Main MessageBoard / Music Production & Mixing Techniques /

1 2 3 4
fonz
Im only posting here to get Christians idiotic posts out of the new threads

abZ
Original post from fonz
Im only posting here to get Christians idiotic posts out of the new threads
You care entirely way too much.  I believe you can add him to your ignore list but that would be too easy eh?

fonz
I forgot about that, I've never used that function, good idea.  Dohhhhh.  

jskratch
abZ-"Nope, the 3500 has a direct drive motor. Have you ever used a 5000?"

right. not a belt driven but a motor driven platter. never used the 5000 but have used the 3500 and the one before that. i was not impressed with the torque ratio or feel of either. i still think the CDX's are the closest thing to vinyl emulation besides serato etc..

abZ
Well I got that info from a dood that owns a pair of them and he is not the only one that thinks that.  Of course I haven't opened one up to find out for sure but you would think if it was direct drive they would say it was just like they do on the subsequent models.  Doesn't really matter either way anyway the point is the platter sucks.  

SkullCrusha
jakey wakey!

RSK
Transender
It is best to use whatever method you do best.  However, I've been using only the pitch fade for a couple of years now and it has increased my abilities ten fold.  Eventually I got to the point that I don't even have to think about it.  My hands just reach over and correct the pitch while I'm doing something else.  It is a really nice skill if you want to be able to just throw a record on and bring it in right away.  I have gotten to be able to put a record on the platter and have it mixing in within a few seconds becuase you can make the adjustments while the record is playing over the system without people noticing the adjustment.  This technique also allows you to make longer mixes without the crowd noticing it in the sound.  I have been able to mix records for 3-4 minutes and only have to make minor adjustments with the pitch fade.

fonz
Since I got my setup here finally I barely touch that motherfucker at all.  And like i said i still get my hand slapped so I learned lol.

junglejake
wow i cant believe this post is still going on. WORD to ya moms.

mcpoe
Original post from DJNitro
Whats a "record"? Real DJ's use 8tracks.
shit yeah

8 tracks and cassettes bitches

pitch shit that motherfuckers

DUBV
Premium Member
Usually when you touch the platter you end up having to adjust the pitch anyway so why not just eliminate a movement so you can concentrate on other shit? Unless of course you're just slamming the fader, then touching the platter is rather effective and doesn't hurt your mix....

mcpoe
Original post from DUBV
Usually when you touch the platter you end up having to adjust the pitch anyway so why not just eliminate a movement so you can concentrate on other shit? Unless of course you're just slamming the fader, then touching the platter is rather effective and doesn't hurt your mix....
interesting point, but i cant slam mix for the life of me, it dosent work for my style so i leave it alone

hoppa
Original post from DUBV
werd...

adonis
yea, if you have to keep your hand on the pitch the ENTIRE time you mix, than so be it.

the tech1200s are more acurate that you can imagine. have u ever played 2 of the same records, locked on zero? they stay on indefinately. so theoreticly if u can find the right spot on the pitch to match 2 different records, they would too.

yall platter pushers need to recognize.

(bigB sound,NPP sound, FULL HOUSE)
EricBliss
I think there are times you can push the platter in a pinch without it being noticeable.  I've definately stopped in the middle of recording a demo because for some stupid reason I'd start touching the platter like crazy to fix something that to my ears was completely outta control, then I'd go back and listen to it and it wasn't even that noticable, mistakes, platter pushing, whatever.

You can't have any kind of sustained chords or melodic density though.    Once in a while I think it's ok if you're dealing with just a simple, minimal intro or something that's dry, stacatto and percussive to push it just a tad especially if you're freaking out about something or your hands are elsewhere.   If you push a slow record forward though you simply CANNOT adjust the pitch immediately after.   I slip sometimes when mixing and if you push the platter forward, just get your hand on the fader and WAIT for it to go ever so slightly off beat before you start fixing again.

For about 90% of the time, using the fader is your best bet, especially when youre cueing the record.   Using just the fader will get your record ready to go in no time (which is why I loathe battle style so much, sure put the tonearm in front of my most important doo-hicky that I need constant access to) and riding it during the mix can only leave you with a super clean mix.   If it goes off just a hair, especially if your balls deep into a track with really melodic stuff going on, you wont even be able to notice minor pitch adjustments.    I dunno this is just how I do it.  Sorry if it came accross as telling a person what to do.   I suppose that whatever works best for you works best for you whether others disagree or not.

Check out some mixes!  Trance and breaks.  http://lolli.org/Artists/Eric-Bliss.aspx  and also www.deejay-mixes.com/Eric_Bliss
EricBliss
Yeah knowing tracks is really important especially if you have the chance of overlapping vocals between tracks.  That's the worst ever when people play shit like vocal house and you can hear two different vocals on top of each other.  

