer, which all of them have these days.

We're working on the live electronic musical act thing, ala Orbital, Higher Intelligence Agency, etc. I handle a synth, a Korg Kaoss pad and CDJs, husband plays drums and also does our drum machine programming. We'll spend hours just improvising stuff together... way fun!

DJ Firefly

EricBliss
That does sound like a blast!  What kind of music?

djfirefly
Original post from EricBliss
That does sound like a blast!  What kind of music?
I have a background in jazz and tend toward the house, deep house, electro house, progressive house, tribal house, and downtempo styles. My husband likes stuff that has a bit faster tempo - trance, psy trance, etc. But we both appreciate all those genres so the stuff we do tends to be a blending of all of the above. Much of our influence comes from artists like Shpongle, System 7, and others who create stuff that's very cross-genre.

We're both suckers for a great bassline and cool effects (which is where the Kaoss pad comes in), and taking a sound and modifying it on the fly - changing pitch/amplitude depth, LFO frequency, etc. I use a Novation Supernova II as my synth and there's so much we can do with just that!

Usually he'll get a cool drum track going and maybe a bassline on the drum machine (Korg E-tribe), and then I'll find some cool synth sounds to go with it and improvise on top of what he's doing.

We rarely ever set out to create music that falls into a specific genre - we just start fiddling around and go with what we feel!  :)

tika
Original post from Tron
actually poe it is based on math...yeah it's true you play with feeling, but in essence it's just a set of mathimatical principles...not taking anything away from how you vibe with your music...but it is what it is...
yinz need a virus. they are so much fun. i totally wish i had one.

eric next time you come to my house, we'll talk. i think joey rukkus, bud, and i are gonna start working and collab-ing on some shite so maybe you could jump in with us if we get something rolling.  which would be gouda if you can write melodies, because im horrible at it. and i dont believe any of us can play piano :P

Queen of the Lolli.org Paparazzi // mixes, pics, fun stuff -> kooterkore.com
tika
woops why did i quote that? ahah

but since i did, yeah you do need math along with 'your soul' for your tracks to be correctly written. bad tracks with horrible or no structure make me twitch. theres a lot of math in music theory.

mcpoe
Original post from Tika
woops why did i quote that? ahah

but since i did, yeah you do need math along with 'your soul' for your tracks to be correctly written. bad tracks with horrible or no structure make me twitch. theres a lot of math in music theory.
misinterpretation (i thibnk i misspelled that)

what i mean is the mathmatical layout is important,but if your song has no soul period, it has no hit.

even stuff made from random shit has a soul, because the producer generates the sounds based on the feel of the newly made sound, then he arranges them to the time, and math.

do you understand yet

shadowstarr
eric just save your money and buy records i'll give u a list of progs to download and help walk ya through it all.  i've been doing this stuff for over 10 years, so i'll be able to get u off to a good start.  we should talk at the party on sat.

whats this?
EricBliss
DJFirefly - Who's wife are you?   That sounds really cool what you guys do maybe we could jam sometime!   Being in this kind of scene its rare to meet other jammers who just like to plug in, smoke, and rock out and improv.   I've had the pleasure of being able to play with some great DJs around here but its rare you hear of people who wanna jam.  The supernova is a rad board, I have a Roland JP-8000 which I don't think I could ever not find a use for.   I also have a Korg N5 for my meat and potatoes stuff.  And the Hammond...which sadly will be for sale shortly (lots of overdue bills)

Tika - I got your number I'll call ya sometime.  Don't think I'll be afterpartying this weekend as I'll probably have to help Tyler and everybody clean up afterwards.   If I can get out of there soon enough I might swing by the pound afterwards. Rukkus has actually released some tracks hasn't he?   If he has a knowledge of how to program and make rhythm tracks (they need to be good though, I've heard lots of people's "original tracks" that sound like they use a casio preset beat) it could work.    It would help too since I'm not exactly the hardcore expert.  

