Main MessageBoard / Music Production & Mixing Techniques /

1 2 3 4
junglejake
Biggest piece of advice I can give to anyone. DONT TOUCH THE RECORDS. USE THE PITCH FADER WHEN MIXING.

shadowstarr
exactly i even use my psychic abilities to put the record on the plater.

whats this?
abZ
LOL I though you were going to say something about other people touching your records while you are trying to do your thing.  I will take someones head off for that.  ASK for a rewind, I don't care who you are.

Your right though "pitch chasing" will give you the best results as long as you are practised at it.  I have to touch the records if I am mixing while intoxicated.  You won't hear it as long as you are not making big adjustments and have a light touch.

fonz
Im not bad about it when Im speeding the record up but slowing it down I need to keep my hands off that bitch.  Im getting better with using strictly the pitch control, but thats cause my friends smack my hands when I do it sometimes haha.  

junglejake
big up pitch control massive. ratana and preslav made me master it a few years back and it has increased my skillz ten fold. i think it helps alot also when using CD decks. you never know what those digital platters are going to do when you touch them.

stuff
If you have good cd players, the platter will react the same all the time.. Or am I smoking crack?

Gunther
you cant scratch with the pitch fader... you must touch the records

fonz
Original post from stuff
If you have good cd players, the platter will react the same all the time.. Or am I smoking crack?
yeah they react the same and its easier to control smoothly by just a little turn fwd or back on the side platter.  But the pitch control is so precise and reactive and locked once its on that it makes it a lot more unecessary to touch it.  Even though it I guess it should be totally unecessary most of the time but I still use the platter on cds and vinyl. May be inexperience or may be habit or a combination of both but it gets the job done and nonetheless its more controllable 4 me on a cd platter.

fonz
Original post from stuff
Yeah they react the same and its easier to control smoothly by just a little turn fwd or back on the side platter.  
But the pitch control is so precise and reactive and locked once its on that it makes it a lot more unecessary to touch it.  
Even though it I guess it should be totally unecessary most of the time but I still use the platter on cds and vinyl. May be inexperience or may be habit or a combination of both but it gets the job done but nonetheless its easier to use the platter backwards 4 me on a cd platter so I still do it.

fonz
Original post from stuff
Yeah they react the same and its easier to control smoothly by just a little turn fwd or back on the side platter.  
But the pitch control is so precise and reactive and locked once its on that it makes it a lot more unecessary to touch it.  
Even though it I guess it should be totally unecessary most of the time but I still use the platter on cds and vinyl. May be inexperience or may be habit or a combination of both but it gets the job done but nonetheless its easier to use the platter backwards 4 me on a cd platter so I still do it.

fonz
Original post from stuff
Original post from stuff

fonz
Whoa, I don't use the quote button here that much, I didn't think it was posting it when it showed the quote lol.  Sorry guys.

abZ
Wierd man.  I couldn't even reply either.  Lolli.org might be having a bad day.

Jake should have mentioned that he usually uses Absolutes Dennon belt drive cd players,  The platter is a joke on those things.  

shadowstarr
LOL belt drive cd player!

whats this?
stuff
Are you serious on belt drive cd players?

SkullCrusha
shutup jake.

RSK
abZ
No I'm totally serious.  DNS5000 I think is what he has.  They don't advertise it as being as belt drive they just claim that it is a "motor driven platter".

DUBV
Premium Member
Original post from abZ
No I'm totally serious.  DNS5000 I think is what he has.  They don't advertise it as being as belt drive they just claim that it is a "motor driven platter".
He's right from what I hear.....

jskratch
it's just like the dns3500. it has a motor driven platter.

abZ
Nope, the 3500 has a direct drive motor.  Have you ever used a 5000?

DUBV
Premium Member
Numark has that new turntable/cd player combo. Looks nice but I just noticed that it would be really impossible to set them up battle style. NOW THAT SUCKS!! Maybe they'll come up with the battle version later..

inertiaticESP
you usually cant hear the adjustment when touching the record if you touch the record that isnt dominant (or the record that doesnt have a higher pitch sound in it to really  accentuate the pitch adjustment) in the mix. unless you really tweak that fucker. but you should always be gentle.

stuff
How about this motherfuckers...

Do what you have to do to rock the party.

Who gives a fuck about what people think is right and wrong.
If it works for you then do it. Fuck other people and what they think.
When are people going to learn and be themselves.

djdarrenm
I touch the pitch control,  I touch the record, I touch the platter, I touch my girlfriend, sometimes I even touch myself (when I think about you)

Touching is good.

junglejake
haha at dj darren

stuff, take a chill pill. i was just giving my opinion on the best way i have found to mix records and thought id share my thoughts. ez mate

1 2 3 4

Main MessageBoard / Music Production & Mixing Techniques /
SITE LINKS
Marketing
About Us
Privacy
Legal
SITE HELP
Contact Us
FOLLOW US
Lolli.org on Facebook Facebook
Lolli.org on Twitter Twitter
Lolli.org RSS Feed RSS Feed
NAVIGATION
Events
Msgboard
Mixes (New)
Mixes (Top)
Music Genres

Marketing
Artists
Interviews & Articles
Photo Gallery
Contests
Who We Are

New Mixes Top Mixes Genres
Member Stats
Interviews and Articles Photo Gallery Contests Who We Are
My Messages My Pics My Events My Artists & Mixes Account Settings Customize Lolli Logout