Except for these two happy hardcore records I used to have the overlapping vocals that went really well together!   One with the repeating vocals "Only time" and one with "Just a matter of time" over and over.  The keys matched perfectly and it was a really rare case when playing two vocals together didnt sound obtrusive.

If I'm cutting a lot between the records I'll push and brake the platter like mad but rarely when the record is actually playing.  When I bring it up for the real mix though forget about it it does sound real bad when you get that "Rrrrrrrrrewwww!" sound.    Don't think I have much more to add to this.

Check out some mixes!  Trance and breaks.  http://lolli.org/Artists/Eric-Bliss.aspx  and also www.deejay-mixes.com/Eric_Bliss
EricBliss
Maybe one other thing.   Some of you might totally think I hate every form of battle style from my one post but it really depends on how they're set up.   If the tables are too high up and far apart from the mixer it's almost impossible to mix comfortably with just the pitch fader.    When I play at the Wedge I stand sideways and try to concentrate more on getting a decent mix out than going crazy cutting up with the faders and that helps.   It looks less cool but it's all about what's coming out of the speakers anyways.

Trying to hold a mix for a few minutes while working the mixer is at times extremely difficult if the tables are battle style and too high up or far apart.   To be honest most times battle style isn't a problem which is shocking considering the most important tool for a DJ trying to hold a long mix is right behind the tonearm.  

I try to get around touching the platter if at all possible but sometimes it's just too uncomfortable to mix with the pitch faders while working the mixer at the same time when they're battle style in certain situations.   To be honest I've seen some serious platter pushers live and you can't really hear it that well through a really loud system anyways.    

I change the way I play depending on the situation.  Rarely do you get a "Just like home!" feeling in a live environment.  It's always different.   Sometimes you need both earphone cups on.  Sometimes you dont.  Sometimes I can play live and just use the pitch faders.  Sometimes I play out and have to mess with the platters.  It all depends.  

stuff
Hold your piss for two hours and see how well you can mix without touching the platter.

EricBliss
I'm on it! I'll letcha know how it goes.  :-P  

Bad experience?  hahaha

Eric

tika
oh i dont wanna hear it you dudes can totally pee in a bottle behind the decks or something :P

Queen of the Lolli.org Paparazzi // mixes, pics, fun stuff -> kooterkore.com
EricBliss
I could but I wouldn't want to give any watersports enthusiasts the wrong idea.  

stuff
I haven't had a bad experience yet. But it was close last weekend. I had to piss so bad and it was impossible to get a song in then have enough time to fight my way through the mob on the dance floor - piss - then get back.. And it was like 12:45 and there was no way I was busting the floor up with one of my opening mix cds. Then my boy, the other dj finally came back from socializing right before I just let it go, haha. It was one of those pisses, where it's a really weak stream and you keep pissing forever.

NickS
i think pitch riding is more important with dnb mixing then with techno/house/breaks(the slower stuff)...with dnb the tempos are so jacked up its alot more noticable when you overspin/brake the record...that being said no matter what i try not to touch the platter...when i do touch i never try and spin up, that seems to be the surest way to a trainwreck...id rather do a little platter braking while holding the pitch control...seems to keep things fairly smooth, although riding the pitch is the only way to keep things absoluetely smooth.

Konztant
Vocals over vocals only works if you have the 2 tracks in sync so it seems like the vocals are singing to eachother. I personally don't use much vocal tracks unless it's jungle. I have only spun 2 vocals together once, and it sounds good, but you don't get to do that often cuz it's hard to find records that end up like that. I ussually stay away from even doing it.  When it comes to mixing....I just do what I can to make it sound smooth. Anyone that's heard me spin, knows that I don't do smooth that much. I do what ever it takes, weather it's pitch control to touching my record. just give it a tap tap aroo....Just don't touch it when it's on.! I tend to do that, and then I loose it and have to get it back while time runs out...I hate saves...but it happens.

OMEN
I have finally broke myself of the habit of touching the record!!

I still do it when you need to slow down in a hurry or just need to speed up in the a hurry....but after listening to myself mix and having others comment i have broke myself of the nasty habit of touching the records when its not needed....Thank you goes to my dj friends that werent scared to yell at me lol

Check me out at FUNK'D UP and RYOB4!
1 2 3 4

Main MessageBoard / Music Production & Mixing Techniques /
SITE LINKS
Marketing
About Us
Privacy
Legal
SITE HELP
Contact Us
FOLLOW US
Lolli.org on Facebook Facebook
Lolli.org on Twitter Twitter
Lolli.org RSS Feed RSS Feed
NAVIGATION
Events
Msgboard
Mixes (New)
Mixes (Top)
Music Genres

Marketing
Artists
Interviews & Articles
Photo Gallery
Contests
Who We Are

New Mixes Top Mixes Genres
Member Stats
Interviews and Articles Photo Gallery Contests Who We Are
My Messages My Pics My Events My Artists & Mixes Account Settings Customize Lolli Logout