Tron - Gotcha.  :-)

Richie Star (hey you should start palling around with Danni and April and start wearing a ton of kandi and acting like you're a celebrity ha)  I appreciate your offer to help too.   I got the old family comp and plan on gutting everything out of it and installing software on it.   We'll def talk at Come Together bro.  

tika
DJFirefly - Who's wife are you?   That sounds really cool what you guys do maybe we could jam sometime!   Being in this kind of scene its rare to meet other jammers who just like to plug in, smoke, and rock out and improv.   I've had the pleasure of being able to play with some great DJs around here but its rare you hear of people who wanna jam.  The supernova is a rad board, I have a Roland JP-8000 which I don't think I could ever not find a use for.   I also have a Korg N5 for my meat and potatoes stuff.  And the Hammond...which sadly will be for sale shortly (lots of overdue bills)

Tika - I got your number I'll call ya sometime.  Don't think I'll be afterpartying this weekend as I'll probably have to help Tyler and everybody clean up afterwards.   If I can get out of there soon enough I might swing by the pound afterwards. Rukkus has actually released some tracks hasn't he?   If he has a knowledge of how to program and make rhythm tracks (they need to be good though, I've heard lots of people's "original tracks" that sound like they use a casio preset beat) it could work.    It would help too since I'm not exactly the hardcore expert.  

Richie Star (hey you should start palling around with Danni and April and start wearing a ton of kandi and acting like you're a celebrity ha)  I appreciate your offer to help too.   I got the old family comp and plan on gutting everything out of it and installing software on it.   We'll def talk at Come Together bro.  
nah joey's just starting out too. ive been fucking around with software for years, but never just got down to it and got a track done.  

no one should act like those two because its not cute in the least bit, and they are better than no one.

EricBliss
Original post from Tika

nah joey's just starting out too. ive been fucking around with software for years, but never just got down to it and got a track done.  

no one should act like those two because its not cute in the least bit, and they are better than no one.
You're tellin' me.   My friends were getting pissed at me for acting "negatively" to Danni at the party last weekend and Vinny P (fucking techno DJ's) basically forced me into a really awkward situation to make up with him.   He's like "Eric he just wants to get along and be friends...stop shooting him dirty looks!"   So I  yelled at Danni, which I guess didn't satisfy him.   A couple of my friends said I should let by gones be by gones.   They don't even know.  I swam in bullshit up to my neck with that motherfucker.    Just to satisfy him I said whatever but he's on serious probation.   I'm pissed at myself that I was even that nice.

Well cool then we should hang out and have a software party.   You guys set up the equipment and computer and I'll bring some of New Castle's finest (some of the hookers here only charge like 3 bucks!)  I have decent synths and chops I'm sure something cool could happen.   I'll start working on stuff this week just so I have shit to instantly spit out whenever that would happen.

shadowstarr
eric don't call me richie star k?

whats this?
tika

tika
woops

EricBliss
Original post from shadowstarr
eric don't call me richie star k?
Don't worry.  I have no desire to ever call you that seriously. lol

Eric

abZ
Whats up with all the music convos on here lately?

Eric, I'd suggest working on some dnb, the last thing the world needs is more happy hardcore records.  

EricBliss
Original post from abZ
Whats up with all the music convos on here lately?

Eric, I'd suggest working on some dnb, the last thing the world needs is more happy hardcore records.  
If only you knew how craptastic I think Jungle is.  j/k ;-)

tika
i beg to differ, the last thing the world needs is another dark dnb pendulum fucking ripoff.

god im so sick of it. do something different for christs sake.

tika
before anyone jumps down my throat, im not attacking you personally dude im just stating the fact that i think dnb needs to go a different direction already. im starting to not like it again and thats not right.

i go through these hate phases with jungle/dnb. just seems like it gets stuck in a HUUUUUUUGE rut every few years.

shadowstarr
i totally feel ya on that tika.  

i know this gonna sound really bad coming from a techno dj but dnb just sounds all the same to me, its like the same loop over and over again.

whats this?
fonz
I would reply but I seriously don't care anymore what you guys think of the rut dnb is in.

We're having fun and there is so much ill shit coming out.  If it all sounds the same your arent' listening to the right shit.  Name some specifics guys

abZ
LOL I was thinking of High Contrast and Calibre and all that shit when he was talking about writing on the piano.  Make deep house, who cares?  But happy hardcore, christ.  I feel the same way about dnb (pretty much) I have been on the dubstep tip production and dj wise.  Carry on.

1 2 3

Main MessageBoard / Music Production & Mixing Techniques /
SITE LINKS
Marketing
About Us
Privacy
Legal
SITE HELP
Contact Us
FOLLOW US
Lolli.org on Facebook Facebook
Lolli.org on Twitter Twitter
Lolli.org RSS Feed RSS Feed
NAVIGATION
Events
Msgboard
Mixes (New)
Mixes (Top)
Music Genres

Marketing
Artists
Interviews & Articles
Photo Gallery
Contests
Who We Are

New Mixes Top Mixes Genres
Member Stats
Interviews and Articles Photo Gallery Contests Who We Are
My Messages My Pics My Events My Artists & Mixes Account Settings Customize Lolli Logout